Don't think I like my pump

Bingaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Has anyone else not liked being on a pump? I've had mice since 25th November and since then I've had my cannula come out twice and bend once instead of piercing in so each time had to get my count back down. I also find it harder to get intimate with my husband and I worry about it constantly! I am a born worrier and my husband was made redundant just before Christmas so we are really quite stressed at the moment and feel this is just something else to worry about. Was just wondering of anyone else's non success stories before I speak to my DSN tomorrow.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Patch13

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I would perhaps give it more time if you think you can put up with it.

Initially I found it very frustrating as I had trouble getting the basal correct which meant a lot of waking up every 2 hours at night - which was not fun!! I also felt a bit funny about having it with me 24/7 and I had trouble loading the cartridge / syringe in the pump at first. However now I wouldn't get rid of it as I find it a lot easier.
The only time I have really hated it was on holiday as it was harder to hide due to less clothing (eg thinner dresses, swimwear etc). So I may consider using pens for my next holiday.

I would talk to your DSN and share your concerns.

You could always try using your pens/syringe for a little while again. I think I read a post by Brett saying he stopped using his pump but then went back to it after a few days.

However the pump isn't for everyone so if you're really unhappy with it then I'm sure your DSN will understand.

Good luck!

pumppimp

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi,
Quite a few people struggle when they start off on a pump getting used to having it attached to you all the time. It really does take time and patience getting used to wearing it 24/7 and especially being intimate with people. As for your set problems how many different types have you tried? In my experience people tend to have more problems with bent cannulas when they use the inserter device. It can take quite a bit of practice and HCPs aren't necessarily the best instructors as they don't wear and use them everyday, unless you're lucky enough to have a diabetic nurse or doctor. Ask your DSN to go over insertion again when you see her but also check out the you tube videos as well. Ask your pump company for different samples of different types of sets and see if there is another that might be better suited to you. As for being pulled out a handy tip is to gather some of the excess tubing and tape it close to where you have your set. If it does get caught on anything the tape will give way first saving your set, That's invaluable with 2 excitable beagles like mine. Also I tend to wear my pump under my clothes so nothing is exposed when out and about.
Lastly stress has a major impact on bg control as can other hormones (it does for me anyways) so try and see the positives to the pump and life in general, I know that's easy to say but it's also a big weight off when you stop worrying about things not in your control and take charge of things that are in your control. Good Luck with everything let us know if there are any specifics about pumping you are finding tricky.
Laura

Reactions: 3 people

Bingaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you very much for your replies. I will speak to my DSN today and go over my cannula insertion. I don't want to give it up so I probably do need to have more patience. X

jopar

Pumppimp has given you a lot of information..

But another reason for the cannula's pulling out, do you use shower gel or a moisturiser as these can effect how well the patches stick, so ensure that the area you're going to use is rinsed really well and dry.

In these 6 years, I've only had 1 bent cannula, but I do self insert and use a angle set, as I;m very slim so don't really have any fat layer to stick it in.. So perhaps a change to to an angle set might resolve this particular issue.

As to pulling sets out, again I've only lost a couple, even though I don't use any safety taping etc, I've had my two dogs (german shepherds) entangled in the tubing, yanked by my grandson etc...

At first yes you are very conscious of wearing the pump, but you do get used to it, and it all becomes automatic, so just give it more time and it should settle down as you build up your confidence using the pump.

Bingaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Thank you very much for all your help. My DSN is ordering me some angled insets as I have had quite a lot of stomach surgery and she feels this May make navigating around the scarring easier. I also got skin wipes to help the area more sticky which I will try on my next inset change. She said after that if I am still not happy we still have more options and to stick with it as the benefits are great so got my positive hat on ready to go! Thanks again x

Reactions: 2 people

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Yep, as patch said did stop briefly, very briefly lol.
At the beginning doing the set changes, getting the right cannula to suit you (ive tried the lot), correct length tubing, air bubble out, very, very frustrating. Used to take me 40 mins, now down to about 2~3 mins, so no problem with that now. that as will as getting ask the settings, basal profiles (weekday, weekend,hols) takes a while but once done brilliant. Then, learning to live with it attached 24/7, I found that a struggle after a long time of getting used to it. In the end went back on pens, but, even found injecting 4~7 times a pita. Just part of me know, great flexibility.with it and better readings. See how u go, if fed up try pens again, bet you will be back pumping soon lol

kcarson

I found the pump very hard to get used to ( and the fact that I had just been diagnosed with type 1) but now I could not do without it.
I hated the fact that it would be attached to me 24\7 and wore a lot of baggy clothes at the start, but realised I had a better life with it so slowly began to not worry about it as much. Now I don't care who sees it. I would say that it works brilliant but when something goes wrong (sickness or settings just need changed) I find it hard to get back on track but would still not give it back.

Omnipod

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I would highly recommend a patch pump. The tubing is a nightmare and when i was on the accu check and medtronic, I did find it a 'passion blocker'. I wonder how many people get a tubed pump on the NHS and then like me stop using it after a short time? im sure if they do a study and get figures, they may realise that the Omnipod is a better option all round.

the_exile

I'm assuming you know you can just unclip the device when you want? I think you're safe for up to an hour, for me personally I've never had an issue with the pump, i'm constantly tweaking the basal from time to time which is the biggest challenge, but apart from that I love my pump!

Redrob

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've had diabetes for 38 years, and started on one injection a day, then two, then four with pens now I'm on my third pump. The tubed pumps were a bit of a passion killer, so I started unclipping them. Now I use an Omnipod and find it brilliant. Your DSN will be a mine of useful information and should be able to help with any problems you face, they have always been my first port of call. I think most pumpers have teething problems,I know I did, but overall it is the best option available.

JustDomUK

Hi.

Did you request a pump? Or was one advised for you? The reason I'm on my pump is because the only way I'd wake up with a normal blood sugar was if I woke at 4 AM to take an extra injection. Now as I'm on a pump I don't need to do this. I loathed it to begin with. Every time I got occlusion I went sky high and it seemed to happen a lot. The key thing for me was to test more and take more time when changing my cannula.

Now I wouldn't know what to do without it. I love the fact I'm not injecting five times a day. That I don't have to get up at 4AM anymore. That the adjustment to be made when being ill is just a few clicks of a button and my levels are easier to control. That I can reduce it for when I'm exercising and that I no longer have to "feed" my insulin. That it works out my insulin needs based on my particular carb ratios that I no longer have to carry around in my head. The only complaint I can make about it is that my wife finds it lumpy when it digs into her if I cuddle her when I'm asleep. Stick with it for a bit. I did want to give mine back at first. It would have to be prised from my cold dead hands before I'd give mine back.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Bingaboo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
I was offered the pump as we are hoping to try for child #2 this year and was told it helps with control and reduces chance of hypos which has always been my worst fear being responsible for a toddler. I had a good long chat with my DSN and have decided to carry on with it as I am seeing the benefits the last couple of weeks with much better BG results. Thanks for all your support. :)

ciaramoh

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I've been on the pump for 7 years now and for the first year and a half I hated it. Every time I changed my set it was wrong and I had so many issues. But with some hard work it does pay off and now I love it and would ever think of going back onto injections.