What has been your experience of taking ACE inhibitors?

desidiabulum

Hi all. ACE inhibitors are the next drug that I am being lined up to take (basically for heart condition rather than diabetes, though). I have read around about some of the side-effects, but I would like to ask people who have taken these to report their own experiences, positive and negative.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Hi Desi!

Most noteable one with me (Ramipril) is a slight cough but apart from that I haven't really noticed any others.

Best

Paul

Reactions: 3 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
Hi Desi

Ramipril certainly sorted my blood pressure issues, I take 10mg daily and have done for two years plus. ACE inhibitors also have a kidney protective function but not sure how that works.

Reactions: 2 people

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hi desi :). I've been taking Ramipril for thirteen years now and apart from an initial intermittent dry cough which cleared after a couple of weeks, and chilly hands and feet . I'm fine. My BP is steady at around 130/ 70 which I'm told is "good for my age" . Hope this info helps :)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Another who has taken Ramiprill for several years, so far all positive and never had the cough that sometimes is reported with taking this drug.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I take 2.5mg of Lisinopril and have had no problems with it. I seem to remember taking one at first which gave me incredible shortness of breath, but I can't remember which it was. I was taken off it in short order and given Lisinopril instead.

Viv :cool:

Lazybones

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Most of the blood pressure tablets that end in ....pril work in very similar ways. I've been on Enalopril for 13 years and though I had a dry throat (known side efect) for the first few week, have never experience any furthur problems and my B/Pis is now well controlled.

desidiabulum

Thank you people (so many of my favourite posters on one thread!). Ok -- I saw the cardio surgeon this afternoon and he is insistent that I start on them ('If I had my way all diabetics would be on ramipril' he growled -- nice man!). It will be a gradual build-up over a month, with a kidney test in the middle. So next questions for you: did you have a gradual prescription (a la metformin), what tests did you have (potassium levels, presumably?), and was there ever any discussion of whether you would ever come off the pills?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Thank you people (so many of my favourite posters on one thread!). Ok -- I saw the cardio surgeon this afternoon and he is insistent that I start on them ('If I had my way all diabetics would be on ramipril' he growled -- nice man!). It will be a gradual build-up over a month, with a kidney test in the middle. So next questions for you: did you have a gradual prescription (a la metformin), what tests did you have (potassium levels, presumably?), and was there ever any discussion of whether you would ever come off the pills?

Hi again Desi :)

I was moved up gradually from 2.5 mg as an initial dose onto 5 mg 2 weeks later and then 10 mg 2 weeks later after that for hypertension(with BP checks in between so they could ascertain the correct dose required)....after diagnosis of DM it was discovered I had renal issues as well and was told I was on the maximum dose of Ramipril which was a good drug to be on and that I should take them for life for the kidney protection aspect.

Best

Paul

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I take 7.5mg of Lisinopril with no problems so far. Only issue is my travel ins goes up a fair bit because of it !

luceeloo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
I had a nasty allergic reaction to Lisinopril. It sent my BP soaring and heart rate to about 125 at rest. Other than that I felt clammy, sweaty, drained, and generally like I was about to keel over. What I will say is that if you have a bad reaction, you'll know about it right away.
I've eventually been put on a beta blocker, and it's wonderful.

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
Hi again :). Following a heart attack and subsequent surgical intervention I was started on 5mg Ramipril which was increased to 10mg two weeks later. Still on the same dose... will be 14yrs next month. How time flies when you're having fun (or not) ! :)

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
Hi there,
I have losarten 100mg per day. I have found it,OK with no problems. Originally I was on ramipril which caused much angst with a dry cough that would not stop. GP replaced,it,with Losarten.

Hobs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
Argumenative barstifferous (new word *lol*) types who think that they know everything *wink*
I had problems with the ACE inhibitor perscribed in that it gave me a non productive cough. I was changed over to a Type 2 ACE (Candesartan) and the cough went two days later.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
My GP is happy for me to come off my very low dose of Lisinopril if my BP looks okay, but last time I tried (BP with Lisinopril 128/73), without it my BP reached 140/100, so I'm back on it again. It seems even 2.5mg makes a real difference.

I still need to lose about 28kg. I hope I'll be able to come off it for good then.

Viv :cool:

Unbeliever

Re the renal protection supposedly given by ramipril- I seem to remember that the most recent study cast doubt on this. Haven't a clue where i saw it though. Maybe someone else knows?

Last edited by a moderator:

desidiabulum

Re the renal protection spposedly given by ramipril- I seem to remember that the most recent study cast doubt on this. Haven't a clue where i saw it though. Maybe someone else knows?

Thanks Kath. I'm bumping this to see whether any of our other forum experts have seen the study -- it sounds important. The renal protection is of course one of the basic positives that is always flagged (and also to reassure about the fact that ramipril and others initially cause renal damage by raising blood potassium levels).