Cholesterol on a Low Carb Diet

JustDomUK

I've just come back from my docs. The result of my cholesterol is 5.3. The breakdown is not so good :( My HDL is 1.1 which means the remainder is made from the other components. My last cholesterol test was pre Christmas (23rd). The result was 5. I was told that my HDL has increased by 0.1. The word statins came into the convo. I've been on this diet two weeks and one day. I honestly don't know what to think.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

modesty007

Type of diabetes
Other
Treatment type
Diet only
I've just come back from my docs. The result of my cholesterol is 5.3. The breakdown is not so good :( My HDL is 1.1 which means the remainder is made from the other components. My last cholesterol test was pre Christmas (23rd). The result was 5. I was told that my HDL has increased by 0.1. The word statins came into the convo. I've been on this diet two weeks and one day. I honestly don't know what to think.

Natural saturated fat will help to increase your HDL besides this your triglycerides are important and they will go down to on a low carb diet.

Reactions: 2 people

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Its probably down to the short space of time between starting the diet and the cholesterol test. It can take up to a couple of months for the body to adjust to your new diet. My HDL was similar to yours when I was on a low fat diet and my trigs were high too.

These are my latest results which as you can see my HDL and trigs are Ideal, my LDL is also lower on the HF/LC.
TC 5.28
HDL 2.09
LDL 2.95
Trigs 0.52

TC/HDL ratio 2.53

Reactions: 4 people

JustDomUK

These are my latest results which as you can see my HDL and trigs are Ideal, my LDL is also lower on the HF/LC.
TC 5.28
HDL 2.09
LDL 2.95
Trigs 0.52
TC/HDL ratio 2.53

I asked about these but for some reason they're not recorded onto the system. How do you find these out?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I asked about these but for some reason they're not recorded onto the system. How do you find these out?

Did you have to fast for your blood test? If so it would indicate it was a full lipid breakdown test so if that was the case the data should all be there in theory unless the lab fluffed up your specimen.

Reactions: 2 people

JustDomUK

Did you have to fast for your blood test? If so it would indicate it was a full lipid breakdown test so if that was the case the data should all be there in theory unless the lab fluffed up your specimen.

Yes it was a fasting one. Can I go directly to the lab? Or do I have to go back to the GP?

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
Yes it was a fasting one. Can I go directly to the lab? Or do I have to go back to the GP?

I would personally go back to the GP's and ask for some clarity-they should be able to liaise electronically with the lab (Well mine can anyway)

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

Both your gp and hospital diabetes clinic (if you are under their care) will have your latest cholesterol results, I find it much easier to ring the hospital clinic and ask them rather than go through my gp practice.

JustDomUK

Both your gp and hospital diabetes clinic (if you are under their care) will have your latest cholesterol results, I find it much easier to ring the hospital clinic and ask them rather than go through my gp practice.

I'll try the hospital as the GP surgery told me that they only had the HDL recorded on the system which means that all the results may not have been inputted into theirs.

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours

Whoa, hold on. I haven't been told to fast. Does that mean the test I'm getting is actually 'the shaft'? Seriously, I wouldn't be surprised.

I got told that because I'm not diabetic, I'm not considered to have high cholesterol in my current range (5.3). I'm just getting the test to satisfy my curiosity. But I was told the blood test would test my HDL, so if the numbers that come back are the 'same old ****' then GYAH! quite frankly.

I do know one thing. There is no proof that fats cause heart disease, but there is countless proof that statins cure only 1 in 450 people of heart disease, but as a side effect give 45 of those people kidney failure, so hell will freeze over before I take a statin. That's just my opinion on them though.

Reactions: 3 people

Claire87

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Dislikes
Brain tumours
Soryr, not an answer to your actual question, but just a comment regarding something you said at the beginning.
We all will eventually end up on pointless medication because that is what they are trying to do. It feeds into the pharmaceutical industry. Its like Cancer etc.. there are 'cures' out there, but they do NOT go for natural, the pharmaceutical industry (worth a number i cannot count to!) does not research alternatives, that also includes foods we already have. Sadly.

Like I said in my own post earlier, my nurse encouraged me to go back eating more carbs as I need this for brain activity and energy, when Im losing weight AT LAST and feeling ALOT better without all the ****** carbs (excuse my french) that on top of everything make me CRAVE naughty foods. Why making it more difficult for me to lose weight and holding me back even more now I have found something that is working for me? In all my previous appointments with my GPs, asking and begging for help to lose weight, NO ONE ever helped me. You just get dumped into this box of 'exercise and eat healthily'.
To go back to what i originally wanted to say, well my nurse encourages me to eat carbs for certain reasons, when you tell me about Ketosis, so she should know about that instead of holding me back from losing more weight and feeling better with myself! I find it shocking and tbh i shall do some more research on that subject and will have a word with her about that (no doubt she's find something else to say why i still need carbs). I do still eat carbs but very little and not every day. Have tried to stick to once or twice a week. Thats enough!

Hi, I think that has been my overall opinion after all of this. I don't trust my doctor's opinion anymore. If they come near with medication, I back away, do some research and check all the side effects before any more **** goes into my body. I don't think the doctors and nurses are to blame here. They're trained a certain way. No matter how good their intentions are, a lot depends on where they get their information from. The results they use for information come from medical testing. Medical testing is funded by the food industry and drug companies in most cases, who benefit from cheap carby foods and getting people hooked on drugs. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded by it all, but I'm not willing to risk my life on a result that comes from a greedy company.

And, I know, we should listen to our doctors, but they keep misdiagnosing me and giving me bad advice, so they're gonna have to earn my trust I think. When they actually cure me of something, I'll trust their opinion again.

I think you should do your low carb diet if it make you feel better, and the weight is coming off. My old doctor, who has since retired, used to say that it was dangerous to cut fat out of your diet (I tend to agree). He also used to say that you know how you feel better than anyone else. If you feel healthy on your diet, and the weight is coming off, you're probably on the right diet for you. I certainly believe that the low carb diet is the one for me. I never plan to come off it. It's not a diet. It's a healthy lifestyle change where I can eat things that I like and not get ill or fat. It also reverses the effects of diabetes.

Watch out drugs like statins. If you're not on medication, avoid it like the plague!

Here's what I got told by an expert in low carb diets and diabetes: Go on a low carb diet. Don't tell your nurse. She won't agree with it and will try to stop you by using BS out-of-date reasons. Don't let them give you any medication. Lose weight and avoid all that pointless suffering they've got lined up for you. Low carb diets have an 80% chance of reversing the effects of T2 diabetes.

So, I went for no more than 20g carbs a day. The first two weeks suck of course. The weight falls off at around 7-10lbs per month. Your blood sugar drops to a safe all-time-low. Your cholesterol may rise, but that's a BS number anyway. 2 weeks in I'd lost enough weight to avoid medication (they had a prescription waiting for me that I made them tear up). Two months in I'd lowered my blood sugar to be declared 'no longer diabetic'. 7 months in, I hit my perfect weight and am still no longer diabetic. I feel healthier than ever, I look great, I'm not diabetic and I eat food that I like.

The alternative: A low fat diet, starvation, depression, killing yourself at the gym, illness and medication for life. Nope, I no longer listen to my doctor TBH.

I think the thing is that no one pays to test out the T2 diabetes/low carb diet solution. Food companies won't pay to prove that their food is deadly. Drug companies won't pay to prove that their drugs are useless. The only person who ever paid to test a low carb diet was Dr Atkins, and he died bankrupt, trying to prove that point. I think it all comes down to money and greed.

A

AnnieC

I thin
Hi, I think that has been my overall opinion after all of this. I don't trust my doctor's opinion anymore. If they come near with medication, I back away, do some research and check all the side effects before any more **** goes into my body. I don't think the doctors and nurses are to blame here. They're trained a certain way. No matter how good their intentions are, a lot depends on where they get their information from. The results they use for information come from medical testing. Medical testing is funded by the food industry and drug companies in most cases, who benefit from cheap carby foods and getting people hooked on drugs. Perhaps I'm a bit jaded by it all, but I'm not willing to risk my life on a result that comes from a greedy company.

And, I know, we should listen to our doctors, but they keep misdiagnosing me and giving me bad advice, so they're gonna have to earn my trust I think. When they actually cure me of something, I'll trust their opinion again.

I think you should do your low carb diet if it make you feel better, and the weight is coming off. My old doctor, who has since retired, used to say that it was dangerous to cut fat out of your diet (I tend to agree). He also used to say that you know how you feel better than anyone else. If you feel healthy on your diet, and the weight is coming off, you're probably on the right diet for you. I certainly believe that the low carb diet is the one for me. I never plan to come off it. It's not a diet. It's a healthy lifestyle change where I can eat things that I like and not get ill or fat. It also reverses the effects of diabetes.

Watch out drugs like statins. If you're not on medication, avoid it like the plague!

Here's what I got told by an expert in low carb diets and diabetes: Go on a low carb diet. Don't tell your nurse. She won't agree with it and will try to stop you by using BS out-of-date reasons. Don't let them give you any medication. Lose weight and avoid all that pointless suffering they've got lined up for you. Low carb diets have an 80% chance of reversing the effects of T2 diabetes.

So, I went for no more than 20g carbs a day. The first two weeks suck of course. The weight falls off at around 7-10lbs per month. Your blood sugar drops to a safe all-time-low. Your cholesterol may rise, but that's a BS number anyway. 2 weeks in I'd lost enough weight to avoid medication (they had a prescription waiting for me that I made them tear up). Two months in I'd lowered my blood sugar to be declared 'no longer diabetic'. 7 months in, I hit my perfect weight and am still no longer diabetic. I feel healthier than ever, I look great, I'm not diabetic and I eat food that I like.

The alternative: A low fat diet, starvation, depression, killing yourself at the gym, illness and medication for life. Nope, I no longer listen to my doctor TBH.

I think the thing is that no one pays to test out the T2 diabetes/low carb diet solution. Food companies won't pay to prove that their food is deadly. Drug companies won't pay to prove that their drugs are useless. The only person who ever paid to test a low carb diet was Dr Atkins, and he died bankrupt, trying to prove that point. I think it all comes down to money and greed.

I think you are being a bit to specific with your post and you are more or less saying only what you are doing do is the right way. Every one is different and has to find out for theirselves as to what diet and medication suits them best. You have obviously done well on your regime so good for you but don't make it sound like those who don't do it the same way will face a lifetime of illness depression and medication etc. This forum is to help people not frighten them and an awful lot of good advice is given when it is asked for but we still respect whatever choices people make for themselves because it is right for them

Last edited:
Reactions: 4 people

mpe

Total cholesterol test is of no use whatsoever. You might want to know your ldl/hdl ratio and your triglycerides, but mostly you want to know about the lipoproteins.

Total cholesterol probably does have meaning. But as a general health indicator if it is high and (especially) if it is low.
What actually appears to be relevent to CVD is pattern B LDL. Whilst LDL/HDL ratios (along with apoB) might be indicative of either pattern A or pattern B only a test which looks at LDL particle size will actually tell you this.
Note also that pattern B LDL particles contain less cholesterol than pattern A LDL particles. So cholesterol lowering drugs (of all kinds) might have the undesirable effect of increasing pattern B.

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
I thin

I think you are being a bit to specific with your post and you are more or less saying only what you do is right. Every one is different and has to find out for theirselves as to what diet and medication suits them best. You have obviously done well on your regime so good for you but don't tell people they face a lifetime of illness depression medication etc if they don't do it the same way. This forum is to help people not frighten them and good advice is given when asked for but we still respect whatever choices people make for themselves and do not say what is right or wrong

Claire is not telling anyone what to do in any way-just having an opinion of which she is entitled to do as this is a forum after all! If we all agreed on everything and believed everything the NHS told them then there would be no need for forums at all.

tonyS54

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I thin

I think you are being a bit to specific with your post and you are more or less saying only what you do is right. Every one is different and has to find out for theirselves as to what diet and medication suits them best. You have obviously done well on your regime so good for you but don't make it sound like those who don't do it the same way will face a lifetime of illness depression medication etc. This forum is to help people not frighten them and good advice is given when asked for but we still respect whatever choices people make for themselves and do not say what is right or wrong

To be fair Claire's thread title was Cholesterol on a Low Carb Diet and specifically asking for opinions from those who had already made their choice of diet.

A

AnnieC

Claire is not telling anyone what to do in any way-just having an opinion of which she is entitled to do as this is a forum after all! If we all agreed on everything and believed everything the NHS told them then there would be no need for forums at all.
No Paul I am certainly not saying we should all believe what the NHS tells us as we all have to do what we think is best for us I certainly don't go by the NHS guidelines when it comes to a diabetic diet and I am not saying Claire is trying to tell people what to do either but she could have worded it a bit better and not made it sound like anyone who has a different diet or regime are doomed to have a life of depression and illness

A

AnnieC

To be fair Claire's thread title was Cholesterol on a Low Carb Diet and specifically asking for opinions from those who had already made their choice of diet.
I don't think it was actually Claire who was asking for opinions on the cholesterol and low carb that was the OP

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
No Paul I am certainly not saying we should all believe what the NHS tells us as we all have to do what we think is best for us I certainly don't go by the NHS guidelines when it comes to a diabetic diet and I am not saying Claire is trying to tell people what to do either but she could have worded it a bit better and not made it sound like anyone who has a different diet or regime are doomed to have a life of depression and illness

Looking at Claire's post she didn't need to word it better IMO-she simply voiced her opinion on her own thread-if you don't agree with her then that's cool but no-one is telling anyone what to do-you have the choice to simply ignore.