Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
are these guilt free or to be limited

B

badcat

I can heartily reccommend Rachel's set organic Greek natural yogurt with some raspberries and toasted almonds

Reactions: 2 people

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I get natural yoghurt with the lowest sugar and then add fruit which I but frozen from lidl, bags of frozen blueberries mostly. Once thawed I mash a few lightly and then mix my own. You can control the sugar content better that way. In fact, you get a fruitier and better yoghurt and cheaper too. Strawberries, half thawed out, some natural yoghurt and some alpro 'milk' make for a great low cal low carb ice cold shake if you don't mind washing a blender afterwards.

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
are these guilt free or to be limited

Taken from another thread

Yes apologies for confusing the OP with Dr Barnard. If a low fat high carb vegan diet works for you then great. However I'm suspicious of any diet that claims you don't need to worry about calories and portion sizes which is what it says on the page the link takes you to.
Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Any diet, LCHF included, none of them are a free pass.

Just had pork chop. Roast peppers fried egg salutes mushroom in butter and cream pepper sauce for my dinner feels so good yet so wrong
I don't particularly low carb, and I do low fat, so bear in mind I'm biased here as well.
Others may disagree, but there were a lot of spare calories in the dinner you posted.
You don't need to add fat to everything, the pork chop probably has a fair enough amount on it's own.

turvell

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
been type 2 and the fact i get no sodding help from the NHS at all
oh yeah i guess so. i dont really get this low carb diet really. but i dont loose weight whatever diet i do

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Douglas...I lost just as much weight as you (or more) eating LCHF in less than a year-difference is-I ate probably twice as many calories as the 800-1200 calories a day you did and always felt full and didn't have to go the the gym-a bit of walking with the dog was plenty enough in my case so I'm biased too.

Reactions: 3 people

xyzzy

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Undeserving authority figures of all kinds and idiots.
The fage yoghurt Paul mentioned is the lowest carb and lowest fat one I've discovered.

As Douglas says nothing is guilt free if you eat too much of it be it low carb or low fat. About the only guilt free food I know is celery as it takes more energy to digest it than it gives you (so I've been told). Celery and some cheese or phili is a great snack.

The meal of yours Douglas quoted in his post sounds fine to me and is the kind of thing I would eat. You just need to make sure you're not eating too much of it.

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Douglas...I lost just as much weight as you (or more) eating LCHF in less than a year-difference is-I ate probably twice as many calories as the 800-1200 calories a day you did and always felt full and didn't have to go the the gym-a bit of walking with the dog was plenty enough in my case so I'm biased too.

It'll be interesting to get a few more comments on the amount of added fat that others put into their meals, even on high fat diets, particularly how much butter, oil, and cream is added to each meal as a matter of routine.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
i add fat wherever possible so i dont get hungry and snack too much, fage natural full fat yogurt is best (biased view)

Reactions: 3 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
oh yeah i guess so. i dont really get this low carb diet really. but i dont loose weight whatever diet i do

Best way is to ask regular low carbers to post up a typical days meal. A lot of the regulars will, or have a search though some of the recipes. LCHF suggests you need to add fat to all the cooking, but it's actually comparative, because a normal western diet tends to have a majority of carbs, and less fat, when you decrease the carbs, it's replaced with fat, but usually still around the normal calorie intake for the day. Fat has about twice the calories carbs have g for g.
Not that I'm saying you need to count, just that you don't need to load everything with fat.
Indeed, one of the claims is fat makes you feel full quicker, so you actually eat less anyway.
Also the type of fat you choose can vary, some like saturated fat, and eat cream and red meat. Others go for un saturated, cook in olive oil, eat fish etc.
You'll find a diet that suits you, but it's going to be a lifestyle change, so find one that you can work with.

annew

Agree that Total Greek yoghurt is great, but NOT the fat free version - there are both full fat and 0% versions. You need to read the labels! I usually reckon that 100-125 gm serving is about right - and as others have said add some berries, or seeds or nuts - I rather like some walnut pieces in my yoghurt like the contrast of the crunchy walnut and the smooth yoghurt. If you haven't got kitchen scales buy the small pots the you won't be tempted
I saw somebody buy a coconut yoghurt in my local health food shop last week - it was quite a small pot and was about £3.50!!!!!! I thought "not for me" at this price and didn't investigate any further.