Lost the battle with cholesterol, any particular type of Statin is better?

brightstation

So my GP has given my 6 months to reduce my cholesterol without resorting to statins and reluctantly agreed to extend it by a further six, unfortunately levels remained constant at 5.6 (3.7 LDL).

I know ultimately it is my decision but I am now considering going along (please no need to tell about the cholesterol myth etc) and was wondering if it is best to request a particular type of Statin (and why would be great)? I am T2 controlled by diet and exercise and A1C came out at 38/5. 6 (a success here as it was 8.6 12M ago)

Many thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Well they all seem to try you on simvastatin as it is cheapest but I would try it but keep an eye out for probs and get back to them for alternatives if the one you are on gives probs.
(this statin of choice may change as the proprietary brands come out of patent)

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Simvastatin didn't work for me at all, and they caused problems through side effects. Atorvastatin has been somewhat better and caused no side effects at all, but the biggest effect on cholesterol and triglycerides was from cutting right back on carb intake and increasing cardio.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Reducing Cholestrol in the body by natural means is very difficult . There are several herbal remedies including a brand of Spread that is promoted and claims to reduce Cholestrol. Only problem to be effective you would practically have to live entirely off of this particular product for it to be effective despite what all the TV advertising claims.
Most of the 'Statins' work in the body in that same way (I've personall been on Simvastatin for years now) and never evperienced any problems with and which is best taken at night before bedtime, where the active ingredient is then most effect and when the body is producing the greatest quantity of Cholestrol.
Cholestrol reading should also be broken dow into the HDL/LDL and VLDL levels of Cholestrol, rather than just quoting the Total Cholestrol as is so often the case. The LDL and VLDL levels being the more important (The higher reading the better) where-as the HDL should be kept as LOW as is possible.

brightstation

Reducing Cholestrol in the body by natural means is very difficult . There are several herbal remedies including a brand of Spread that is promoted and claims to reduce Cholestrol. Only problem to be effective you would practically have to live entirely off of this particular product for it to be effective despite what all the TV advertising claims.
Most of the 'Statins' work in the body in that same way (I've personall been on Simvastatin for years now) and never evperienced any problems with and which is best taken at night before bedtime, where the active ingredient is then most effect and when the body is producing the greatest quantity of Cholestrol.
Cholestrol reading should also be broken dow into the HDL/LDL and VLDL levels of Cholestrol, rather than just quoting the Total Cholestrol as is so often the case. The LDL and VLDL levels being the more important (The higher reading the better) where-as the HDL should be kept as LOW as is possible.

You sure you got the LDL/HDL argument the right way round? if not I have not problem with 'bad' cholesterol

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
HDL is good cholesterol. There are two types of LDL, one of which is bad, the other is less harmfull (if at all), dont know what they are called though.

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
You sure you got the LDL/HDL argument the right way round? if not I have not problem with 'bad' cholesterol
i'm sure Lazybones has accidently got them mixed up.
Thommothebear,
I can't rcall the fancy names but the "large fluffy" LDL is innocuous and the small dense LDL is the bad one!

Reactions: 2 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
i'm sure Lazybones has accidently got them mixed up.
Thommothebear,
I can't rcall the fancy names but the "large fluffy" LDL is innocuous and the small dense LDL is the bad one!

Some other things to note.

1) The lower your trigs score the more likely LDL is made from the large fluffy good stuff.
2) The ratio of your total divided by your HDL is a far better indicator than just total

When you have a cholesterol test your LDL score is derived mathematically from your total, trigs and HDL scores. LDL is not measured directly by the test. You can ask the doctor to get a breakdown LDL test to see how much good fluffy LDL you have but the test costs loads and I've never heard of one person who has successfully persuaded a gp to get that test done.

A

AnnieC

I have been taking Simvastatin for the last four years without any problem and have never had any side effects from them

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

desidiabulum

I've been on Atorvastatin for 5 months now and no side-effects -- it had an instant and very good impact on trigs, LDL and HDL levels. I am on the smallest possible dose, though, and my GP is monitoring it carefully -- I had a whole gamut of tests after the first month to check liver function etc. I suspect that that is the key, really: don't sign up for life, but make sure that your GP is treating it as a carefully monitored experiment. Do ask whether, once the statin has brought levels down, you can then have some time trying to maintain the lower levels with diet and lifestyle changes alone.

My cholesterol had generally been OK -- total usually in low 4s, and different elements all within acceptable range -- but I had heart problems and it was those that made the statin inevitable for the time being.
Good luck!

fatbird

A low carb diet and lots of exercise can reduce cholesterol significantly. It is common for trigs to drop to 1 or better and HDL to go up. LDL can go up temporarily for a while-but usually settles down. See what diabetes.co.uk say.

Very sound advice.

FB

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Not used statins myself, but my trigs are always significantly better when I have been taking more exercise and drinking less wine.

In terms of statins, both my parents were on Simvastatin until middle last year and out of the blue their GP wrote to them and said it has been shown to ineract badly with several other drugs and he was taking them off it and putting them on Atorvastatin instead. Apparently the MHRA wrote to all GPs drawing their attention to the following:

http://www.mhra.gov.uk/Safetyinformation/DrugSafetyUpdate/CON180637

So I'd probably avoid Simvastatin just as a precaution.

Smidge

fatbird

"Not used statins myself, but my trigs are always significantly better when I have been taking more exercise and drinking less wine."

High trigs are an indicator of being an alcoholic also an indicator of high consumption of carbohydrates and injected insulin.
FB

Last edited by a moderator:

smidge

Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
"Not used statins myself, but my trigs are always significantly better when I have been taking more exercise and drinking less wine."

High trigs are an indicator of being an alcoholic also an indicator of high consumption of carbohydrates and injected insulin
FB

LOL - I don't drink that much wine honest!

Smidge

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
I've been on Atorvastatin for 5 months now and no side-effects -- it had an instant and very good impact on trigs, LDL and HDL levels. I am on the smallest possible dose, though, and my GP is monitoring it carefully -- I had a whole gamut of tests after the first month to check liver function etc. I suspect that that is the key, really: don't sign up for life, but make sure that your GP is treating it as a carefully monitored experiment. Do ask whether, once the statin has brought levels down, you can then have some time trying to maintain the lower levels with diet and lifestyle changes alone.

My cholesterol had generally been OK -- total usually in low 4s, and different elements all within acceptable range -- but I had heart problems and it was those that made the statin inevitable for the time being.
Good luck!

That is good news desidiabulum and sound advice about monitoring the progress when on ststins.

Not used statins myself, but my trigs are always significantly better when I have been taking more exercise and drinking less wine.

Not sure about the drinking of less wine Smidge;) but in all seriousness you've quite right about exercise having a positive impact on cholesterol levels.

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Simvastatin didn't work for me at all, and they caused problems through side effects. Atorvastatin has been somewhat better and caused no side effects at all, but the biggest effect on cholesterol and triglycerides was from cutting right back on carb intake and increasing cardio.

I'm on Atorvastatin too. I didn't have any side effects with Simvastatin, but saw a locum a few months ago who was really into his statins. He did a bit of a medicine review and said that he wasn't happy with me being on the simvastatin, switched it to Atorvastatin. I've never had a single side effect or problem.

angieG

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I am supposed to be taking Atorvastatins but everytime I take them I get aching legs and arms, dull headaches and end up having vivid dreams every night (never usually dream at all). I am fed up with them so I'm going to refuse to take them anymore.
My Mum had real bad problems with Simvastatin after about 3 or 4 years and ended up hardly being able to walk. Once she stopped them she began to improve straight away.
Some folks get no problems but I have met more that do than don't unfortunately.
I would say to anyone by all means try them but make sure you tell your Doctor if you have any side effects at all as serious muscle damage does not seem to be easily reversible afterwards.
Just my opinion, take advice from your GP etc.
Angie