the advantages of being diabetic.

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hiya its flojo here.
i decided ( as i was feeling a bit down about being diabetic) i would write down a list of all the good things about being a diabetic. so here it goes!:
1. people who are diabetic have a very healthy lifestyle in all sorts of areas, ( eating, fitness,skin health e.t.c)
2.at christmas,halloween and easter all diabetics think 'do i really want these sweets and choclate enough to give myself an extra injection?'
3. if we ever feel down we just have too think, 'there are much worse things that could have happend or we could have got.'
4.we are not much different from anyone else realy even though sometimes it feels like it!
if anyone could think of anything please post me back!
chloe. :D

Reactions: 2 people

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Hi Flojo,
Hope you had a good christmas, and a very happy healthy new year to you and your family.
I would also like to add to your list,
a)you have to become responsible for your items(ie bs kit ect) but if your like Andrew you can never remember where you put them!but then he's a boy lol)
b)sometimes you get out during school, because the hospital makes appointments during school hours.(this can be a good/bad thing)
c)theres never anything you can't do that your friends can, just that sometimes you have to plan better ahead.Which isn't a bad thing.
d)Andrew got a mobile at the age of 8yrs, when all his friends had to wait til they were 10yrs old, plus he got a lovely silver SOS tailisman, which his friends envy.
e)you find out who your real friends are, early in life.
And all of the things you said, you'll become a very healthy,beautiful adult.
Take care Flojo and a happy new year
Suzi x

Reactions: 2 people

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
Hi Chloe
One big advantage in your case is your intelligence and maturity.
You are definitely one of my favourite young peolple
Ask Mum to hunt through the threads for the 1917 Oppenheimer cookbook. there are some delicious goodies there that she can cook for you.
and please pm me with your picture

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
hi, flojo here,
thanks for your lovely posts! i have now added lots of things too my list as i am going too write one down so if i am ever sad or angrey i can look at the list and realise that everythings not actually that bad! thanks again!

FindingNemo

Hahaha Suzi, your post just reminded me of when I was at school. I used to wear an SOS necklas and medic alert bracelet. It was a strick all girls school, no makeup or Jewellry allowed. I used to love getting puled to one side by a prefect and telling them to basically sod off! (but in a much meeker and politer way)

Even hypos at school were ok. It mean't I got to sit with the school nurse for about 30 minutes and she would make me a sweet cup of tea and provide me with rich tea biscuits. (I only abused this once after being humiliated by a very strict PE teacher - I threw my racket on the court and announced a hypo :oops: )

I never found that it caused any issues with friends at all. They just took it on board and accepted it. Not overly curious either.

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
at christmas,halloween and easter all diabetics think 'do i really want these sweets and choclate enough to give myself an extra injection?'
Theres a good side effect from this, if you just have a little bit at a time, your chocs and Easter eggs last for longer and I think you enjoy them more. You've still got some left when everyone else has finished theirs)
One Easter when I was about your age, I got an illness which meant I couldn't eat very much fat It meant I had to eat my Easter eggs in tiny amounts. That year it took me more than 6 months to eat them but I never went back to wanting to eat them in one go, far better to make them last :D )

suzi

Dislikes
people who are rude and ignorant, and people who have no patience in queues.
Oh Pheonix, you did make me laugh,I hope Andrew doesn't get up to any mischief at school regarding hypo's if only the once, you naughty girl :lol: Bet it put your PE teacher in her place. I only mentioned friends because a few bullies caused Andrew some discomfort on a few occassions, kids can be cruel, mostly name calling (diabetic dork) springs to mind. Andrew's comeback was always "i'm a diabetic but you can't see it, whats your excuse, you'll always be ugly" Ouch!
On the plus side he has a friend called Ben who sits beside him and is his buddy, if Andrew can't do his test strip because he's too shaky, Ben does it, Ben can even tell if Andrew's hypo, the teacher can't. It's unfortunate that they'l only spend another year together, then they'l part company when they go to secondary school.
Take care
Suzi x

flojo1234

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
thank you everyone,chloe here. people in my class are pretty nice the only thing that they have said involving diabetes is to ask me questions and look suprised when i eat choclate! i have a buddy too. she called stephanie. she helps me alot. she cant put test strips in but fourtuanetley i have never felt bad enough to not be able to put my test strip in! thank you again!

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Chloe,
I think there are a number of positives about being diabetic.

1) You can take food into exams
2) Teaches you to be responsible (well supposedly...dont think myself or my cousin have benefitted in this way!)
3) Since I was diagnosed my mum in an attempt to wrap me in cotton wool has cooked for me and let me stay at hers! (can't beat mums cooking)
4) If you did decide to do money instead of chocolate for halloween then you will be loaded!!
5) Medical ID tags can be really pretty

I'm sure there are more substantial ones, but being new to this I'm not aware of them yet!!

Hope you're ok

Hayley

FindingNemo

Propertyoflife said:
1) You can take food into exams

When I was at school (a long time ago) I was on a strict diet and was supposed to eat at certain times. I remember the 1st time I had an exam that also coincided with my mid morning snack. Without thinking about it, I took in a packet of crisps!!! Big mistake! If you have to eat in exams, take someting soft and non cruncy in a non crackly packet!

Propertyoflife

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
FindingNemo said:
When I was at school (a long time ago) I was on a strict diet and was supposed to eat at certain times. I remember the 1st time I had an exam that also coincided with my mid morning snack. Without thinking about it, I took in a packet of crisps!!! Big mistake! If you have to eat in exams, take someting soft and non cruncy in a non crackly packet!

Very true!! :D

miss fed up

Dislikes
hockey, netball, running, CROSS COUNTRY!!! homework, bla bla bla
Another really good plus side to diabetes is being able to fake a hypo and not having to run in the cross country, only standing at a post whilst cheering red-faced angry people on as they pant on by. heehee....not that i've done that. :roll:

Katharine

I haven't tried this myself but I understand that you can get a pass at Disney to allow you to go to the head of the queue for the rides.

(From Spike and Bo Loy's book)

Anyone tried it?

crushersmum

Type of diabetes
Parent
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
You can also get a pass at Thorpe park to skip queues (which can be up to 3 or 4 hours in mid summer) but if it is very busy they do mark your pass with the time and length of queue that you have skipped so that you can't go to the front of the next queue until that time is passed. But at least you can then go on one with a shorter wait in the time between on the big rides.
Don't forget when you register for a disabled pass at the entrance that you tell them that you need a friend to accompany you to the front (to carry your bag of jelly beans of course) as going to the front of a queue is no fun on your own if all the mates are at the other end of a 3 hour queue.
Under the Disability laws any similar park with huge queues that might go beyond your normal meal time, would also have to offer similar consessions.

Grumpy

FindingNemo said:
Another advantage to being diabetic, if you break down, the AA get to you a lot quicker!!
Really? Is that true?? Well, as the owner of a Smart car with no spare, i shall bear that in mind...:D

FindingNemo

Grumpy said:
FindingNemo said:
Another advantage to being diabetic, if you break down, the AA get to you a lot quicker!!
Really? Is that true?? Well, as the owner of a Smart car with no spare, i shall bear that in mind...:D

It is very true indeed!!
After my first and very long and exhausting day at univeristy, a couple of years back, I returned to my car to realise that I had a flat tyre, where I had clipped the wheel against the kerb on parking that morning. (very old, uneven kerb stones!) I am a total girl when it comes to cars, but I was already physically and mentally finished and over 90 minutes away from home. I called the AA and at the end of my tether explained the situation, finishing off with a very pathetic, 'and i am diabetic and I need to get home for my tea'!! Not my proudest moment, but I was on the road in 30 minutes, and as the wheel had previously been tightened by one of those whizzy wig macines, I would never have gotten them off myself anyways!!

ahills

1. Free Medical Exemption card for prescriptions
2. Short Regular breaks at work to break a long day up
3. You get to excuse yourself from awkward situations and fix a 'hypo'
4. Maintaining a healthy diet and exercise regime keeps me in great shape
5. It's a great topic starter when meeting new people
6. Free entitlement to a chiropodist
7. And last but not least Diabetes and the Disability Discrimination Act

http://www.diabetes-support.org.uk/joom ... nation-act

FindingNemo

ahills said:
2. Short Regular breaks at work to break a long day up

Unless of course you work shifts for the NHS, then on a good day, you get to go to the toilet once and a single 30 minute break. Otherwise, its a matter of sneaking stuff into your pockets that you can snaffle as and when you need to.