Want to try low carbon diet but not lose weight

MrsB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Although I've been t1 for about 25 years I'm just realising how rubbish I am really when it comes to diet. I'd like to give low carbing a go but have no clue where to start. I eat about 200g a day. I definitely don't want to lose weight (am 5ft 2 and just under 8 stone).

Can anyone give me any good meal advice? I'm not exactly picky but can't/won't/don't eat eggs, yoghurt and bran :)

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi there.

As I've found out through this website there are many people that consider themselves to be low carb but their intake of carbs is very different . Some people eat under 100g other under 30g so I guess you have to decide how low you want to go & where you feel comfortable.

A good book about low carbing and controlling sugar levels is Dr Bersteins Diabetes Solution although this advocates a 30g limit so this isn't for everyone.

When I began low carbing I first got rid of the bread, pasta and rice out of my diet and have gradually got rid of fruit too (except occasionally) & this is because I find fruit spikes my sugars. I drink tea with milk and water but not fruit juice or squash.
A good thing to do is look for recipes online before you begin and look for alternatives to what you eat now so you don't feel deprived or unhappy with your diet.

My meals are something like this:
Breakfast - scrambled egg OR linseed crackers (I make these myself) with cheese

Lunch - salad With meat OR linseed crackers with meat OR meat and cheese and some veg

Dinner - stir fry with meat and a creme Fraiche or cream sauce OR meatballs with courgette spaghetti OR curry (made with curry paste and cream) and cauliflower rice.

I don't tend to snack. I eat a low carb, moderate protein & high fat diet. This means my sugar levels don't really spike and I'm not often hungry between meals.

My reason for not eating high protein is that if consuming huge quantities of protein it gets converted to glucose in a process of glycogenesis and it's not great for the body to consume a lot of it. Therefore fat fills me up (of which a smaller amount is converted to glucose).

I haven't lost much weight eating this way as my main goal was sorting out my sugar levels. I've lost a little bit but I'm not very heavy anyway so like I said that wasn't my main goal. You could try it and see and always go back to your previous diet or up the carbs again if you find you do loose weight.

I hope that helps. Anyway questions please just ask and I will do my best to help. Just be warned that there is a lot if controversy around low carbing and whether to do it or not and how to do it so you'll get a lot of different advice from different people and then have to do what you think it best for you.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi, i am T2 so know very little about the effects of low carbing and insulin but i know folks get on well with it, i am a huge low carbing fan so would encourage you to give it a try :) i think if you were to consider calories and not let them drop then you wouldnt/shouldnt lose the weight.

best of luck :)

A

AnnieC

Hi
Although I've been t1 for about 25 years I'm just realising how rubbish I am really when it comes to diet. I'd like to give low carbing a go but have no clue where to start. I eat about 200g a day. I definitely don't want to lose weight (am 5ft 2 and just under 8 stone).

Can anyone give me any good meal advice? I'm not exactly picky but can't/won't/don't eat eggs, yoghurt and bran :)

I am prediabetic T2 so do not really know anything about T1 and diets but like you I do not need to loose any weight so found it is a bit more of a problem when it comes to diet as very low carb could make us loose more weight. I have a low fat diet but I don't eat much in the way of starchy carbs like rice bread pasta because I don't like them much.and I don't have sugary stuff like cakes and puds so it can be a bit of a struggle to keep the pounds on. I do eat plenty of vegetables and fruit and have eggs 3 or 4 times a week and plain greek yogurt with berry fruits
I really think diet is very much trial and error to see what suits you best.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i haven't lost a lb in 6 months low carbing, so its not absolutely inevitable that you will lose weight, once my weight caught up with what i eat the weight loss stopped

Reactions: 3 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am a skinnOy type 2 I eat fairly low carb but I eat plenty of veg with butter I have berries with cream and for snacks I eat nuts and cheese I am actually trying to put some weight on so I try to snack between meals to keep the calorie intake up
CAROL

mike944

Snack on lots of nuts like walnuts, almonds and brazil nuts. Avocados are good and so are healthy oils like olive and rapeseed. Cut out any sugary drinks including fruit juice and eat fruits like apples, berries and grapefruit (if it doesn't affect your medication. don't eat grapefruit with statins). Cut the starchy potatoes, rice etc from your main meals and replace them with extra veggies. If you are going to eat something high in carbs try and make sure that it is something that has some positive nutritional values e.g high fibre.