I just cant get my bs down...help!!

smitha

Hi All
Over the past 4-5 weeks I just cant get my bs down below 8 (if Im lucky!) My average reading after a meal is 11!!! :oops: Im a relatively low carber (last hba1c 6.5).
I started 1x 500mgGlucophage approx 3 weeks ago, so I dare to think what my bs would be without this!!
Any ideas as to why the high bs? Sorry if Im asking for the impossible to be answered!
Regards
smitha

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
You're not asking the impossible ,Smitha.Tell us what sort of things you are eating at mealtimes.

smitha

Thanks Sue
Ok. tonight I had spag bol (mince with Dolmio light), green pepper, mushroom and feta cheese salad(no pasta). Followed by a cup of tea and a morrisons eclair - (5.? carbs each)
Other examples:
Dinner :Steak, with feta cheese salad and peppercorn sauce
Lunch: Bacon, omlette, chicken, or cheese sandwich with 2x50/50 bread
Breakfast: 2x 50/50 bread with butter and soft cream cheese spread

Snacks - Morissons frozen eclairs (only 5.? carbs each, cheese sticks, cube of chocolate).
I do have treats, and adopt the 80/20 rule.
Should I ask my nurse if I should increase my glucophage to 2x500mg do u think?

Thanku
smitha

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
I think you should certainly discuss any medication change with your nurse.When you say spag bol.is there actually spaghetti in it.This would certainly put up your blood sugar.

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Smitha
Let's see if you are hiding any carbs. I hope you aren't offended

Ok. tonight I had spag bol (mince with Dolmio light)I don't know what's in this, but "lite" often means low fat and high sugar.you need to read the panel, green pepper, mushroom and feta cheese saladWhat is in the dressing?(no pasta). Followed by a cup of tea and a morrisons eclair - (5.? carbs each)
Other examples:
Dinner :Steak, with feta cheese salad and peppercorn sauceWhat's in this sauce?
Lunch: Bacon, omlette, chicken, or cheese sandwich with 2x50/50 breadMost breads are about 50% carb
Breakfast: 2x 50/50 breadAbout 50%%carb with butter and soft cream cheese spread

Snacks - Morissons frozen eclairs (only 5.? carbsHow many? each, cheese sticks, cube of chocolate).
I do have treats, and adopt the 80/20 rule.
Should I ask my nurse if I should increase my glucophage to 2x500mg do u think?
There migght be quite a lot of carb ceaping in there. However, if you think increasing the glucophage is the way to go, ask the nurse? It's a safe medicine and 1 x 500mg is z VERY small dose.