Do you get a numb mouth after a hypo?

notafanofsugar

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
everything good for me! getting better though x
Has anyone ever experienced numbness in the mouth and tongue after low blood sugar?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
When I've dropped low I get that too-especially the lips.

Reactions: 2 people

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I got that more when I was on the old 'animal' insulins - hypos were much stronger with that stuff :hungover:

Reactions: 3 people

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I used to get a numbness in the mouth too when I was on Novorapid and Lantus. When i changed to Levemir and Humalog, so too did my hypo symptoms. The numbness is my mouth stopped. My hypos felt alot more severe. Then I changed Levemir to Tressiba and my hypos were alot less severe and lasted for a shorter period.
Now on a Omnipod with Humalog only and my hypos are not severe at all. I can be 2.6 and feel just a little shaky and when I treat the hypo, my blood sugars go up within minutes.
Hypo symptoms are definately different with different insulins.

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
I have had this during night hypos along with dreadful metallic taste. So strong it wakes me up.

mchphoto

Yes, but it lasted a day, just thought my diabities were giving me odd side effects, was on and off over a week. I did not think it serious enough to get to the Doctor, but blood sugars were OK. However now after reading this thread I will check my blood sugars a bit more if it happens again and get it checked out at the doctors as it affected my mouth and tongue mmmm?

Reactions: 2 people