Steve Redgrave T2 and straight onto Insulin.

duranie

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Winter!
You most certainly do not retain a type 2 label...I was originally diagnosed type 2 due to being in my 30s, and put onto insulin immediately...had huge numbers of open-ended up in hospital.in DKA after 3 years, now definitely diagnosed.And known.type 1 diabetes on an insulin pump

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Duranie. It was good to hear your diagnosis was corrected. Many of us have stuck with the T2 label which makes a non-sense of the statistics used for research purposes. I suspect very few LADA's with an existing T2 listing get changed generally because LADA is not often recognised by the NHS and the NHS tends to regard T1 as an 'at birth or shortly after' condition. Sadly a very dated approach.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi Duranie. It was good to hear your diagnosis was corrected. Many of us have stuck with the T2 label which makes a non-sense of the statistics used for research purposes. I suspect very few LADA's with an existing T2 listing get changed generally because LADA is not often recognised by the NHS and the NHS tends to regard T1 as an 'at birth or shortly after' condition. Sadly a very dated approach.

When I was re-classified as LADA,they changed my medical file although on the system there was only 2 options on the dropdown menu on the computer-Type 1 IDDM and Type 2 NIDDM and no mention of LADA/MODY or Type 1.5 at all so they selected Type 1 IDDM...It seems a bit outdated that these relevant subclasses are overlooked.

desidiabulum

Re Steve Redgrave -- it's possible that he didn't show up as LADA on GAD and c-peptide tests, in which case he might well have a form of MODY, some of which can deteriorate quite quickly, and which is often misdiagnosed as T2 (just thought I'd put in a word for us MODYs -- OK I admit we'd all like an Olympian for our own diabetes type!)

Reactions: 2 people