Hummous, is it okay for type 2?

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
judgemental people, billy liars,
Sorry if this has been asked many times before.

Patch

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Hummous doesn't contain a huge amount of carbs - but it is quite high in fat. But that's not a bad thing. It depends on how you normally eat.

If you eat Hummous with pitta bread, that can raise BG significantly - but if you eat it with slices of Pepper, or a few carrot sticks (mybe not too many carrot stick, tough!) you should be fine.

Reactions: 2 people

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Fantastic news, something else I like that can be eaten with raw veg and enjoyed.

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
OOOOH how about cous cous, or is that starting to creep into the carbs that sugar and spike?

Thanks for the replies guys that was good news.

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Couscous is ok in small quantities I think, about 20g carbs per 100g. doesn't spike me too badly, but be careful if you are buying the flavoured ones, they can be very high carb - check the labels.

You might be able to tolerate buckwheat also, great in taboulah, abot 18g carbs per 100g

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thank you Thommo,I am going to try and avoid that right now then I have found all the flour products spike me for a long time so I am going to stay clean for a while.

cheers

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Couscous is usually OK for type 2s, it depends on the individual, but it is just coarsely ground durum wheat, coarse semolina. It takes much longer to digest than foods which use very finely milled white flour.

Something else you might like to try is quinoa.

SandieB

OOOOH how about cous cous, or is that starting to creep into the carbs that sugar and spike?

Thanks for the replies guys that was good news.
I've started using quinoa in place of cous couse and similar grains. It is quite high in carbs but it doesn't affect my blood sugar at all.

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
I forgot about quinoa, I guess I'll get testing but so far any flour product makes me to about 12.7 for 3 hours! its worth a try though.

cheers guys

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I forgot about quinoa, I guess I'll get testing but so far any flour product makes me to about 12.7 for 3 hours! its worth a try though.

Quinoa is not actually a grain, although it looks like one, and even dehulled it contains a lot of dietary fibre. This is cellulose based or beta carbohydrate and is not digested by humans. The digestible carbs, or alpha carbs are many in quinoa and include Raffinose, Stachyose and alpha galactosides. These belong to the more complex saccharide groups known as oligosaccharides. Typically you find them in foods such as brussels sprouts, beans, lentils etc. They don't get broken down in the stomache by enzymes but by bacteria in the intestine. Consequently, these carbs are the type that are somewhat 'windy', but kinder to your blood sugars.

Last edited by a moderator:

hawnet

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Thanks Yorksman, This nutrition can really get complex considering all we do is eat it. I'm looking forward to trying that quinoa I like couscous, I'm not so interested in a rice replacement but another filler that can be made very tastie with herbs and spices etc

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I'm not so interested in a rice replacement but another filler that can be made very tastie with herbs and spices etc

I recently found some brown rice vermicelli in a chinese supermarket. Doesn't taste like rice at all. You simmer it for 2 or 3 mins and then drain. I chuck it into a hot wok with some toasted sesame oil and chilli oil. It makes a for a very tasty snack. Add some left over chicken and/or some sliced spring onion and chives and it's the start of an asian style meal. The toasted sesame oil gives it that lovely smokey wok flavour.

Totto

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I avoid all grain like the plague. OK, I do have the occasional small serving of tabboleh, and the occasional very thin slice of home-made sour-dough made from home-milled spelt flour, but generally, no grain, certainly no modern wheat. Thus no couscous nor bulghur as grain does terrible things to my bg levels.