Reading this forum is very frustrating

popsy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Crowds of people, my idea of hell would be a huge gathering of any sort!

Heights, scare me to death!
Liars, cheats. poseurs, any kind of violence, thieves and people who take advantage of others.

The way the world is going to hell in a handbasket.

Global warming, the melting ice caps, whaling..I mean what for?!

Cruelty

Having to give up my eat everything philosophy..and I really really dislike consequences.
Monkeynuts, I do understand your post, I do understand your frustration at the section of society that takes but gives nothing back. There is nothing laudable in such an attitude but for goodness sake where is your compassion? You advocate a good kick up the butt to bring others to their senses? No thanks, I had enough of that, more than enough, it did me no good whatsoever except to show me that there are people out there who don't give a **** about those not so strong as themselves.

There will always be people who want to know more and have a need to find out but the way we post differs for us all. Some really are at the end of their tethers when they come here and if that's bound up with govt benefits why don't they deserve a helping hand too? Life's rough enough for some without a an attitude that implies that their problems are not worth consideration because of the lofty ideals advocated in the OP.

I am glad that you have good control but did you do it all alone? Even at age 4? Someone out there must have helped you somewhere along the line, why not do that same for others?

Reactions: 11 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Monkeynuts, whilst your personal achievements are to be commended, I find your attitude to this forum and the people who use it, very arrogant and rather offensive. As a man with some self professed experience of diabetes as a Type 1 and of life in general, IMO you are sadly lacking in compassion and a willingness to support and encourage those less fortunate than yourself.

Reactions: 10 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Beachbag you have not added to this discussion apart from an personal attack on me. You must be reading the wrong forum. All i have done is encourage people to be positive and ignore the scroungers. I believe 28 years as Type1 is more than enough experience to comment. I would recommend you spend sometime with young diabetics before your start judging.
The reason I haven't previously contributed is because I've been out all day and just come online!
The "personal attack" was in response to your attack on this forum and the people who post here, and the way it made me feel.
As for spending time with young diabetics........... As a now retired, Registered General Nurse and State Registered Sick Children's Nurse, over a great many years I have spent considerable time with young diabetics :)

Reactions: 7 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Well it does not come across that way, those poor children. I think retirement was the best option with such a sharp attitude. Young diabetics need positive stories. That is the basic gist of these posts. I was attacking the people that are using diabetes as an excuse not to work etc. That is not the sort of thing young diabetics, in fact any diabetic, should be reading. You can lead a wonderful life with diabetes. My mission is to drown out the negative stories and help with advice if i can.
Trouble is, if you seek out bad opinions or posts, that's what you'll find ! Ignore the posts that offend you, they are normally quite obvious in the titles. Concentrate on those you think require help and offer it :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 4 people

chubbyian

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Arrogance
I wonder how many posts we could get on a page if we all put the letters after our name?? I for one dont need such a childish "badge" I am a very proud cleaner now, having taken early retirement. ;)

Reactions: 2 people

monkeynuts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Have a lovely evening folks. I'm off for a few beers and a curry. I promise to be more selective with the forums and help if i can.

L

Luna21

Perhaps some come on here to 'moan' if you want to call it that, as they can allow their frustrations, anger, and other issues to be shared with others who know what they are going through, rather than bore friends or family with diabetes talk all the time? I know I do!
I'm a very positive person, and I do have other health issues but I do feel that sometimes just sharing your experiences, not necessarily moaning, can be so beneficial. There is such a lot of good advice on here from seasoned members and no man or woman is an island.
Yes, agreed there are some who seem to want their diabetes to be classified as an illness which would help them secure social benefits - however I do think that these folks are few and far between.
The majority of us, I think, want to carry on with as normal a life as possible, but being able to come on here and let off steam, laugh, cry, ask for advice, or whatever in the knowledge that we are assured a warm welcome and a non-judgemental stance.
I certainly would not have been able to get my diabetes under control without the fine people on here.

Reactions: 3 people

monkeynuts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Haha all of us can have curries, just be selective. Bacon curry is great as no Carbs. With regards to beer its not a problem, its great for controlling BS.

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
You've stated twice that you "took control" of your T1D when you were 4 years old. You must have been a remarkable child. Your parents/guardian didn't research, shop for and prepare all your meals and drinks? Your parents didn't pick up your supplies and prescriptions? Your parents didn't book your appointments and take you to the doctor? Your parents didn't care for your overall health and well-being? You did all this yourself? Did you work then, too, and have to juggle work, spouse, family, friends, children and social obligations while you were "in control"? Of course not.

Although I am new, I don't think people come to this forum to promote their businesses and websites, nor to crow about their educational achievements. To do so, on a forum completely unrelated, is both arrogant and obnoxious. I think there was one "Dip" after your name you forgot to include.

Reactions: 13 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
We were all confused newbies once-was I always in control from the start? Hell no....Was I frustrated and needed to moan? Hell yeah! Some great people here and elsewhere started me on the path to great control but by no means did it happen overnight and I did my fair share of venting my frustrations in the early days but that's what support forums are for IMO

Reactions: 4 people

mcdonagh47

You've stated twice that you "took control" of your T1D when you were 4 years old. You must have been a remarkable child. Your parents/guardian didn't research, shop for and prepare all your meals and drinks? Your parents didn't pick up your supplies and prescriptions? Your parents didn't book your appointments and take you to the doctor? Your parents didn't care for your overall health and well-being? You did all this yourself? Did you work then, too, and have to juggle work, spouse, family, friends, children and social obligations while you were "in control"?

you forgot one, Super Tot drove himself to Docs and Hospital Appointments ;)

Does the "FA" in DipFA mean what I hope it means ?

Reactions: 2 people

monkeynuts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Of course my parents supported me in my younger years . However, they taught me to prepare and cook my owns meals from a very early age so I had as much control as possible. I was allowed 6monthly visits because i was well controlled which moved to 12 month check ups in my early teens and has never changed. I don't see how your comments are advancing this forum in the slightest. You have a lot to learn so would recommend you take a back seat and listen to the people who can help. Ive not mentioned my educational achievements only others which is most odd. People see success and naturally attack which again is a strange concept to me.

I hope people will listen and not focus on the negatives. Diabetes has its complications but don't let it stop you!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! EVER!!!!!!!!!!!

I think i can discuss type2. Both my cousin and nan had type2 before their passing so have a good understanding.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I don't think monkeynuts is motivated by a discussion on diabetes research, diabetes management or diabetes control but is intent on promoting his companies. You see 'seminars' on wealth creation through positive thinking held in hotels every weekend. Monekynuts is little more than a spammer in my opinion

See the BBC's Who wants to be a millionaire

Reactions: 7 people

izzzi

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I know this is not a SCAM or a confidence trick.( I am saying this for legal reasons) But when you start to search into things or titles after names etc; up pops that old friend "money grabber" from stupid people .

Be careful it might be someone out to get your details and hard earned cash .

tizzy

Well you've certainly stirred people up maybe your intention we are all in the same boat albeit the titanic in my mind people act differently some take charge undaunted others are brave and resilient some run around like headless chickens hoping to god someone will help them (I'm in this group) my husband would be the one building a boat out of a door and rescuing hundreds we all however need help at some point even brain surgeons are at the mercy of plumbers and electricians ect I remember once I drove like a maniac overtaking a learner on a corner what they didn't know was I could see the ambulance that was there for my father what I'm trying to say is things are not always what they seem and instead of making people feel bad about themselves wouldn't it be better to help and guide maybe just maybe there are underlying problems not just diabetes I know I struggle and have had very little help and up till a little while ago it was the least of my problems

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I think as a longterm Type1 i have the jurisdiction to comment with a degree of authority.

While agree very strongly that people make their own destiny and that negativity creates its own (lack of) rewards, I have at this point no alternative other than to withdraw my support for your views.

Reactions: 3 people

monkeynuts

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I agree completely Tizzy. Helping people is why we are here or to learn from others. However I kept reading negative posts which I didn't agree with. Sometimes silence is the best solution :)