Carry case suggestions needed

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you T1 peeps using to carry around your stuff? I currently have a little case that came with my meter and to be fair it isn't bad and fits almost everything I need inc testing sharps, strips, meter, glucose tabs, needles and theres a tag outside to slide a pen in. Sadly it will only fit the one pen which for normal daily use is ok as I just take my bolus. It'd be nice to find one that is slightly larger that is still easy to carry but that will fit my Basal too.

I've seen some Desang ones on this website for sale but none float my boat really. The one I have at the moment is not too different in design to this http://www.joes-diabetes.com/diabetes-supply-cases.html other than I can only fit one pen in.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
Steve

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
Quick and cheap alternative is a pencil case or a mans toiletry bag/case .
These can be a good temporary thing to use till you find a more substantial suited case or man bag !
I think guys have a harder job at finding a suitable case to carry/use than the ladies to be fair .

Some drug companies will provide an insulin case/bag if requested nicely .
You could try ringing up the customer care/help line of your insulin manufacturers .
I got mine from mine when was on Levemir insulin .

Reactions: 5 people

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Quick and cheap alternative is a pencil case or a mans toiletry bag/case .
These can be a good temporary thing to use till you find a more substantial suited case or man bag !
I think guys have a harder job at finding a suitable case to carry/use than the ladies to be fair .

Some drug companies will provide an insulin case/bag if requested nicely .
You could try ringing up the customer care/help line of your insulin manufacturers .
I got mine from mine when was on Levemir insulin .

Cunning plan! I'll go and find their website :)

Reactions: 2 people

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What are you T1 peeps using to carry around your stuff? I currently have a little case that came with my meter and to be fair it isn't bad and fits almost everything I need inc testing sharps, strips, meter, glucose tabs, needles and theres a tag outside to slide a pen in. Sadly it will only fit the one pen which for normal daily use is ok as I just take my bolus. It'd be nice to find one that is slightly larger that is still easy to carry but that will fit my Basal too.

I've seen some Desang ones on this website for sale but none float my boat really. The one I have at the moment is not too different in design to this http://www.joes-diabetes.com/diabetes-supply-cases.html other than I can only fit one pen in.

Any recommendations?

Cheers
Steve
Hi Steve you seem to carry a suitcase around with you I would struggle to have any pockets for that lot. I carry different things for different occassions I use the stripless meter see link below I rarely use a case for it as it has a finger pricker attached that rotates for new pricker. Also no test strips required which saves you the hassle of juggling strips and dripping blood. The novo pen I carry like a pen being careful of extreme temperature.

https://www.accu-chek.co.uk/gb/products/metersystems/index.html?product=mobile

The technology of these meter also struggle in low temperature you may have found this out therfore I work outside and on very cold morning I get an error message so rarely use on a working day only when I get home as my background insulin makes control very simple. If I am out with the wife I use her handbag for storage it saves me carrying it around as I am not a lover of bags etc.

I think mainly I adapt to the occasion activity and the clothes i am wearing and I will also have to get out of using the same needle for the duration of the cartridge a bad habit of mine.

Regards

Reactions: 3 people

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Actually I've got one of those meters in my meds cupboard, I've only used it once. The nurse at the Docs gave it to me but the following day the Diabetic clinic gave me a different one that does ketones too. I might start taking that out, it saves using the lancets and strips as you say. Hmm. I'd just have to make sure I take glucose tablets with me too. I'd rather have those with me than insulin.

I can't believe you use the same needle! Does it not blunt and make you bleed? I only use mine once.

mikegresty

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
diabetes and neuropathy
I just use a cool bag and place my things in there along with a cold can of diet coke it works well and holds everything I need including 2 pens and blood tester and strips and even extra food items and gluco gel .

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Joes Small In One, is the perfect size. I can fit everything in it (2 pens, test strips, needles, lancet, lancet needles). The problem with it, is that it has got a terrible build quality. I've had mine less than a year and I've had to repair it twice.

Reactions: 4 people

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Joes Small In One, is the perfect size. I can fit everything in it (2 pens, test strips, needles, lancet, lancet needles). The problem with it, is that it has got a terrible build quality. I've had mine less than a year and I've had to repair it twice.

I've looked at that case, it seems ideal other than I think Desang make it and their build quality as you rightly say is below par. I've contacted my insulin manufacturers last night by email to see if they could recommend a case. They've emailed back this morning to say that they are dispatching one and I should received in the next 5 days. I'll keep you informed :)

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Please do, I've tried searching for ages for a decent carry case.

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I use the same lancet for months at a time, I only change it when it feels painful.
Yes I'm the same I have I probably use half a dozen a year when blunt if I have time I sharpen them on a Carborundum Stone just to get the extra mile out of it and if I am really stuck for supplies I resort to carpet gripper its very sharp and cheap and you can saw small pieces off to carry around with you without advertising you are a diabetic.

In the case of needle if they bounce of the skin its time to change them on a serious note though you should change them every time it just seems a waste.

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
UPDATE:

I emailed Sanofi the manufacturers of my insulin ( Lantus and Apidra) and they have sent me a case FOC which was rather kind of them. Here's a photo of it loaded with kit. It's rather good, perhaps a little too large for every day use but great for a full day or weekend out.

IMG_1536.jpg

Reactions: 9 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
How COOL :cool: that is ...
Perfect for all your bits and pieces too !
Great picture too .

Thanks for sharing it with us all too . :)

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
That Sanofi kit case looks great G2ADY. I was thinking I'd like to sew my own case, but I don't need to cos I've got 2 Desangs, a small one and a larger one. I've had them for years and they're still as good as new. No build quality problem, just as well because I think I'd struggle to mend them, as they're so tough.
Me too, Miklo, I admit I use the same needle many many times. I've acquired 2 boxes of them down the line and still have loads left. Perhaps that will be another new year's resolution. Carborundum and carpet gripper, lol, priceless.

JoeF636

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Ignorance. Injustice, when people don't like my witty tweetings (a combination of the previous two dislikes)
I've looked at that case, it seems ideal other than I think Desang make it and their build quality as you rightly say is below par. I've contacted my insulin manufacturers last night by email to see if they could recommend a case. They've emailed back this morning to say that they are dispatching one and I should received in the next 5 days. I'll keep you informed :)

Hi guys,

I'm Joe Fraser from Joe's Diabetes and just wanted to clear up a couple of things.

The Small-in-one is made by us (not Desang).

We did have some problems with build-quality in previous versions, but we've since changed manufacturer and they've improved dramatically. Please come and check them out at http://joes-diabetes.com/pages/joes-small-in-one.

Also, if you've got any comments about them - what you like or what we could improve - then please let me know!

Reactions: 3 people