How were you diagnosed

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I had felt ill for a few weeks was seeing gp anyway and they did a urine sample which found sugar had a blood test the next day however wasn't due to get results for a week. After a week of being sick every time I ate and not sleeping well. Plus needing to wee all the time. Saw out of hours gp to ask for a sickness jab he got the nurse to check my bg which was 28 and ran the hospital to have me admitted. Did go out clubbing first couldn't accept what they had said and went to hospital at 3am and spent 3 days on a insulin drip.

The year before I had a few high bg levels however all tests came back normal. Since finding out nearly 2 years ago at 26 have been on insulin ever since.

paul1183

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed august 13. I had been working and felt really tired also had the symptoms of thirst and going to toilet constantly was drinking lots too. I noticed I was also losing weight rapidly so went to doctors thinking I was prob just fatigued from work and travelling to and from work and doctor took a blood test and said I would have my results in a few days and he sent me home only for him to phone me up 2 hours later to ask if he could come to my house ASAP to do a blood glucose test. So the doctor came to my house pricked my finger and did a test and my blood test came back as 27.4 he then told me to go to hospital right away and offered to drive me there himself. So I got to the hospital and was admitted with DKA I felt fine just felt really tired and thirsty so was admitted into high dependency unit at the hospital and put on a sliding scale and was started on insulin was kept in hospital for 5 days and then sent home my head was bursting with all the info and I was really worried about how I would manage the diabetes but I have been getting there just taking each day at a time.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed 28 years ago this month, aged 12. I had been to Dr with a sore toe which he (mis)diagnosed as an ingrown toenail. Weight loss and skin parlor put down to anaemiax without a test. Had the thirst/wee cycle and became very ill very quickly. A locum came to the house. I was so dehydrated that when I'd inhale the pain was vicious (my lung was rubbing against my rib cage). I was also delirious. He said I had a bug and to go sit by the fire. My father asked if he thought it was diabetes and the doctor laughed and said no. That night my father checked on me while I was sleeping and found me in a coma. Woke up 26 hours later in intensive care Had been given a 50/50 chance of surviving and apparently if my father hadn't checked on me I probably would have been dead by morning. A lot of medical incompetence involved. I actually thought I had put it behind me but as I'm typing I feel really really angry about it and am crying. Sorry for the overspill.

Reactions: 4 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
I was diagnosed by my T1 son by using his meter and getting a reading in the low 20s. I had been warned my hba1c was approaching pre diabetic in a test done around 18 months earlier and advised to follow the NHS diet. The results of a follow up test done 3 months later that would have diagnosed me T2 never got sent to me and when I went to the docs after my son did my BG my Hba1c was over 11% (100 mmol)

Falcon

I've been diagnosed 7/8 years. I am now 56. I had been going to the GP for 4 years saying I'm exhausted all the time. They gave the same answer. "What can you expect looking after a seriously to profoundly disabled child.". One thing they did notice was that I had a higher Gamma GT level in my liver - an indication of alcohol abuse. So no alcohol for 6 months and very little effect on Gamma GT result. Then you must be depressed because of son. Couple months of antidepressants and no change. Having been suspicious of being diabetic for a good number of years I let my younger sister persuade me to go to Lloyds pharmacy and do a blood sugar check. They then sent me back to the GP to get me fully diagnosed. GP was shocked and asked for family history. (first time after 4 years) Don't really know about my Dad's side was all I could tell her. After the test which consisted of taking a blood sample then drinking a bottle of Lucozade (trying to keep that down was great fun) and taking another blood sample 2 hours later. I was diagnosed with Type 2. and put on Metformin, which did nothing no matter how high they increased the dose, Then a Sulphonurea, which worked until I got a nasty infection which totally knocked my pancreas out. I am now on Insulin and can really control my Diabetes with limited input from health professionals especially GPs!
T2 Insulin Dependant
Lantus
Novo Rapid

Manfred

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Noise
I've been diagnosed 7/8 years. I am now 56. I had been going to the GP for 4 years saying I'm exhausted all the time. They gave the same answer. "What can you expect looking after a seriously to profoundly disabled child.". One thing they did notice was that I had a higher Gamma GT level in my liver - an indication of alcohol abuse. So no alcohol for 6 months and very little effect on Gamma GT result. Then you must be depressed because of son. Couple months of antidepressants and no change. Having been suspicious of being diabetic for a good number of years I let my younger sister persuade me to go to Lloyds pharmacy and do a blood sugar check. They then sent me back to the GP to get me fully diagnosed. GP was shocked and asked for family history. (first time after 4 years) Don't really know about my Dad's side was all I could tell her. After the test which consisted of taking a blood sample then drinking a bottle of Lucozade (trying to keep that down was great fun) and taking another blood sample 2 hours later. I was diagnosed with Type 2. and put on Metformin, which did nothing no matter how high they increased the dose, Then a Sulphonurea, which worked until I got a nasty infection which totally knocked my pancreas out. I am now on Insulin and can really control my Diabetes with limited input from health professionals especially GPs!
T2 Insulin Dependant
Lantus
Novo Rapid

MarkE

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Woo
Well, I'm in my 40s, and was diagnosed type II @3-4 years ago now. My girlfriend as was (wife now!) saw that my weight was ridiculously low and dropping and I was ill all the time- and on checking my BS level, the doctor took one look at the results (25+) and put me on meds immediately, and get me to the diabetic clinic.

I've got proliferative retinopathy (6 sessions laser right eye, 2 in the left so far) and am still catching every bug you can think of, but my weight is up and my health is improving. So: all is good(ish)!

Ali B

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
  1. I went to the local walk in centre on the way to work one morning as I had a water infection. The Nurse came out and told me I had to go to my Doctor there and then as he thought I was diabetic. Went, got sent to the diabetic clinic that morning at the hospital where it was confirmed. They told me they thought I'd had it around four years..i still dont know how they can tell that. No one else in the family has it and they asked if I'd had a trauma around four years ago. I had and they said thats how the diabetes was triggered.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I was losing weight and was constantly thirsty, so much so I could have drank from a tap constantly. After a bit of persuasion from my mother I went along to my gp and he tested my urine and told me bluntly that I had diabetes, he said he'd ring the hospital and be in touch. I went home and it wasn't until 3 days later that I was admitted, spent 5 days in hospital getting use to injections, testing urine for glucose and having my first hypo induced, once they were happy I was sent home and the rest is history.

Abihughess

When I was 4 years old, my mum was getting me and my brothers (3 of them) ready for school and I kept on nagging her for a drink, because she was busy bathing my little brother, she asked my eldest brother to make me a drink, so he made me a drink of water in a pint glass, and I gulped it in two swigs. My mum noticed it, and thought it was rather unusual for a 4 year to drink like that, she made an emergency appointment for me that day and took an urine sample from me. When I got there she explained her concern to the doctor so the doctor checked my urine sample with a ketone stick, he did this a few times. I was later emitted to hospital with sugar levels ranging in the high 30s. There I was for 2 weeks, I never at the time understood what the hell was happening to me. I'm 17 now and I'm happy and healthy, managing my diabetes one day at a time :3

lizdeluz

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It was a relief to be in a doctor's surgery and being listened to. I'd worked out what was wrong by going to a school library and looking up my symptoms in a book. This was 1985. I was doing a stressful part-time job, living in an area I didn't know, looking after my toddler daughter and against my judgment leaving her at a childminder while I worked. My illness started with a bad cold, then extreme thirst, anxiety and exhaustion and weight loss followed on. I said to the gp that I thought I was diabetic, she did a bs test which she said confirmed it, I went home, but by the time I got there she'd phoned my husband to tell him that I was expected at Leicester Royal asap. I took myself there on the bus, and the rest is my diabetes history......:)

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had felt ill for a few weeks was seeing gp anyway and they did a urine sample which found sugar had a blood test the next day however wasn't due to get results for a week. After a week of being sick every time I ate and not sleeping well. Plus needing to wee all the time. Saw out of hours gp to ask for a sickness jab he got the nurse to check my bg which was 28 and ran the hospital to have me admitted. Did go out clubbing first couldn't accept what they had said and went to hospital at 3am and spent 3 days on a insulin drip.

The year before I had a few high bg levels however all tests came back normal. Since finding out nearly 2 years ago at 26 have been on insulin ever since.

tonal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I was diagnosed 19 years ago, I had been losing weight but was glad of that but by Xmas thought I needed new glasses and the optometrist sent me to the eye hospital because of high pressure in my eyes. Turned out of course I was diabetic. Now on Lantus once a day and on 4 Diabex a day. Averaging 6.8. Only thing wrong is no feeling in my feet. Don't know if I have shoes or socks on until I look!

Big piggy

It all started with an eyesight check. There was a slight blur in my left eye which was NOT because of retinopathy. Long story short, I had to undergo an MRI which showed a Piuatry tumour large enough to press up against the optic nerve. To establish which hormones I was lacking, because the tumour had damaged the gland I spent a week in St. Bartholomews Hospital undergoing some pretty strange tests. One of which resulted in me being diagnosed as T2 Diabetic. That was 23 years ago and many many operations specifically for retinopathy, am registered blind. Let this be a warning to everyone, be vigilant when it comes to your eyesight. Don't take any chances. Get any problem checked out immediately and take action!

Metformin...... Gives me the 'runny-bummy'
Pioglitazone...... Gives you bladder cancer
Sitagliptin...... Blows me up like a balloon

I'm so happy...... Lol

Sable_Furr

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Long story - both my parents are T2 so I was tested every 6 months over about 4 years with negative results each time. Spring 2004 I spent a week in hospital having heavy duty intravenous antibiotics for cellulitis in my right foot - now I realise it was a warning. In summer 2004 my dad had a bad fall in the July and after putting off going to the doctor until the October he ended up in hospital from 1st December to end of the following January with massive infection following keyhold surgery to his shoulder. I spent the whole of that time being the family chauffeur and running my mother to and from the hospital every day as well as looking after my T2 husband and working full time. I lost 2 stone in 2 months and was exhausted but never felt ill at all. By the March the stress had got to me and I had to be sent home ill. Spent the week at home getting worse until I had to go to the hospital in a taxi on the Friday because I couldn't keep water down, and collapsed in A&E. I was rushed into theatre (fortunately my mother had a friend working at the hospital whose cousin was the chief endrocrinologist who was in on that day and operated on me). I was diagnosed as T1 and apparently I was minutes away from slipping into a diabetic coma with no potassium or sodium at all in my system. Am now on Novorapid 3 times a day and Lantus at night. The best reason they can come up with in my case is extreme stress overload.

NormanLes

Type of diabetes
Type 2
A bit strange really!
I was being discharged from hospital after having had a heart attack. The Ward Sister asked if I knew I had diabetes? "No" was my immediate response feeling a bit concerned! However when the doctor came to sign me off I mentioned the diabetes, "You don't have daibetes" he said.
On my return home I had a 'Wellman' appointment with my local GP during which I was told I did have diabetes, subsequent tests proved I had type 2.
The annoying thing is that so many people said "I wouldn't have thought you were obese, Norman"....I've never been obese in my life!!!

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Been poorly for 12 months off and on, loosing weight, coughing up blood. Went to docs, was more concerned with weight loss at this time. On the spot sugar test was 9, sugar showing in urine but no result from that, sent away told wait result. Phoned 3 days later, asked to phone back, phoned again 5 mins before surgery was closing, managed to speak to a doc explaining symptoms getting worse, stomach cramps, (poops) no vomiting though. He said hed loook at my results said well your sugars were 9,...long pause, mr xxxxxx you have very high ketones I phone hospital and go straight there but don't drive yourself. I said is this bad then (doh) , he said yes, get to a and e. On a sliding scale for 3 days, loads of blood tests, told type 1. age 33. now pumping.

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
judgemental people, billy liars,
i was told minutes b4 an operation witch was cancelled :( then discharged by a nurse who departing words to me was there be no christmas pudding for you this year followed by her laughing. i thought i was going to kill her, the gp was kinder and assured me it was highly controlable if i tryed hard, this was all in dec last year so new still. .. i had no symptoms or signs and was perfectly healthy until my urine sample tipped up at 18.1 xx
Why did they cancel your operation honey?

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
because my sugers come back at 18.1 before the op and i was risk to knock out with it so i was told. gutted now have to join que again x

simking

I was five months pregnant when I was diagnosed wiv gestational diabetes and hadnt noticed symptoms such as going to the toilet often and feelin tired as I was pregnant. I didn't hav very good control and knew I'd hav the baby at 38wks due to her size...she weighed 9lb 12oz (thank god for c-section). I was taken off the insulin after a few days and found I had blurred vision and was told I had T1.