Emotional Exercise

turvell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
ok this is weird. i do running on my treadmill 30 mins every day. but i find that during the run i get very emotional and in some cases start to sob :( i realise that is well weird but does anyone else feel like that when exercising.

Reactions: 2 people

arjster

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Sundays!
That hasn't happened to me before - is there anything emotions-wise you're suppressing? Have you tried mindfulness?

I had some issues and mindfulness really helped me x

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Perhaps the time you spend exercising you're letting your mind wander too much and thinking too much ? What do you do when you exercise ? Have you tried wearing headphones and listening to music or watching TV or something ? I have too otherwise I just watch the secs counting down lol ! Torture !

turvell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
yeah i listen to music but then i am one of lifes thinkers. i think a lot about where it is i want to be in 12 months time. and i get angry about why i let myself get this way

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Think you're too hard on yourself ! If you're sat watching TV with a donut in your mouth then I can understand it but you are taking positive steps and working out ! Another technique which works well is listen to an audio book. This really works as you get drawn into the story. Try it !
Mo

turvell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
thats a really good idea. i think maybe you are right tho. maybe i should think about what im doing rather than what i have done

turvell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
you are right i just need to focus on what i want and not what i was

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
ok this is weird. i do running on my treadmill 30 mins every day. but i find that during the run i get very emotional and in some cases start to sob :(

Even the thought of a treadmill makes me feel down in the dumps.

There is a correlation between fitness, exercise and mood and many people do report that they feel more perky when they have got fit. Humans tend to react best when they see a benefit as a reward to their effort. Athletes would see this in terms of better times, increased weights lifted, more repetitions etc. To put in effort without seeing reward might be a bit soul destroying. In addition to entertainment type distractions, you might also like to set yourself some fitness targets. I use a cycle trainer and primarily watch live video of the route. Getting to the top of a hill is rewarded by a freewheel down on the otherside where I can enjoy the scenery. But there are also analytic programmes which measure time, heart rate, calories burned etc etc and make comparisons with earlier saved sessions. These can help stimulate the will to endure the effort.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
its wanting to exercise more than i want to eat cake lol

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is a strange effect (for me at least as I didn't have a sweet tooth before I was diagnosed) that I noticed initially that I craved sweet stuff for a while after exercise, but having said that eating a low carb snack with artifical sweetened made it go away, so it was obviously not a lack of carbs.

Then I twigged that what I was actually dehydrated and needed water, its very easy to misinterpret thirst for hunger. So now I drink continuously while exercising.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i dont know but maybe because your putting your energy into something else the energy you would normally put into suppressing your sadness...... sorry a bit deep, and probly rubbish

strange but i never cry when sad, but i cry with happiness alot, even at a cartoon film if im watching it with the kids lol its a cartoon, im a sucker for a happy ending in a film, but have to look away and think of the football because im too big and mean to be seen emotional lol

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
after exercise i struggle terrible with hunger, and for the rest of the day its a nightmare

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Yeah, I rarely show strong emotion publicly, but on my own thats another matter., the stiff upper lip loses its starch.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
same here i would never do it in front of anyone else just me and my treadmill. the more i think about it its the thought of been thin and happy that makes me cry so i guess you could say that it is tears of happiness in a way

turvell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Andy i could eat a horse and its scabby sister after exercise

turvell

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type