januvia/sitaglpin

mortigger1968

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi is anyone on januvia/sitaglpin mybdiabetic nurse wants me on it but heard bad things like pancreatic cancer etc,just want some reassurance its ok.

bernie.freeman

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
selfish people
Hi,
I have been taking Januvia for over 6 months now, I have not experienced any side effects. It has lowered my BS quite well. My GP only gave me 50mg per day, the standard dose is 100mg.. I don't know of anyone who has experienced problems with their pancreas, although I am sure that you will receive more replies soon.

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just been started on it too, and I've found if I eat later at night (within about 3 hours of bedtime) I've getting terrible reflux waking me up about 2 hours after I've gone to sleep. Is it just a coincidence or are the 2 linked?

Reactions: Claudia 1961
B

badcat

My consultant suggested putting me on it after 15+ years on gliclazide had seen the glic having less effect
I read the same stuff about pancreatic cancer etc and decided to experiment with radical dietary changes first as a possible alternative so switched to v low carb (under 50g a day ) instead - that bought my sugars right down and 2 years on I'm still on just glic but at a lower dose and my hba1c has dropped from 67 to 41

Reactions: Moggy1968

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I was on Januvia for a few years before insulin. I never had any problems. There are one of two serious side effects but I believe they are very rare. Like the other poster, I had Januvia added when the full-dose Gliclazide stopped working. The Januvia helped for a couple of years then insulin needed, so I would go for it.

Unbeliever

I have been on Januvia for a few years now with no side effects . When I firs took it I suffered from a slight headache and drowsiness for the first few weeks. It was very effective in stopping the spikes I used to suffer [possibly liver dumpimng} because i am unable to eat a large enough evening meal. It appears to lower my fasting bgs when I take it in the evening. too.
I would prefer not to have to take it at all ,of course,, but as I suffer from drug induced complications with my vision from rosiglitazone} I am reluctant to risk the spikes returning and doing further damage.
I am not aware of any recent studies but the pancreatic cancer fear seemed to have been based on the fact that it is always a possibility when no long term studies are available.

Joyola

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was diagnosed T2 in July 2011, and was put on Metformin 3 times a day, it made me feel really ill. It was swapped for Januvia, and I haven't looked back.
I eat about 75 gm of carbs a day, and my readings are low and stable on that dosage.
I don't eat any grains except oats., so no bread, pasta or rice, cakes or biscuits, even supposedly wheat free ones have adverse effects, with bloating and water retention, and I very rarely eat potatoes.

Claudia 1961

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've just been started on it too, and I've found if I eat later at night (within about 3 hours of bedtime) I've getting terrible reflux waking me up about 2 hours after I've gone to sleep. Is it just a coincidence or are the 2 linked?

Oh wow. I have this too! I top up with food to stop night time hunger and get this! Ah so it might be the Januvia!!