Stress and raised blood sugar

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Has anyone noticed raised blood sugars when stressed or upset? Been very stressed out recently and I have noticed this - whether its coincidence or not, does anyone feel the same?!

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
Yes Miss, stress will certainly raise blood sugars ! Which then causes stress lol !

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Vicious circle!!! Why can't life be simple eh?!

daniT1D

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi Miss90 I am type1 and stress pushes me up really high! Trying to create a 'new calmer me' since diagnosis!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I find even good stress such as preparing for a visit to my family in Ireland causes my BGs to go up but once I am there they drop lower than usual
CAROL

Robert 2170

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi miss yes stress does get levels up I was doing a mangers cpc course last august and I had trouble keeping my levels down
And was worse when I sat the exam in September just had to take in more insuline and test mire

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Great.... I have 8 exams coming up in uni this term! Lets hope stress won't literally get the better of me lol!

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
Great.... I have 8 exams coming up in uni this term! Lets hope stress won't literally get the better of me lol!

You can overcome the expected highs from stress by bolusing for them, if you know your going to stressed out then you can plan ahead, Gary Schiener talks about this in his book Think Like a Pancreas but your DSN should be able to advise you.

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
You can overcome the expected highs from stress by bolusing for them, if you know your going to stressed out then plan ahead, Gary Schiener talks about this in his book Think Like a Pancreas but your DSN should be able to advise you.

Juicyj

Expert
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Hypos, rude people, ignorance and grey days.
Try meditation, when you start feeling your stress levels rising it helps to know some quick exercises to counter the effects, I have a stressful job and I'm a mum so find doing some deep breathing can help keep me calm, otherwise take some extra quick acting to help bring your levels down.

kkkk

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
You see I am normally a bit low when stressed - maybe a pace more :) and fidget !

inhil1982

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Sometimes its hard and it aint as simple to control when your such and stress head like myself, but you get to gain over that aswell. Keep positive makes a better result :)

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
You can overcome the expected highs from stress by bolusing for them, if you know your going to stressed out then you can plan ahead, Gary Schiener talks about this in his book Think Like a Pancreas but your DSN should be able to advise you.

Good suggestion. Just don't forget to bring some glucose with you as well - you don't want to end up giving too much of a bolus and then having low sugar and no glucose available in an exam!