Nearly 2 months in now

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Hi,
During the last 2 months since diagnosis I think I've been through all the emotions - acceptance, denial, grieving, optimistic etc. It's so difficult to accept diabetes is for life and not like having flu where you will recover from it. But slowly I am accepting it. I'm in the process of working out which foods make me spike and find that testing at 1 hr and again at 2 hrs after eating best at the moment. I have found that my biggest spike will happen 1 hr after eating if it's going to, so maybe that is the best one for me to take notice of?

I started out on the ordinary Metformin but it affected my tum very badly, so my dr. gave me the slow release type which is much kinder! However I find it does make me feel sick and then I find it difficult to eat. A slice of stoneground wholemeal bread with a little meat and salad often sorts me out and I don't spike, my BG just goes up a point to about 7.0. At the moment I am aiming at keeping my BG between 5 and 6 or 7 (with the intention of getting to between 4 and 5) until I can sort my diet out properly, though I occasionally go to 8.5. It comes down quickly though. When you begin sorting your own personal diet out it's like finding your way through a maze, isn't it? But I have read that it takes a few months until you get there.

My weight is dropping at about 1 kilo a week, so in all, since last Spring, I have lost 2 stones as I lost 1 stone before diagnosis, so now I look like I am wearing someone elses clothes !!. I don't see the point in buying new ones until my weight has settled - unless I have to.

I have started taking Iron and Vit D and find the fatigue is gradually improving - each day is a battle when you have no energy. I don't have the energy yet to exercise but I'm sure it will come, but am more active around the house.

This Forum is the best thing I have found with this diabetes battle.

Reactions: 2 people
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
You seem to be doing all the right things or at least you are approaching it in a similar manner to me so of course I like your attitude.

Exercising can be a great help when you get some energy. Just walking as far as you feel able to in the beginning. I had an issue with some of the pills but then I have the misfortune of getting side effects from pills and few of the benefits. Once that got sorted I had a lot more energy.

stokie

All the best for the future with diabetes. I was diagnosed in October of last year with type 2 I've had a toe amputated and it's taken it this long to heal. I have started riding my bike to get fitter and to lose weight.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
Hi,
During the last 2 months since diagnosis I think I've been through all the emotions - acceptance, denial, grieving, optimistic etc. It's so difficult to accept diabetes is for life and not like having flu where you will recover from it. But slowly I am accepting it. I'm in the process of working out which foods make me spike and find that testing at 1 hr and again at 2 hrs after eating best at the moment. I have found that my biggest spike will happen 1 hr after eating if it's going to, so maybe that is the best one for me to take notice of?

I started out on the ordinary Metformin but it affected my tum very badly, so my dr. gave me the slow release type which is much kinder! However I find it does make me feel sick and then I find it difficult to eat. A slice of stoneground wholemeal bread with a little meat and salad often sorts me out and I don't spike, my BG just goes up a point to about 7.0. At the moment I am aiming at keeping my BG between 5 and 6 or 7 (with the intention of getting to between 4 and 5) until I can sort my diet out properly, though I occasionally go to 8.5. It comes down quickly though. When you begin sorting your own personal diet out it's like finding your way through a maze, isn't it? But I have read that it takes a few months until you get there.

My weight is dropping at about 1 kilo a week, so in all, since last Spring, I have lost 2 stones as I lost 1 stone before diagnosis, so now I look like I am wearing someone elses clothes !!. I don't see the point in buying new ones until my weight has settled - unless I have to.

I have started taking Iron and Vit D and find the fatigue is gradually improving - each day is a battle when you have no energy. I don't have the energy yet to exercise but I'm sure it will come, but am more active around the house.

This Forum is the best thing I have found with this diabetes battle.

your doing terrific :) well done! keep it up :)

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
All the best for the future with diabetes. I was diagnosed in October of last year with type 2 I've had a toe amputated and it's taken it this long to heal. I have started riding my bike to get fitter and to lose weight.

hi, welcome stokie, great effort with that bike, hope you find some useful info here :)

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)

Sorry you have lost a toe, Stokie. I find I have to take special care of my feet and toe nails, and make sure footwear has enough room where my toes are. I've lost count of the number of shoes and trainers that have gone to charity!

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I was wondering, as the Metformin SR make me feel too sick to eat during the day would it be OK to take them (1g, 2 x 500) at bedtime and hopefully sleep through the nausea, or do I need to space them out? So far I've been taking 1 after breakfast and 1 before bed.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Those figures look like your on the right path. At the beginning if you can be below 7.8 2 hours after a meal or below 6 first thing in a morning before breakfast, you are in good territory.

Even non diabetics spike after a meal. It's a question of how quickly people come back down. Ultimately, your HBA1c is a guide to that.

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
i hear you on the clothes thing im same looking like i took them from a dump they baggy and ill fitting .. and i like you wont buy until im settled . xx

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Those figures look like your on the right path. At the beginning if you can be below 7.8 2 hours after a meal or below 6 first thing in a morning before breakfast, you are in good territory.

Even non diabetics spike after a meal. It's a question of how quickly people come back down. Ultimately, your HBA1c is a guide to that.

Well, the spike I get 1 hr following a meal often returns to the before eating test 1 or 2 hrs after that. I guess it depends on what I eat as I'm still experimenting with carbs. and all food really.

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
i hear you on the clothes thing im same looking like i took them from a dump they baggy and ill fitting .. and i like you wont buy until im settled . xx

Gives us something to look forward to, Cath99 :).

cath99

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
rude d/n nurses and being treated like im wierd because im diabetic
only thing keeps me on the tredmill beshlie xx :)

stokie

Sorry you have lost a toe, Stokie. I find I have to take special care of my feet and toe nails, and make sure footwear has enough room where my toes are. I've lost count of the number of shoes and trainers that have gone to charity!
thank you,yes im having a pair of shoes made at the local hospital but it takes about a year to make them

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
It is good to have your Metformin with food I have mine halfway through my meal so it sort of sandwiches it if you know what I mean Try it and see if you feel better CAROL

Reactions: 2 people

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been doing that Carol and it is much better, thanks.