Stevia

VBee

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Baked beans
Does anyone use this, what are your thoughts?

http://www.naturallygreen.co.uk/stevia- ... p78816j305

Stevia is processed from the “Stevia Rebaudiana” plant. When refined into a white powder extract (stevioside), it is 200-300 times sweeter than sugar. Stevia has garnered attention with the rise in demand for low-carbohydrate , low-sugar food alternatives. Stevia also has shown promise in medical research for treating such conditions as obesity and high blood pressure. In the US, it is also banned for use in foods but can legally be used in supplements. This is NOT the case in the uk where, the sale of stevia as a food product is banned and it can only be sold for pharmaceutical use. Anyone claiming otherwise really should do their homework before selling a product they don't understand.

Natural therapists have been using stevia for many years to regulate blood sugar levels. According to a June 28, 2002, report on Australia's national broadcaster ABC (http://www.abc.net.au), the herb can be taken in droplet form with meals, bringing blood glucose levels to "near normal".

Users of stevia have also reported lower incidence of colds and flu. The herb can aid in weight loss by reducing appetite and can be used to suppress tobacco and alcohol cravings. This is because stevia leaf contains various vitamins and minerals including vitamins A and C, zinc, rutin, magnesium and iron. Stevia can also be used for skin care as it can be applied to enhance the skin's appearance or to heal acne, blemishes and skin disorders including dermatitis, eczema and seborrhoea. It can also be used to heal cuts and scratches quickly and without scarring and it is for these reasons we are able to sell stevia legally in the UK. This product Therefore, should not be used as a sweetener and is for pharmaceutical use only

Stevia however, is used in Japan to sweeten soy sauce, pickles and soft drinks and is being used by companies such as coca cola for their products in these countries. Brazil, and other south american countries. Korea and China also allow the use of stevia for its soft drinks market.

Should you 'accidentally' ingest our stevia, you'll be pleased to know that it contains no carbs, calories, artificial ingredients or fillers but does contain a Minimum 95% Steviosides 60% Rebaudioside A (the active ingredients that make stevia taste so sweet)

Stevia is safe for diabetics as well as persons who suffer from hypoglycemia.

Unlike the green stevia leaf powder, stevia blend has virtually no aftertaste and does not leave any residue. Some people dislike the taste of stevia leaf powder and those who do will love this stevia blend. Now you can use a completely natural product extracted from the plant in a completely natural way.

Stevia blend is granulated like sugar and dissolves quickly and has a 1:1 sweetness ratio to sugar, so it is very easy to measure, although we obviously don't recommend it to be used internally. Stevia blend would if allowed, be ideal for baking and cooking with, unlike the stevia extract which does not provide the bulk. Stevia blend has less than 1 Calorie and less than 1 Carbohydrate per serving making it safe for diabetics and it is often used in hot or cold liquids, sprinkled on cereals and fruit, or in any way that you wish to use.

fergus

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hi VBee,

I do. I have a stash sent to me by a pal on a U.S. forum and it's very good stuff. I've weaned myself off sweet things altogether these days so I rarely use it. I've got a plan for a low-carb Xmas trifle however, so its time is nigh :twisted:
You can get it in the UK too, PM me for details if you like.

All the best,

fergus

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
According to this document:

The information submitted on the plant products was insufficient with regard to
specification and standardisation of the commercial product and contains no safety
studies. There are no satisfactory data to support the safe use of these products as
ingredients of food or as sucrose substitute for diabetics and obese individuals. The
only toxicological data submitted are essentially concerned with the stevioside
component of the plant product. No appropriate data were presented to enable the
safety of the commercial plant product to be evaluated.

Regards, Tubs.

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Yes. But bear in mind that it is in use in Japan with little or no negative publicity. In the US, as I understand it, it is legal to sell Stevia as a dietary aid but not as a food additive :)

The Wikipedia entry for Stevia asserts the US FDA banned Stevia as a result of artificial sweetener industry pressure and the ban was later withdrawn.

Regards, Tubs.