Increasing doses

eng

I've noticed my insulin requirements have recently been growing to a point it's getting rediculous. I'm now taking around 50% more than I used too. I am classed as obese and due to my job I'm quite sedentary although my weight has been stable for around two years. I know I need to loose weight, but what else could cause this raised need in insulin

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

Glen

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes, DIY, winter,
how much is ridiculous?

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
It can be a vicious circle, the more weight we gain leads to more insulin resistance. What is your current ratio ?

ElyDave

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
any other underlying illness?

I'm guessing you already know, the lighter you are the less you'll need as well?

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I've noticed my insulin requirements have recently been growing to a point it's getting rediculous. I'm now taking around 50% more than I used too. I am classed as obese and due to my job I'm quite sedentary although my weight has been stable for around two years. I know I need to loose weight, but what else could cause this raised need in insulin

well im 18 stone and i dont need any extra insulin,i asked the hospital diabetic nurse showing her my diary she told me to stay at 13 Lantus & 8 novorapid 3 injections per day.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
As Mo says it will be the result of growing insulin resistance where the body cannot use much of the body's or your injected insulin. You must reduce your carbohydrate intake drastically to get your weight down. This will gradually remove the insulin resistance and your insulin needs. Do watch out for hypos as your weight reduces and your insulin needs reduce. What is your diet currently like? Didn't the hospital DN discuss diet with you?

eng

As an update, I ended up self prescribed the Libre, That gave me the confidence to low carb and I've lost just over a stone in weight, although my sedentary job and lifestyle didn't allow any more to be shed, so I've started cycling again. Which is a whole new learning experience, but slowly the pounds are dropping and my insulin requirements on non exercise days are reducing (again more learning)