help

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
can someone please help me as im at my wits end I have changed drs and as a routine had to have my bloods done. I have been on and off steroids since end of oct but haven't had any for three weeks and my sugars was 25.7 at the highest coz of all the meds and my finger rick result was high on their meter so had to have a arm vein one done and I get the results on Friday. I have been so good with my diet recently so cant understand why my sugars are still high can someone please help me understand why please x

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Steroids are a big problem as a cause of diabetes. If there is any way to reduce their use do discuss with the GP. There may be other reasons why your blood sugar is still high apart from the steroids and good diet. What diabetes meds are you on, how old are you and is your BMI in the good range?

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
hi thans for the reply im not on any medication as yet and im 39 40 this year and my bmi is 29 I weigh 11.10 and im 5ft4 got a call from out of hours dr about my glucose results which was 38 finger prick last night it hd come down to 24.7 had another one this morning and it was 27.2 god knows what going on but looks like I have to go on insulin as she said tablets wont work. dr is calling hospital for advice as all there diabetic nurses are either off or sick x

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
Hi

was it a fasting test? Are you measuring in the day?

when you say good with your diet, what do you have? What about drinks too?

Can you increase your exercise levels? That helps too.

Cara

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi

was it a fasting test? Are you measuring in the day?

when you say good with your diet, what do you have? What about drinks too?

Can you increase your exercise levels? That helps too.

Cara
no not a fasting test as im already type 2 diet controlled and haven't really been given much advice on things I should or shouldn't be eating I have cut down on my sugar and I drink really weak sugar free squash or water or white coffee. im limited with exercise at mo due to recovering from an asthma attack back in oct and lungs still weak I walk as much as I can

PhilT

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Diet only
If I was faced with high blood sugar I would not eat any sugar or starch based foods until it came down. That would include breakfast cereals, bread, pasta, rice, potato, chips, crisps, biscuits, cake, chocolate, sweets, fruit, milk etc etc. Look at the "carbohydrates" value on labels and aim low.

You need to say what you are eating in detail if you want people to give advice.

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
well I eat brown bread brown pasta and rice loads of veg and fruit I have half a pint of skimmed ilk a day and only have 30 grams of cereal a day I have cut back on my carbs and hasn't had any effect I have been told at my last review my diet was fine so that's why I have no idea why it has gone up

a typical day for me food wise would be Weetabix or porridge in the morning both with milk and fruit coffee with and a pint of sugar fee squash, lunch would be salad sandwich with ham fruit and yogurt and water, dinner could be meat veg and potatoes or pasta cottage depends what I have in I have cut my portions of cabs down and portion sizes so I have no where else to go unless I want to become a rabbit and eat lettuce all day

carraway

Type of diabetes
Prefer not to say
Treatment type
Other
I think you could brink your levels down quite a lot by cutting back the carbs even more
I would suggest avoiding bread, pasta, rice porridge and potatoes as much as you can.Even fruit can be quite carb heavy.
Carbs convert to sugar, brown ones do it too although more slowly.

There is a great book called Carbs and Cals. Which shows photos of real food, the carbs in some meals is astounding! I highly recommend it.

The NHS diet advice leaves a lot to be desired. If you read around the forum you will see that many of us have had great results by cutting the carb back.

Check the sugar free squash and see if there is any carbs in it. Some sugar free sweets are full of carbs, it's surprising where they hide.

I think you need to do a fasting test in the morning, before you eat and 2 hours after you eat and keep track. You will soon see what gives the best and worst results. Once you have a grip on things you can cut back on the testing as you will know what to avoid.

I had 2 slices of garlic bread this week and got the highest result I've had in ages. I dont touch potatoes any more, unless I steal a few chips! It's just not worth it.

I feel so much better with weight loss, exercise and less carbs.

Cara

Reactions: 2 people