Fallen off the wagon

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Don't remind me. I've got to go for blood tests next week for diabetes and to check my thyroid glad readings. I've been putting it off due to excess gorging over xmas and new year. Got loads left but have been good last week or so. :(

hails

Well I fell off a cliff let alone a wagon over the festive period and to make it so unfair my HBA1C test was today so my average over the past 30 days is going to very unrealistic of the past 6 months! :(

Picci

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Looks like we are all very prone to fall off the wagon! I doubt our HBA1c wil be affected so much by a short 'uncontrolable' period...we have to let go some times, it's just hard getting back into the swing of things again. Things snowball with me too if I have a little 'binge' (often due to a hypo) I just can't stop at trying to fix my hypo with, let's say 20 carbs, I continue, raiding the biscuit tin! I'm off the alcohol too, I really over did it and I am now feeling completely detoxed and healthy again.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
jannie said:
I am so glad that I clicked on this forum today it has made me feel so much better! I too have been unable to resist temptation and was supposed to have blood tests last week but have been putting it off because I am scared of what my Doctor will say about the results!! Having now realised that I am not the only one who throws caution to the wind I am more confident to go for the blood tests and have peice of mind that he might be expecting an increase in my BG. At least I can defend myself now by telling him about this forum. I really feel like there has been a weight lifted off my shoulders thank you so much!

Jannie

Hi Jannie,welcome to the forum,nearly missed you there hiding in the thread!!Yes I think most of us pushed the boat out over the festive season.I am not going to phone up to get my tests done till end of january if I can get away with it to give the blood time to settle a bit,course a virus doesn't help so Hba1c could be not as low as I would like anyway!!
Have a good read round the forum and ask us questions,there's always someone with an answer.

bunty

Thank goodness i chose to look here today!

I've had a real struggle for a while, now, not so much on eating all the wrong things but a combination of factors.

There is 'something' wrong with my foot...i'm in pain most of the time with it and gave up the boxercise and running that i was loving. That seemed to trigger an end to all exercise and added to that, i found some low-carb but high fat foods that were safe for me to eat (i have life-threatening severe food allergies) and i was so thrilled i binged on them! My diet is so restricted anyway that sometimes when i discover something i can scoff, i scoff it as though on a mission!

Over Christmas i ate heaps but actually, still way less than pre-diabetic times. Way, way, less.

And now i am 6 pounds over my last good weight and have chosen to delay my HbA1c for the same reasons as others here, lol! I'm going to get it done at the end of the month and i am back to being sensible again, finally. There was a party this Saturday just gone and a chinese with friends on Sunday but this week marks the START OF THE NEW REGIME!

Also, my boyfriend gave me a Wii for Christmas and i love the Wii Sports on it and i got the Wii Fit board to match and i have started exercising on that. So, i really do intend to lose what i gained and will report back here with progress - fingers crossed there will be progress!

I was feeling a right failure and that compounded my lack of motivation but since reading this thread i realise i am normal and wont persist in that negative mood.

Thank you!

bunty

Trinkwasser

One good thing, if your results are (temporarily) high then the improvement between now and your next results will be more impressive.

That might just prompt your doctor to ask how you made such a huge improvement so quickly

bunty

Hi, Trink,

well, my GP is concerned that my control was too tight and that i needed to ease up a little. My 3 HbA1cs so far have been 5.6 5.4 and 5.4 but my cholesterol was up a bit at the last check.

She felt that was caused by the many lows i had been experiencing, so after much debate i agreed to reduce my Met a bit for a 3 month trial.

I've stretched that 3 months to 4, to allow for some improvement since my Christmas wagon-abandonment!

My GP has promised me a full blood check including the HbA1c every 3 months, so that she and i can see what is occurring with me. Since the reduction in meds, i've had only a tiny few number of lows. I dont want to take statins and in fact, she said that seeing as there is no history of heart disease or kidney problems in my family and i present no other symptoms, she isnt keen on giving me any. She felt that the raised cholesterol alone was something to monitor, not react to straight away.

I must admit to feeling an almost palpable urge to eat all the wrong food, lately. Maybe it's just a residual effect from the excesses at Christmas?

Hey ho, i shant cave in. I'll keep to the right path and try hard not to allow my gaze to wander across to the aisles in the supermarket that are crammed with everything yummy and wicked!

bunty

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
As you walk down the supermarket aisles,Bunty ,very quietly( you don't want people thinking you are cuckoo)say to yourself,while you look at all this stuff, 'carbs,carbs carbs' it soon decreases your yearning for it!!After a while it just doesn't bother you again.
It also helps to find something low in carbs that you will enjoy eating. I rediscovered Brussels pate and now enjoy that for a snack.

bunty

It's a good strategy, Sue and one i'll employ. I'm usually not too bad at curbing carbs, lol, as you can see from my previous HbA1cs but now and then when i check bg levels, i'm taken aback.

Last week, for instance, i made cauliflower and stilton soup. Just one onion lightly sauteed in olive oil...a very little oil...and cauliflower, three very small potatoes and pure chicken stock. I then added the crumbled stilton and there wasnt a great deal of that, and a couple of fluid ounces of milk.

That was all i ate, yet later before bedtime i was staggered to see i was 6.4! I was completely fed up and went to bed minus a snack.

The following evening i had the same meal and didnt even bother to check bg later, just went to bed feeling a bit hungry. I woke from one of my 'low nightmares', soaked in sweat and shakey. I hurried downstairs and scoffed a wholemeal bread and pure fruit spread sandwich before returning to bed, cross as heck.

I cant win!

But so far today i have resisted the vast quantities of free grub that these offices boasts. In fact, i resist every single day i am here - most days i dont notice the platters of cakes, tins of sweeties, bowls of fruit, packets of nuts or biscuits...i dont see sign of my halo yet but it's surely coming!

bunty

IanD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Carbohydrates
Bunty - enjoy the nuts, & eat the fruit in moderation.

bunty

Hi Ian, thank you for the words of support - the nuts are low carb and high in protein admittedly but sadly for me, are also lethal, lol!
But i have lost 2 pounds in 10 days so my efforts are beginning to pay off.

Keep the faith!

bunty

Trinkwasser

bunty said:
My GP has promised me a full blood check including the HbA1c every 3 months, so that she and i can see what is occurring with me. Since the reduction in meds, i've had only a tiny few number of lows. I dont want to take statins and in fact, she said that seeing as there is no history of heart disease or kidney problems in my family and i present no other symptoms, she isnt keen on giving me any. She felt that the raised cholesterol alone was something to monitor, not react to straight away.

That's eminently sensible.

well, my GP is concerned that my control was too tight and that i needed to ease up a little. My 3 HbA1cs so far have been 5.6 5.4 and 5.4

That's not. But then you already knew that!

Keep on keeping on, normal numbers are not something you particularly want to avoid <G>

I haven't been having any particular food cravings but probably because it's been such a cold and especially dark winter I'm fighting extra strong urges to hibernate. See if the lengthening days don't make you feel better too.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
got shot of those extra pounds by eating strawberries and cream :) *yay* now back to where I was before Xmas binge-o-rama! J/x

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Ditto Jem, have just lost all the Christmas weight gain and a coupla pounds. Had an A1c result (5.7%) and dietitian's appointment (officially :?: lost 11.3kg since October) in the first week of the year, excellent news. Dietitian had plenty of nice things to say to the Dragon as well, which was very nice to hear.

Got to concentrate on getting my lipids right tho' :( HDL still low and trigs still high, but LDL just right. Still, set myself a target for the holiday in May, let's see if I can get into those Speedos :twisted:

Self satisfied pats on the back all round I think :lol:

Regards, Tubs.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Nice work tubs, VERY nice work - just seen that you at the halfway mark!!! WOOHOOO!!!!!! xxx

Trinkwasser

tubolard said:
Ditto Jem, have just lost all the Christmas weight gain and a coupla pounds. Had an A1c result (5.7%) and dietitian's appointment (officially :?: lost 11.3kg since October) in the first week of the year, excellent news. Dietitian had plenty of nice things to say to the Dragon as well, which was very nice to hear.

Got to concentrate on getting my lipids right tho' :( HDL still low and trigs still high, but LDL just right. Still, set myself a target for the holiday in May, let's see if I can get into those Speedos :twisted:

Self satisfied pats on the back all round I think :lol:

Regards, Tubs.

Excellent going! Less carbs and more fat will probably fix those lipids, paradoxically enough.

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Just finished all the xmas goodies..... Just got some macanuts i bought in the week. Got some good enws when I went to see the asthma nurse. Lost 7lbs in couple of months and 2ins round waist!! Now I have to be even more careful that my work skirts don't fall round my ankles!! :oops:

Trinkwasser

gillyh said:
Just finished all the xmas goodies..... Just got some macanuts i bought in the week. Got some good enws when I went to see the asthma nurse. Lost 7lbs in couple of months and 2ins round waist!! Now I have to be even more careful that my work skirts don't fall round my ankles!! :oops:

Ah you've guessed, low carb diets are a plot by clothing manufacturers to get more business, you realise they charge the same price for smaller clothes made of less material which are therefore more profitable?

gillyh

Dislikes
Too true trinkwasser.... maybe I should just buy some wide elastic and start sewing it on my skirts?! :?: :idea: