Finger pricker

TuTusweet

OK so I'm a twerp. I've got an AccuChek Aviva kit. I thought the pricker blade automatically changed to a fresh one after each use. When it didn't I thought it was bust so moved it myself. Then I realised the same pricker can be used many many times. I suppose if it gets blunt it will just bounce off or leave a dent.
How often is it considered good practice to change the blade ? And does it matter ? I don't think the blade hangs around long enough for any blood to actually get on it before it withdraws. Or am I doing it wrong ??

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
The OFFICIAL advice is new lancet each time!
personally, I use the lancet for ~ 1 day, provided the environment is relatively "clean".

Reactions: 2 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Ideally change every time but many don't. I use mine for about a week ! Naughty but I've had no problems !

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I change mine about once a week, sometimes less often if I forget. We're supposed to change it every time according to official advice, but I know many diabetics don't. I don't think it's as bad as re-using needles when injecting which can cause problems.

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I too change mine when it hurts and never had any problems. The advice is yet another example of NHS wasting money or getting us to support manufacturers profits.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Md.rose

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I used to change the lancet each time, and being type 2 those not nice people from NICE stopped my test strips and lancets.

I have a Code Free meter, bought it when my old Doctor retired and I had to change to a new one that implemented the NICE guidelines for type 2 diabetics. I now get one test strip a week! as the test strips for the Code Free meter is low compared to the other meters on the market, I bought one.

At this time I use the lancets for one week, and press the lancet back into the plastic to protect from contamination, and have had no problems from doing this.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Mud Island Dweller

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
An awful lot.
l have been testing since start November and changed it about 2 or 3 x. Not any reason about blunt, although probably is, just a case of oh wonder if l should change it that thought has to occur to me quite a few times before l bother changing it.