First diabetic "clinic"

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
I attended my first diabetic clinic on Friday last week, and had to report how good it was.

My hba1c is up to 6.0 (it was down to 5.6 before Xmas) but I put that down to carb-loading over the festive bingeson, sorry I mean season. Total cholesterol is up to 6.0 whereas it was down to 4.0, which is just weird but I'm not that bothered. Weight is back down to pre-Xmas weight so those extra 5 or 6 lbs that joined my gut have now fled once more *yay* ...

The reason I think it was a good meeting is that even though both the DSN and GP said that "most people recommend diabetics eat carbs" they felt that my results (reduced hba1c and weight lower than in the last decade) showed that MY WAY was working very well for me, the doctor even said that "it is becoming more common that low-carbing gets good results" and they were both very happy for me to continue the way I'm going.

I left feeling very upbeat and very much in control.

The only minor downside is that my test strips have been removed from my repeat prescriptions page on the system so I may need to beg for those in the future; however as I feel a lot more confident now in knowing which foods work for me, it isn't that bad, I can always "top up" on the quiet side by buying my own strips.

I then left to go and pick up my medications from the chemist next door and the friendly lady on reception desk asked if I had some time to "chat" with the pharmacist about my medications ... "how ominous", I thought, as she led me into the privacy booth!

We talked about my various medications and the chap was extremely pleasant and knowledgable, he talked to me about coming off my depression medication (it is now a year since I started on them, due to being diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder) which I am starting to feel might become a reality pretty soon. We discussed the lovely side effects of metfartin and how I have an "intolerance" to statins, about my recent bouts of "reactive arthritis" (the single most painful thing I've ever endured) and about health in general.

We then talked about his childhood on the Isle of Skye and about how I had been there holidaying with my family on a number of occasions ... and I enjoyed that particular accent GREATLY! *swoon*

Anyhow, the point I guess I'm (in a very protracted way) coming to (Yay I hear your sigh) is that the NSH has a bad reputation and often people have pitiful experiences with their healthcare teams (and in the past I have had awful times with them too) BUT my latest experience was very very good!

All the best, have a happy sunshiney day!

Jem xoxoxoxox

tubolard

Dislikes
Fasteddie; Richard K Bernstein; William S. Atkins; Rosemary Bloody Conley;
Well done you, and it is good when GPs listen to you isn't it?

It's a shame about the test strips though, no explanation from the GP?

The nearest I got to a chat with the pharmacist was when he remarked that my strips prescription had been reduced from 150 to 50 strips, so had to explain the profiling to him. Which was fun.

It would be good if there was a formal way that we could highlight best practices to the NHS, that way, all the good news stories that we have to tell.

Regards, Tubs.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
Nah no explanation, but it wasn't until I'd left the "clinic" that I went to pick up my repeat scrips and found the test strips were the only ones that had NOT been signed off ... poooo ... still, if I got 50 a month I could probably accept that, as long as they don't take them away completely /// and yes, the satisfaction of having somebody listen was FAB ... when it's about your health and it's something that affects you for the rest of your life!

xxx

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
hya jem hun,
so pleased it worked out well, my diabetes nurse and dietician are both great and it really does help :D

saz1

Congrats Jem and well done! I'm so envious, I won't be referred to a dietitian or chiropodist unless I encounter problems with my feet or weightloss/ bs levels. My doctor seems quite reasonable but will not prescribe strips because apparently testing just causes extra stress and it won't have any effect on type 2 anyway... so I'm a bit peeved but so happy for you though!!!! :mrgreen:

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
The Great Myth
Testing causes Stress and isn't any use to T2s. That one has got entrenched along with the complex carbs. It's all down to money!!! Don't spend £0.10 today, because if the patient dies in time, you won't need to spend £10.00 on complications.
It'a all very cynical

chocoholic

Hi Jem,
You are one of the most cheery people on this forum and it's great that even though you've had a slight blip with readings, you know why and are not letting it get you down.
I always look forward to hearing positive stories about NHS treatment, as it's something a bit alien to me of late and it reminds me that there is hope of better treatment filtering down to all of us in time.
Keep smiling, Jem.
choccie.

Jem

Dislikes
cheers my lovelies ... gotta keep the chin (or chins in my case HAH) up regardless eh - but it IS so nice to report positive times once in a while :)

as to the podiatrist, my DSN poked my feet and said I didn't need to go /// BUT you should be awware that as a diabetic you can self-refer to your podiatry department at local hospital .. so if feet are a concern, then just go for it! Also if you really wanna see a dietitian, then moan long and hard and say such things as "oh, isn't butter and lard good for you then?" and hopefully you'll get an appointment ... although you may not like the advice!!

choccy, you're a love! and the only reason I'm cheery is that people like you gave me the riht advice when I first arrived here and I'm feeling better because of that advice :)

J.xxxxx

hazey276

Hi jem, so pleased to hear about your first diabetic clinic and the success it was. I agree you are one of the most upbeat people on here and if i'm feeling a bit down you always cheer me up. Hope you can get off the depression medication, I used to be on it so I know what it's like.

Good luck and thanks for making me smile !!!!!!!!!!!! :D :D :D

Hazey

Jem

Dislikes
awwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwwww ... bless your heart!

thanks for your sweet words and total kindness ...

I think it shouldn't be too hard to come off them, the type is different to ones that I had before, when it was a real struggle to come off them (nightmare, I got the brain shakes!) - I wasn't actually too keen to go on these in the first place, but I don't think I would've coped too well with the last year without ... anyhow, I'm starting to get the diabetes thing under control (kinda, I had meringue related issues last night!) so hopefully soon I can start reducing the doseage ... *yay*

have a great day all xxx

Bubsy Malone

Dislikes
Patronising people, fish and cold callers
Well done you! Good to hear you're still the same old Jem we know and love, even after the hard time you've had with your little one.Here's hoping you get the results you want at your next appointment. :wink:

Trinkwasser

Jem said:
The reason I think it was a good meeting is that even though both the DSN and GP said that "most people recommend diabetics eat carbs" they felt that my results (reduced hba1c and weight lower than in the last decade) showed that MY WAY was working very well for me, the doctor even said that "it is becoming more common that low-carbing gets good results" and they were both very happy for me to continue the way I'm going.

It's catching on!

The only minor downside is that my test strips have been removed from my repeat prescriptions page on the system so I may need to beg for those in the future; however as I feel a lot more confident now in knowing which foods work for me, it isn't that bad, I can always "top up" on the quiet side by buying my own strips.

"You're doing well. Now stop" <fume>

We talked about my various medications and the chap was extremely pleasant and knowledgable, he talked to me about coming off my depression medication (it is now a year since I started on them, due to being diagnosed with post traumatic stress disorder) which I am starting to feel might become a reality pretty soon.

What are you on? Don't be in too much hurry to stop, many of them have a strong "discontinuation syndrome" and may require tapering the dose over a prolonged period. This is partly related to their half life, worst with venlafaxine and seroxat. Some authorities will switch you to prozac which has a very long half life and almost tapers itself. Over time I've dropped down to 1/6 of my original dose but due to the chronic/genetic nature of my depression/ADD I have NO intention of stopping the stuff ever again. Occasionally I tweak my dose and retitrate it.

Trinkwasser

tubolard said:
Well done you, and it is good when GPs listen to you isn't it?

It's a shame about the test strips though, no explanation from the GP?

The nearest I got to a chat with the pharmacist was when he remarked that my strips prescription had been reduced from 150 to 50 strips, so had to explain the profiling to him. Which was fun.

It would be good if there was a formal way that we could highlight best practices to the NHS, that way, all the good news stories that we have to tell.

Regards, Tubs.

My pharmacist queried why I was buying strips OTC. I took in my graphs, that shut him up <G>

Agreed, there is an NHS Blog but I don't know if they ever read it

http://talk.nhs.uk/blogs/diabetes/default.aspx

Somewhere I recall someone posting something about being an "informed patient" sorry I'm not helping much am I? <G> I'll see if I can dig it out.

Trinkwasser

saz1 said:
Congrats Jem and well done! I'm so envious, I won't be referred to a dietitian or chiropodist unless I encounter problems with my feet or weightloss/ bs levels. My doctor seems quite reasonable but will not prescribe strips because apparently testing just causes extra stress and it won't have any effect on type 2 anyway... so I'm a bit peeved but so happy for you though!!!! :mrgreen:

This is the paper they have read

http://www.bmj.com/cgi/content/abstract/335/7611/132

(don't forget to read the responses, you may recognise a few of the names)

This is the paper they SHOULD read

http://care.diabetesjournals.org/cgi/co ... /29/8/1757

you could send them a copy but the accountants probably won't listen

Kaiser Permanente are not noted for spending their profits on healthcare, so if they think it is cost effective then it must be! (Andrew Karter has published several positive papers on the benefits of testing)

Jem

Dislikes
I pm'd you Trink :) xx