Leaving the forum!

Claire

I do value this forum. It helped tremendously in the early days of being diagnosed to know that there are actually people out there experiencing the same problems as me, rather than just relying on the information given in the (old!) books I had got from the library.

BUT...I have to say that I am also feeling less and less comfortable with the tone of the forum. Most people here are great to talk to and very much appreciated, but increasingly members are posting aggressively against each other. I have logged off with a bad taste in my mouth on several occasions and also been on the receiving end of members who cannot tolerate the fact that everyone's opinion is different.

PLEASE, when the new forum comes, can we all make an effort to be nice to each other - we are here for support with a difficult condition, after all, not to argue.

hazey

sorry to hear you're leaving sukaren. i'm a new member and i can honestly say it's been a god send. i've had problems with my GP and if it wasn't for the information and support i've had i dont know what i'd have done. best wishes for the future with all you do

hazey

hazey

sparkle73

These post make interesting reading, and im really not surprised that some have opted to post annousmously, thats the fear factor on this forum playing a part. I actually think that the mods do a fair job on these forums, the best that they can do anyway under the cir-cu-mstances. The mods here have been given the hat, but not the stick, and with some consistent aggresive posters, the mods do need a big stick. For those posters who do seem to go out of thier way (take delight"Nero complex") to pull down, attack, insult ect etc, id like to remind them that most people who are here, are here because they feel isolated with their condition,turn to a forum like this for help and support, no matter what issues they may have, they are here because for a short time they dont feel so alone. for those who have been diabetic for a long time, may have forgotten what its like to have to shove needles into your body, and how at first it can be so traumatic, until you get used to it, i never did get used to it i must admit. Point is, you should be able to come to a forum like this, for lots of different reasons, for support, advice, and maybe give something back in return, like i tried to do, without being attacked. There are consistent members on here who dont really have anything to say if they are'nt attacking somebody, and are spoiling it for everybody else. They need to be got rid of before they bring this forum to it's knee's. As it is, the damage is being done already,as you can see by what people are saying. There are a few people who are going out of their way to intimidate other posters if they go agaisnt, (what seems to be a gang trying to rule the roost)with their opinions
So admin, time to give your mods the tools to do the job properly, or whats the point to having mods in the first place.

regards
claire

The Truth is out there

Lizbuff

I must admit there have been times when I've wanted to ask a question but haven't because I felt I'd end up in the naughty corner.
It is rather offputting to post when you know that unless you agree with the omnipotent chosen few, anything you do say will be villified.
I used to find this forum very helpful but in the last few months I've become very disappointed.
Perhaps if I felt I could post a question without being made to feel that all I have read is vacuous rubbish you might find my opinions are valid

ash

<blockquote id="quote"><font size="1" face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica" id="quote">quote:<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"><i>Originally posted by sugarless sue</i>
<br />Unfortunately the mods have no powers to ban anyone.We are also fighting a daily battle with spam,I have just deleted about 20 spams by the same person,I wish they'd get a %&$**@@@life!There have ,of late ,been several very opinionated members who have shouted down other members,I agree. The policy,however of letting everyone have their say can be a drawback.Also,however, we have some very good posters who give excellent advice and are very knowledgeable about diabetes in general.
Carefix has his following on this site,he has been a poster on here since the old forum.If you don't agree with his posts then don't read them!
I would ask the more vociferous posters(you know who you are) to tone it down a bit and allow that there are other people in this World who have an opinion different to them which may be equally as valid!

Knowledge is the key to control
<hr height="1" noshade id="quote"></font id="quote"></blockquote id="quote">

Giving mods rights to ban people (spammers)is long overdue. I think you have the patience of a saint

HBa1C 6.3 T2

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Thank you all for that support,in the main,you are a bunch of nice people,helpful to the newbies and packed full of good advice.As Claire says,lets make the new forum a happy place. One final thing.........Dennis....don't you dare leave!!!!

Knowledge is the key to control

kareeta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being so high I can barely open my eyes :(
Wow, a weekend away and we come back to this!:oops:

Sorry to see you go sukaren..I understand your reasons for coming to this decision.

Take care and I hope all goes well with your control in the future.

Karen

Russ

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Injustice
I for one am constantly thinking of leaving - I'll be no great loss I hear many say for I've not been contributing that long. I'm not worried about that. I do not like what the forum is becoming (in recent months) and some of the postings sicken me - they can be quite unpleasant. I am also scared of saying anything for fear of a snide response or attack from someone who disagrees with me because, say, I want to support someone.

It's very easy have a go at someone when they are weak, isn't it. Does it make the attacker feel stronger?

I am only saying this to add my voice to those who feel similarly. I'm sure we're in the majority but sadly, I am rather doubtful that anything can be achieved to improve matters.

Russ

chocoholic

I am also sad to see you go. I feel there are a "few" and only a few members who do seem to delight in pouncing on anyone with differing opinions to their own and that is a shame.
I like to feel I am somebody who will always weigh up differing advice on any subject but I don't like the aggressive tone of some posters who spoil it for others.
I wish you well, sukaren.

<font color="blue">Being a moderator is probably a pretty thankless task that takes a lot of time too, so I respect anyone who takes on the job of being a moderator.</font id="blue">

looks like there is a problem look how many members is giving same opinion there are people on here spoiling it for others or is it just on e memnber i think we know who well i'll say it anyhway sarahq is ruinning it for eveyone else all the time she is aloud to be here mods need to warn then ban

Rick

Gosh, this is all very exciting and just at the end of the Hollywood writers strike; I suppose they've got to get rid of all that dramatic prose and nerve-jangling, cliff-hanging plot twists and turns somewhere.

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
OK, a lot of you have made a similar point about either posting and feeling they have been attacked for daring to ask a question, or are simply afraid to ask because of the reception they might get.

I will repeat that Sue, Kareeta and I are not able to remove, ban or bar members. However what we can do is to remove posts that are offensive (as we do with the scores of spam postings that arrive every day).

What I suggest, and I would be grateful for your views on the suggestion, is that if someone posts a reply that you feel uncomfortable with or that you find offensive or unhelpful, then you should complain to the mods and we will delete the offending reply.

But you also have to bear in mind that some people who post really do need a kick up the backside to jolt them out of complacency or denial, or at least to start taking their problem seriously. If we provide that kick, then it certainly will feel uncomfortable for the originator, because what they really wanted was someonee to say to them "don't worry - you can carry on eating as many chocs and cream cakes all day as you want - it won't do you any harm at all".

Please note that this is only a suggestion, from me individually as a fellow member, and has not been discussed with the other mods or with Admin, so input to the idea from Mods/Admin also very welcome.

chocoholic

Sounds fair enough to me,Dennis.

Cream cakes and choccies......?!!!! Now that would be silly.(Says she who gave in to an Easter Egg beckoning yesterday.....have you seen my Dawn French impersonation?!!!)Complacent, moi? Nah, just weak-willed and back to "trill" for breakfast this morning! I defy anyone not to go off the rails once in a while.)

saffy

Hi....As a very new member on here..i am shocked at what some people are saying....over 6 weeks due to advise on here ive gone from 15/20 BG to 6/8.6....that is all due to different peoples advise...if id carried on with nhs advise i dread to think were id end up...all i can say as a 61 yr old....we are adults...bickering is for children..as far as i can see..99% of people on here are out to help..if you cant see that then i feel sorry for you...no offence ment...Id like to say a big thank you to all who have helped me..this site is a godsend to me ....Saffy

sparkle73

Hi Saffy. yes i agree with what you are saying here, it's only lately that there as been a downturn on this forum. I for one, dont understand it. after all, dont we all have one thing in common having this condition. Dont we all have this common enemy that we have to try and beat everyday. speaking for myself i would have thought that would be a good basis for a strong community. Experienced veterans of our condition helping those that are new to this. Like you said, peoples experience of being diabetic and the day to day advise that they can give, beats hands down the advice you get from the MD. We all are different as people, and all have different views on things, thats what makes any community a rewarding place to be. I only hope that now this has been talked about, that some people will start to see the bigger picture, there aint no leaders here, every person that post is entitled to respect,if they ask questions or post a topic. If things dont change then all i can say is, the mods are going to have a busy time deleting the agressive clever posts that surface. this topic started because of sukaren being so upset with the aggresive feel to this forum, she feels she as to leave. That in itself (for those who give a monkeys) is really sad, she joined this forum because she felt she needed something from us and was let down badly. Even on this topic she was ridiculed by sugar with her clever "Bye then" post and called pathetic by some anon poster underneath that. All big and clever to attack a woman who is obviously very fragile and suffering at the moment. "I Dont think".... Most of us though wish her well i know, and for those who dont,think she is pathetic, then i can only hope when it's your turn to need something from somebody, you dont get the same heartless treatment, and at the very least, you have no idea what a forum like this is supposed to be about.

regards

claire

The Truth is out there

cally

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
As a fairly new member who tends to read posts, but not post often. I would like to stick up for Sarahq.
About many things she talks a lot of sense. As a fellow longstanding type 1 who has over the years read and heard a lot of ideas about diabetes, ranging from the brilliant to the frankly barmy. I also get a bit impatient with some of it.

I think one of the best things about this forum is the support it gives to the newly diagnosed and confused, long may it continue to do so.
Many people have a wealth of knowledge to share. We all have days when it all seems a bit much and we need support, and this is a great place to get it.

But.. There are always some who use it to promote what they believe to be right, backed up with dubious proof from who knows where, and then take it personally when someone else has the audacity to disagree with them!!

Cosy

Good for you Saffy I am still having a problem getting readings down, but I think that might be something to do with eating easter eggs etc !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Got to pull myself together. I have also found this site very helpful. Unfortunately any forum has its idiots and people who think only their opinion counts but as you say we are adults and should know what advice is relevant etc. Keep up the good work.

Administrator

Staff Member
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Hopefully the new forum will solve this problem.