HI AND WORRIED WOMAN!!

Nic51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
i had a fasting blood test done on monday and today the docs have tried to get hold of me so i guess that the news isnt good, i have a blood sugar monitor i purchased yesterday blood was 20.6 and this morning 15.9 i think i know these are high ones what will the docs say tomorrow when i get in touch i cant bear the thought that it maybe a hospital job, the last 2 days i have tried to eat a better diet than i normally do cutting out diet coke and alot of the bread i was eating is this a good start or not help please really dont want a sleepless night

Reactions: 2 people

Cath40

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi your not alone on here mine was the same i was diaganosied in june last year so im fairly new aswell i was put on meds and had to completly change my diet it will take a while for things to settle down and get used to things its a big change but can be done i have learned so much from off the forums on here they really do help as people are in the same boat as u .Dont be disheartened you will improve i am now off meds all together and control mine by diet and exercise i was 13 stone 8 when i started im now 10 stone 7 so it can be done if you really put ur mind to it and accept its a total life style change i dnt look at it as a diet anymore and look at is as a way of life .I dont know ow long i can stay off the meds bt i will try my best asits better for me .It is a shock at first but u will deal with it well if i can anyone can as i wernt the best person to try and change my diet .Try and read some of the post on here as they really do help and ask any questions

suewho

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
spiders,
Hi Nic, can't comment on numbers but whatever the outcome, there are lots of people to help you. If there's one think worse than being diagnosed with Diabetes.. that's not being diagnosed. Take it seriously, one step at a time but don't panic. Good luck!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Numbers are on the high side but see what your doc says. I doubt it will be a hospital admission. You've made a good start cutting out the bread and if you are diagnosed you'll get more help. It's a shock for anyone at first but we all cope and, if diagnosed, I'm sure you will. Please let us know how you get on.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, whatever your told try not to freak out, things always look worse at diagnosis, take a breath and come back here, we can help you understand things, best of luck

Reactions: 3 people

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
As Andy says, we are here to help. By the way, did you have a particular reason for dropping the diet coke?

Regards

Doug

Richard0804

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
I don't suffer fools gladly. I cant stand people who constantly go on about their illness or problems. Hey You're ill or have a problem. GET ON WITH IT. Don't bother me.
i had a fasting blood test done on monday and today the docs have tried to get hold of me so i guess that the news isnt good, i have a blood sugar monitor i purchased yesterday blood was 20.6 and this morning 15.9 i think i know these are high ones what will the docs say tomorrow when i get in touch i cant bear the thought that it maybe a hospital job, the last 2 days i have tried to eat a better diet than i normally do cutting out diet coke and alot of the bread i was eating is this a good start or not help please really dont want a sleepless night

Hey!! You've Got Problems?????

I've had TWO HEART ATTACKS, I have FOUR STENTS, one of which I have had to have reopened. I have Angina suffer from ANKILOSING SPONDULITIS ARTHRITIS in my whole body ( like rock in a kettle on my bones and joints). I have OSTEOARTHRITIS in my back. I also have ARTHRITIS in my feet, now I am beginning to get it in my hands) I have HIGH BLOOD PRESSURE, i am DIABETIC TYPE TWO, (Tablets and Injection) I have lost the feeling in my toes on both feet. I am ANAEMIC, I suffer from SLEEP APNOEA,( I wear a MASK at night to keep me BREATHING).

I take FORTY TWO TABLETS PER DAY and an INJECTION at night. I have a blood test fortnightly, I see my Rheumatic Consultant every three months, my Diabetic Consultant every six months, the Diabetic Nurse every two months and my GP at least two to three times a month.

But What the Hell.

I wont let the bas****s beat me!!!!!!!

My Friend to you the end of life is upon you or SO YOU THINK.... There is ALWAYS someone WORSE off than you. Believe me I have found that out many times when I've gone to hospital for check ups etc

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.
Nic5 - Glad you are quitting the bread. I am doing the same currently. Regarding the Diet Coke, this stuff is no good for anyone because of the artificial sweetening chemicals, and the fact that it's carbonated. Carbonation is not a good thing, it interferes with digestion. Good luck with your healthier lifestyle!. :happy:

nanalinda

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi all, this is my first time on the forum although I have read them before. I was given a type 2 result back in 2011 since then I have change my diet and dropped 4/5 dress sizes in this time. I have a great support line in my husband and we both check what we buy and what we eat as a matter of course, it can be done and has become our life style. I purchased my own bg meter and check my levels ever Friday morning just for my own piece of mind fingers crossed I seem to be able to keep to a level of 6.4-6.8.
Nanalinda

Nic51

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
well today is another day, docs call was just to have bloods re done at the mo, so keeping my appointment with doc for Friday just to ask some questions, as they dont seem to be able to get me in for a early blood appointment till feb! but im going to use that in my favour and do more of what ive started, I do suffer with IBS so maybe it will be helped by diet change, dropped the coke at mo as i was drinking alot of it, i do intend having EVERYTHING but in moderation, im sweet toothed and a carb lover, sooooooooooooo im hopeing that i can have those as small treats once a day etc. exercise is a bit of a issue as i have a very active job im a carer and work 12 hr shifts 4 times a week, where we dont really sit down alot so on days off i tend to like to lounge a bit, so any input there would be good also i eat at work, as on minimum wage so intend to still eat there to, also live on a narrowboat so have no freezer and a tiny fridge etc. thank you all so much for your input etc and i will be surfing this site alot i think.

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
well today is another day, docs call was just to have bloods re done at the mo, so keeping my appointment with doc for Friday just to ask some questions, as they dont seem to be able to get me in for a early blood appointment till feb! but im going to use that in my favour and do more of what ive started, I do suffer with IBS so maybe it will be helped by diet change, dropped the coke at mo as i was drinking alot of it, i do intend having EVERYTHING but in moderation, im sweet toothed and a carb lover, sooooooooooooo im hopeing that i can have those as small treats once a day etc. exercise is a bit of a issue as i have a very active job im a carer and work 12 hr shifts 4 times a week, where we dont really sit down alot so on days off i tend to like to lounge a bit, so any input there would be good also i eat at work, as on minimum wage so intend to still eat there to, also live on a narrowboat so have no freezer and a tiny fridge etc. thank you all so much for your input etc and i will be surfing this site alot i think.

hi

theres a link to the forums advice on questions to ask at the clinic, may be worth a read

http://www.diabetes.co.uk/forum/threads/questions-to-ask-at-a-diabetes-clinic.17091/

i think i had IBS before diagnosis, i basically was either constipated or the opposite all the time, it was a pain (excuse the pun) because i am on the road a lot and when i need to go i really needed to go, this was never diagnosed by anyone as i had and still have a phobia towards doctors but once i had changed my diet it has completely cured itself and everything regarding that has gone away so hopefully yours will, unfortunately carbs aren't great but there are varying degrees of bad carbs, try to eat more complex carbs your body will turn them into glucose slower which is much better, if you feel the need for bread try to stick to wholegrain bread Burgen soya and linseed bread is a good choice sold in most supermarkets, there is a low carb bread sold in waitrose and some morrisons called livlife, if your eating potatoes try to eat new potatoes and avoid mashed potatoes at all cost, pasta and rice are better if they are brown, avoiding these food altogether is best but not easy, also try to cut down on your fruit if you eat a lot of it, berries are best for us, the most important thing to do is get a blood glucose meter either from the doctor or if they won't give you one, the chemist sell them on on the net, with a meter you will be able to tests your bloods before and after eating and therefore be able to tell what you can or can't tolerate from a what pushes up your sugar point of view, but I'm jumping the gun, on the exercise front, once you get into it you should find you have more energy not less, its great you spend a lot of time moving about at work and i understand as i do the same but i found structured exercise is much better from an energy point of view, i never exercised at all apart from work and was always tired, now i exercise i feel much more energetic and I'm actually doing stuff around the house which i never did before (which pleases the wife) this isn't to say you shouldn't rest, rest is very important too, a narrowboat? so cool

best of luck

Reactions: 3 people

FatGenes999

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Smug health care professionals; pretense, pomposity and presumptuousness; people who have a disregard for other people's health and safety; being "fenced-in"; arbitrary authority; nonsensical rules; political correctness; stupidity that masquerades as profundity.

From what I've read, people who have IBS/IBD are at risk for diabetes, and vice-versa. The inflammation that causes one issue can also cause other problems. I have IBD which I've usually held at bay using naturopathic remedies. I did a lot of "bad" stuff over the holidays and ended up with border-line T2 diabetes. Interestingly, what exacerbates the IBD also usually exacerbates the diabetes, with a few exceptions. When weight is an issue as it is in my case, full-fat cheese would be not helpful to my IBD, nor my weight, but, it would be good for the "low-carb" diabetes diet. . So its complicated.

Glad you are stopping the diet-Coke. I have to stay away from all "fizzie-drinks' expect for the odd apple-juice with seltzer, because it sets off the IBD symptoms. I also love the occasional Kombucha drink which has natural carbonation and is very healthy for people with my health concerns.

Anything that interferes with proper digestion will also cause glucose problems, is what I've figured out. Makes sense.
Regarding the physically active job and minimal access to certain foods, I would at the very least stay well-hydrated if I were in your situation. Also, carry non-perishable snacks like nuts and dried fruit on you. Cheers and hope it goes well for you.

Last edited by a moderator: