Mood swings, can it be treated medically

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I have noticed that I become very angry,impatient and irritable when I my sugar level is high and the mood doesn't seem to change quickly when my sugars get to around normal levels, something that is apparent is my "lack of focus" I seem to have suffered from this and mood swings since the condition got hold of me.
I believe the medical body should make themselves aware of these mental issues and look to restore brain imbalance as well as the other issues caused by being diabetic.
What are your thoughts?

Alanp35

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cricket, golf
As a fairly newbie I reckon that the medical profession is fully aware of the mental " problems" suffered by diabetics. I too share the same type of symptoms you have, and sometimes they feel almost murderous. Often stops me sleeping well and sometimes not at all, all down to these very strong feelings. Is this common among diabetics ? Is is something we should be pushing to get some help with ?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I use Zopeclone to sleep, would like to see if there is a drug to help focus out there, don't think anti-depressants would help I am able to receive them on prescription if I require, just don't think they would help though just haze my mind.
I think pushing the NHS for more research information is worth a go

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Highs and lows cause alot of stress in the body. I think though if it is the only cause of moods change then some anti ds can cause more problems because there is no depression which is often the treatment. I do think that the frequent highs/lows do have a very large impact on daily life/sleep etc. best way deal with them first and things will get better

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Reactions: 2 people

carlrr

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Arguments
I'm not so sure about that I was always a very positive person, since being a diabetic I have lost this advantage and also my focus, the cup seems to be half empty now and not half full, my memory seems to have suffered also.
I'm sure there is medication to help this