Diabetic Eye Screening

dangrint

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic in Nov 2013 the first symptom being blurred vision this cleared as my blood sugar when down from 25.5 to around 5or 6 which it is now.I went for the above test on 18 December and have been told to return as there is signs of diabetic maculopathy that need to be checked further even though I feel well and my eyes are back to normal.What will be the likely treatment please

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
I was diagnosed as type 2 diabetic in Nov 2013 the first symptom being blurred vision this cleared as my blood sugar when down from 25.5 to around 5or 6 which it is now.I went for the above test on 18 December and have been told to return as there is signs of diabetic maculopathy that need to be checked further even though I feel well and my eyes are back to normal.What will be the likely treatment please
Well, I've had proliferative retinopathy in both eyes for a while now an the treatment for that, as with maculopathy, is laser surgery: don't worry though, the sessions are (fairly) short and I'm told that the maculopathy laser involves less actual burns than the retinopathy sessions require.

You'll have several eye drops- an anaesthetic then a dilatory or two- then a wait of a half hour, then the laser itself. Just do exactly as told, keep calm, and all should be well.

Reactions: 2 people

dangrint

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thanks for your helpful comments MarkE and advice I will let you know how I go.I hope your treatment is going well.

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
hi blood sugar levels will cause blurred vision without fail but whereas this clears as sugars drop again the long term damage to eyes is irreversible so regular screening is vital to all diabetics.