Diagnosed type 1 yesterday

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
Hi everyone I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct place or not but I'm new to all this so please do excuse me if I am in the wrong place.
Let me introduce myself, my name is Kerry aged 26 my diabetes came as a very big shock as really found by chance after a trip to the out of hours doctor for a completely unrelated issue (or so I thought), I'm currently in a bit of a whirlwind with seeing the doctors, nurses and an immediate visit to the diabetes clinic with blood glucose of 28 and starting insulin twice daily. It feels like it isn't really happening to me and I feel a bit dethatched from the situation right now so i suppose I'm looking to see if anyone else felt the same way after diagnosis and a little bit of comfort from others experiences. I have never had any contact with anyone with type 1 so I a really at a loss for someone to talk to.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give :nailbiting:

Reactions: 2 people

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My advice would be take in all the info from the doctors & nurses and follow the advice you will soon be confident in delaing with type 1. I always remember my health visitor who helped me initially when diagnosed 30+ years ago that it is a bit like brushing your teeth its an activity you do every day i.e inject test and eat and thats all there is to it and if you stick to this you will have no problem. My mates dad who was a type 1 lived till he was 89 and never had any problem because he folloed the advice and was very active and drove a car in all but his last few years.

If someone asked me would I want to get rid of diabetes I would say no I have grown to like it and it is part of who I am and the health visitor all those years ago said you will always have plenty of energy for sports and she was right I never get tired on long runs to it is an advantage in some ways.

Good Luck

daisy1

Legend
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Cruelty towards animals.
Hi Kerry and welcome to the forum:)

Here is the information we give to new members and I hope you will find it useful. Ask all the questions you like, and I am sure there will be many, and someone will be able to help.

BASIC INFORMATION FOR NEWLY DIAGNOSED DIABETICS

Diabetes is the general term to describe people who have blood that is sweeter than normal. A number of different types of diabetes exist.

A diagnosis of diabetes tends to be a big shock for most of us. It’s far from the end of the world though and on this forum you’ll find well over 70,000 people who are demonstrating this.

On the forum we have found that with the number of new people being diagnosed with diabetes each day, sometimes the NHS is not being able to give all the advice it would perhaps like to deliver - particularly with regards to people with type 2 diabetes.

The role of carbohydrate

Carbohydrates are a factor in diabetes because they ultimately break down into sugar (glucose) within our blood. We then need enough insulin to either convert the blood sugar into energy for our body, or to store the blood sugar as body fat.

If the amount of carbohydrate we take in is more than our body’s own (or injected) insulin can cope with, then our blood sugar will rise.

The bad news

Research indicates that raised blood sugar levels over a period of years can lead to organ damage, commonly referred to as diabetic complications.

The good news

People on the forum here have shown that there is plenty of opportunity to keep blood sugar levels from going too high. It’s a daily task but it’s within our reach and it’s well worth the effort.

Controlling your carbs

The info below is primarily aimed at people with type 2 diabetes, however, it may also be of benefit for other types of diabetes as well.
There are two approaches to controlling your carbs:

• Reduce your carbohydrate intake
  • Choose ‘better’ carbohydrates
Reduce your carbohydrates

A large number of people on this forum have chosen to reduce the amount of carbohydrates they eat as they have found this to be an effective way of improving (lowering) their blood sugar levels.

The carbohydrates which tend to have the most pronounced effect on blood sugar levels tend to be starchy carbohydrates such as rice, pasta, bread, potatoes and similar root vegetables, flour based products (pastry, cakes, biscuits, battered food etc) and certain fruits.

Choosing better carbohydrates

Another option is to replace ‘white carbohydrates’ (such as white bread, white rice, white flour etc) with whole grain varieties. The idea behind having whole grain varieties is that the carbohydrates get broken down slower than the white varieties –and these are said to have a lower glycaemic index.
http://www.diabetes.co.uk/food/diabetes-and-whole-grains.html

The low glycaemic index diet is often favoured by healthcare professionals but some people with diabetes find that low GI does not help their blood sugar enough and may wish to cut out these foods altogether.

Read more on carbohydrates and diabetes

Eating what works for you

Different people respond differently to different types of food. What works for one person may not work so well for another. The best way to see which foods are working for you is to test your blood sugar with a glucose meter.

To be able to see what effect a particular type of food or meal has on your blood sugar is to do a test before the meal and then test after the meal. A test 2 hours after the meal gives a good idea of how your body has reacted to the meal.

The blood sugar ranges recommended by NICE are as follows:

Blood glucose ranges for type 2 diabetes
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 8.5 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (adults)
  • Before meals: 4 to 7 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 9 mmol/l
Blood glucose ranges for type 1 diabetes (children)
  • Before meals: 4 to 8 mmol/l
  • 2 hours after meals: under 10 mmol/l
However, those that are able to, may wish to keep blood sugar levels below the NICE after meal targets.

Access to blood glucose test strips
The NICE guidelines suggest that people newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes should be offered:

• structured education to every person and/or their carer at and around the time of diagnosis, with annual reinforcement and review
  • self-monitoring of plasma glucose to a person newly diagnosed with type 2 diabetes only as an integral part of his or her self-management education

Therefore both structured education and self-monitoring of blood glucose should be offered to people with type 2 diabetes. Read more on getting access to blood glucose testing supplies.

You may also be interested to read questions to ask at a diabetic clinic

Note: This post has been edited from Sue/Ken's post to include up to date information.

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Hi Kerry, shock is a normal reaction and it takes a bit of time to get your head around things but ask plenty and trawl the forum. Good luck, Mo

hale710

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi kerry, welcome!

I was diagnosed at 23 with BG of 29. Went to the doctor because I thought I was anaemic (oops) that was almost a year ago

We've all been where you are now and come out the other side ok. Read everything you can, you'll get there!

Blogging at drivendiabetic.wordpress.com

spaceman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi everyone I'm not sure if I'm posting in the correct place or not but I'm new to all this so please do excuse me if I am in the wrong place.
Let me introduce myself, my name is Kerry aged 26 my diabetes came as a very big shock as really found by chance after a trip to the out of hours doctor for a completely unrelated issue (or so I thought), I'm currently in a bit of a whirlwind with seeing the doctors, nurses and an immediate visit to the diabetes clinic with blood glucose of 28 and starting insulin twice daily. It feels like it isn't really happening to me and I feel a bit dethatched from the situation right now so i suppose I'm looking to see if anyone else felt the same way after diagnosis and a little bit of comfort from others experiences. I have never had any contact with anyone with type 1 so I a really at a loss for someone to talk to.
Thank you in advance for any advice you can give :nailbiting:
first thing is dont worry about it,the diabetic clinic nurses are great friendly and very helpfull,the injections taking them becomes a way of life.im a type 1 been at it 14 months now. theres loads of info around on line i found this one to be the best.

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. Your experience is very common so do read the forums, particularly this one, to find out how others have coped. After a few weeks do also look around the forums for the various approaches others have taken with their insulin and some of the questions you can ask your diabetes nurse. Do ask here if you have any specific questions or concerns.

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you all for your replies, I now realise that I am not alone and that this T1 fog will lift once I get used to things. Today was a little easier than yesterday even if my BG did sky rocket, hopefully I will keep taking steps forward.

Best wishes to you all, am sure I will become a familiar sight now I know there are lovely people to talk to on this site x

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Hello! Sorry to hear and it must be a shock but you will adjust to life with diabetes very quickly :)
I was diagnosed 11 years ago at the age of 12 and upon diagnosis my blood sugar was 47!!!!!! No lie, it was that high, and I was in hospital for a week.
It will take some getting used to but listen to your body and listen to the doctors and nurses and you will learn what works for you.
Good luck :)

Reactions: 4 people

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
What insulin u on

Sent from the diabetes forum app for iPhone

Sonnyb2

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
None
Don't worry mine were 50 when I told I was type 1 diabetic

Reactions: 3 people

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
It's an emotional roller-coaster when we are diagnosed with diabetes, however things do get better Kerry and all will begin to make more sense, stick around and share your progress and don't be afraid to ask any questions that you may have.

Reactions: 4 people

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Don't worry mine were 50 when I told I was type 1 diabetic

Hi there I am currently on novomix 30 but today the diabetes clinic have changed me to a bolas basal regime because the novomix isn't bringing my glucose levels down at all. I will be changing to the new insulin on Wednesday when the prescription is ready :) hopefully this might suit me better.

G2ADY

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Kerry and welcome, As some of the others have said, you'll be fine. I was diagnosed in December. In all honesty it's nowhere as bad as you may think. You'll read some horror stories ( as I did) but please remember that medicine today, in particular insulin is far more advanced than it was 10, 20, 30 years ago, as such, complications that you may read about are much less likely if you manage your condition well. No doubt you'll have the same journey over the next few weeks like we've all had. The one good thing you've done is to find this forum early. You've probably already discovered that there are a lot of helpful and experienced people on here. What's more, its a really upbeat and positive forum.

It's already been said by previous posters but I second the opinion that just concern yourself this week with getting all the information you can from your clinic / doctors.

Remember though, it really isn't as bad as you originally thought. Most of us will say that we feel better now than we did pre diagnosis.

Speak soon
Steve

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Thank you Steve it's really good to know that with you being diagnosed in December you seem to have a positive attitude and it sounds like you've adapted quite quickly. This really shows me that if others can do it then so can I. I really didn't know anything about t1 before my diagnosis apart from all the horror stories in the media and all over the internet (I found out the hard way that googling a diagnosis is a bad idea lol). Thank goodness for modern medicine! I hope you are keeping well and continue to do so. Than you again :)

yingtong

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
People who.kock diabetes
Hi Kerry,I am a diabetic of 50 years.i have played many sports, including football to semi-professional level,so I am living proof that providing you look after you diabetes life fine.Listen to.the professionals and learn as much as you can about diabetes.So my advice to you is treat your diabetes with respect,monitor your blood/glucose levels and keep it on even keel and get on with living your life.Good Luck

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

clucker34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rudeness
Hi Kerry, I was diagnosed at 18 months old am now 35 and mother to an extremely lively 2yr old. Sometimes things are tough but we are made of strong stuff! Good luck and all the best x x

lutype1

Hi Kerry,

You remind me of myself. I was diagnosed with type 1 about 20 months ago at the age of 26. Despite the fact I thought I had diabetes before the doctors confirmed it, it was a massive shock for me too.
So many people have said it already but you honestly will get used to it. (I remember people saying that to me on diagnosis and I just kept thinking 'I don't want to have to get used to it!')

One of the best things I did was take 10 days off work (3 following my hospital admission and a further week after that.) I didn't want to at first and felt a bit like I was skiving but looking back I realise I needed that time. It gave me time to get used to everything and sort out my routines- as well as attend all the appointments. I did so much research and found talking about it to others really useful- you will find no one knows much about it- you will repeat the stuff so much it will be word for word eventually.

Things I would recommend:

- Start a folder to file all the info, letters from the hospital/ doctors etc.- this will pile up pretty quickly!
- Allow your friends/family/partner to help you-bring them to appointments and share your readings with them- there is nothing worse than feeling alone.
- Take each day as it comes- you will soon find it becoming easier and easier. Some days will be better than others but tomorrow is always a new day.
- Don't worry if you get it wrong- have highs/ lows - again.
- Don't hesitate to call your diabetes nurse with any questions/ concerns etc- they are there to help you, and they will.

I remember hating injections at first- it was a massive ritual to lay all the stuff out, set alarms, change needles etc. It won't always be this way.

Here are a couple of positives for you to focus on-
- you are lucky to get it later in life- you have enjoyed a childhood/growing up without worrying about diabetes.
- diabetes could show you a new healthy living lifestyle- I feel great for it! You will be so in tune with your body.
- you will, hopefully, be supported by an excellent network of health care professionals who will always be on the phone if you need help/ support.

Best of luck with the next few days,
I remember how tough it was. Joining the forum was a brilliant idea.

Lu

lutype1

P.s - I remember the feeling of not thinking it was happening to me- I thought the Drs would turn round any minute and tell me they have made a mistake!

Try to keep notes of what the Drs tell you but don't panic if it goes over your head a bit- all will become clearer each day.

Most importantly- stay positive. It really could be worse.

Xx