Any problems with T2 and local anesthesia?

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I had surgery for skin cancer in November (pre-diagnosis). I have to have surgery again (same spot, same thing) in a couple weeks. I have a couple questions.

1. Do I need to inform the surgical nurse/doctor that I have been diagnosed or will my GP pass on the info?

2. Could my surgery be postponed because of the diagnosis?

3. I am only having a local (had 8 needles in my face last time - NOT FUN!). Is there any problem with local anesthesia and T2?

Thank you!

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've had local anaesthetic at the dentist with no problems. I have no idea if it is the same stuff they would use on your face.

viviennem

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Football. Bad manners.
I've had both local and general anaesthesia with no problems. You'll need to tell them about your medication in any case - I had to miss my morning Metformin in both cases. Don't know about the gliclizade. Just make sure they KNOW that you are Type 2 and not insulin-dependent. I've met a few nurses who think that all diabetes is insulin-dependent. Not their fault, it's the way they are trained.

With a local you won't have any problems - you'll be awake so aware of how you're feeling. Take your test kit in with you, or ask them to test you afterwards, if it makes you feel more confident. I waited about an hour after my local op. (in my back) and then drove the 30 miles home.

Just for info - After a general you shouldn't drive, and you should make sure you have someone in the house the first night, if you live alone. Just in case! But that applies to everyone after a general, not just diabetics.

Viv

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Thank you both, I appreciate the info. I will make sure they know everything ahead of time.

Yes, it is not a good idea for me to drive, mainly because I've never done so before. LOL! Thank you for the heads-up anyway. :) My husband will pick me up. :)

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i was only cancelled because i was undiagnosed type 2 at 18.1 suger was told soon as its controled they knock me out no problem ahah good luck fallgal xx

Fallgal

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Cath - was your op general anesthesia or local anesthesia?

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
it was general ... but i was undiagnosed so was all over place . my goal this yr to get sugers stable and hba down then get my op

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Always inform HCPs about your diabetes whenever you're having treatment of that type; don't assume the knowledge will be passed on. I've had a general with diabetes and so they tested my blood sugar before the op and increased my sugar a bit via drip for 30 minutes. I had no problems during or after the op.