Lloyds Chemist result - Advice please

cam

Hi All

i went to Lloyds chemist yesterday for a diabetic test as it runs in my family, and have been quiet tired recently and have had a dry mouth

i fasted for over 5 hours as i was instructed and my result came back as 4.7

The lady that did the test said i was fine and had nothing to worry about, i am abit of a worrier and was wondering do i need to go for furthur tests with the hospital. Or am i just being a worry wort for nothing

I have used my mums test kit before and i always comeback with the result between 4 - 5

any advice would be great

Rick

Let me be the first to allay your worries; if your readings are always coming back between four and five then you don't have diabetes, oh, if only my results were as consistent as that! :D

cam

One time i had my mum test me after a massive roast dinner at they cameback as 7.

A few hours later they dropped back down to 5

i always have them between 4-5 though when fasting, morning etc

Rick

Everyone's blood sugar rises after they eat, I once took the blood sugar of a friend after they had eaten a couple of chocolate bars and other sweets etc and it was about 14! But, like you say, they obviously drop back down a little while later and that is the difference between diabetics and non-diabetics. Cam, you are fine, eat and be happy; have a big sausage roll for me, they play havoc with my blood glucose and I have cut them from my diet entirely - I miss them so...:(

cam

Thanx Rick

I really dont know why im being over paranoid about it, i guess to much time reading on the net has scared me a little

Rick

Cam, before I finally bore everyone to tears on this; at least you're taking an active view towards your health and if it's a family thing then well done, too many people in this country sit on their butts and complain when it's far too late. Here's to your ongoing good health.

hails

I was diagnosed after going to lloyds (thank god cause I dont think I would have gone to the doctor...thinking I was a hyprochondric) and mine were 16. A normal persons levels vary between 4-7ish so I wouldnt worry in the slightest!

cam

Hi Hails

Sorry to hear that, but its good to know that Lloyds can detect this

i was just a little put off as i didnt get any info at all after my test,just a "Your fine"

cam

I just phoned my local GP as she assured me on the phone that my reading is fine, i was just expecting more info after test at the Chemist
Very bad service

I can rest assured now, such a worry wort

ash

The definitive tests are the HBa1C (done at the GP surgery) and glucose tolerance test (done at hospital). These are done if the other tests are returning high results.

The Glucose tolerance test returned pre (fasting) test of 6.7, 17.0 one hour post drinking the glucose solution, and around about 14.0 iirc at the end of the test (2 hours of sitting still). A non diabetic would have returned post result of below 7 apparently.

HBa1C 6.3 T2

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Cam,

As Ash said, these tests are only done if other tests are returning high results. All your results are low so there is absolutely no reason for further tests to be done.

I'm afraid you will just have to come to terms with the fact that you are not diabetic!

So stop worrying!!!

siddywest

Hi, I also was diagnosed via Lloyds Chemist and felt they were excellent. My result was 14.5 so they gave me a referral form to send me to my GP with advice to go within the next few days.

If you're still worried you can also buy a urine testing kit from most chemists but I really wouldn't be. I dream of getting blood sugar results below 10 so I really don't think you have anything to worry about.

Michelle.