FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
Hi,

I'm struggling a little with rising bgs. In October I was getting readings between 5.5 and 9 and hba1c was 38. So reduced to one 500mg metformin Sr daily down from 2 on nurse direction.
Everything fine until start of December when I got a cold for 2 weeks. Gradually rising and I was getting some double figures.
Now I'm constantly getting double figures from small amounts of food.
Generally 12s and some up to 16. Nothing else has changed.
See nurse again in 2 weeks, but do you think increasing metformin will make enough of a difference? If I go back to 2 a day I can't see it making enough of a difference. I did wonder if my diabetes is seasonal affected as it was end of Nov last year I was diagnosed.

Ta

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. How old are you and are you normal or overweight? Going back to 2 Met won't make much difference, but every little helps as they say. There are further meds that can added by the DN if needed. The reason for my questions is to eliminate the possibility of a wrong diagnosis of T2 rather than Late onset T1. It's unlikely but possible and some of us have gone thru that loop. Do let us know.

FurryCub

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Football
My BMI is 28 but I play rugby regularly and I've just turned 37. I was on Gliclazide at the start of last year and they kept increasing it up to 160mg, then suddenly I started to get hypos and the bgs stayed low until now.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Winter bugs can linger on for ages, I've had one for over three weeks now and it not getting much better and BG's are higher than I normally enjoy ( if enjoy is the right word).

If you are a fit, muscular type of rugby player then BMI of 28 can easily be misleading, it really comes down to how much lean body mass you have compared to body fat, if you lose LBM or gain BF then this can increase insulin resistance over time.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi, I would certainly keep an eye on your blood sugar and possibly agree with the GP to increase the Gliclazide again. It is possible that you have slow Late onset T1. If this is the case you will need increasing meds to control blood sugar, but if you haven't already started controlling the carbs you must do that as that should be a great help