mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
I'll be celebrating my 31st ! As long as I've got 2 eyes and 2 feet I'm happy ! Well done Auckland Canary !

Reactions: 2 people

anna29

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Cruelty to Animals/Children
Liars/Manipulators/Bullying
I'll be celebrating my 31st ! As long as I've got 2 eyes and 2 feet I'm happy ! Well done Auckland Canary !

Know what you mean mo :)

Auckland Canary - give yourself a huge pat on the back :D
This is very inspiring to hear off :happy:
It isnt easy some days - but you have achieved the time miles and WILL
inspire anyone who may be feeling daunted or afraid .

Hope you are feeling quite proud and chuffed too .
So you should be ;)

Auckland Canary

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks everyone. I still have all my bits and pieces hanging on and long may it continue. You know what as well? Sometimes we don't give ourselves enough credit for the hard road that we have to travel. I, like many others I'm sure, am very hard on myself when things go wrong but as Anna29 says we should be proud. Maybe we should all give ourselves a big round of applause

Reactions: 4 people

mo1905

BANNED
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Rude people !
There you Go ! Celebrating now ( a little bit ) !

clucker34

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Rudeness
Totally agree with above! I'm 33 yrs in this yr, diagnosed at 18 months old, things only slightly dipped after having my son but on pump now and touch wood getting there! Congrats to each and everyone of us for the journey we take

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dodo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
48 yrs this year. I gather I get a medal if I make it to 50 yrs! Won't I look grand!!

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm 50 years on insulin, next November. So many changes over the years and living with it hasn't always been easy. No complications (yet!) but doctors seem to think it's because my mother, grandmother and great-grandmother were all type1's too. Don't quite understand what difference that makes but happy that, so far I'm still here! I smile when I think back to the Sunday lunchtime treat - a wee Walls ice-cream slab which cost sixpence. I always wanted to eat it with the wafers it came with but wasn't allowed to because the diet sheet said 'ice cream only'. So, my congratulations to all on this thread and Dodo, I hope I look grand with that medal too. We have bl**dy well earned it. ;)

Bill

Reactions: 2 people

iHs

I too can remeber the Walls Sunday treat and like yrself couldnt eat the wafers. Fond memories of my made to last Rocket Rand Everett syringe and Allen & Hanburys Lente with Clinitest tabs and test dropper and 2% orange ooops lol

JustDomUK

I too can remeber the Walls Sunday treat and like yrself couldnt eat the wafers. Fond memories of my made to last Rocket Rand Everett syringe and Allen & Hanburys Lente with Clinitest tabs and test dropper and 2% orange ooops lol

I remember it being 5% at one time. Then later on it changed to 2. Am I alone in remembering this? I was only a boy of seven at the time. I used to love making them fizz. I remember my mum boiling my syringes in a saucepan lol. I had a blue case that everything fitted in nicely. I still have the needles to this day albeit they are very blunt but luckily I don't use them anymore.

Congrats on 31.

Dom

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Last edited by a moderator:

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
this looks familiar :eek:

Attachments

• Clinitest instructions-b.jpg
    Clinitest instructions-b.jpg
    152.8 KB · Views: 233

iHs

My mum boiled my one up once per week, then put it in a tupperware container with some industrial methylated spirit and I just got it out everyday, washed it in a bowl filled with boiling water and then filled it with the Lente insulin and did the jab in my leg. Dont think I ever went above dark orange with the Clinitest.. most of the time I was blue in the morning, then green and sometimes yellow. Was only orange at bedtime

rochari

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Thanks folks, great memories. I too remember the wee trays of stainless steel needles handed over with the warning that each should last around 10 days or so. Yup and the Everett glass syringes. Do you remember there were two different types of syringe nozzles in those days? I think one was Record and the other Luer. My mother’s was the former and I'd the Luer syringe which had a slightly wider nozzle. There was also the instrument of torture, the Palmer Injector Gun. My much older brother bought me one as a Christmas present and it scared the heck out of me. I was never able to pull that trigger.

Some other things I remember from all those years ago.. the diabetic custard creams and the wee round diabetic fruit cake sealed inside a tin. My favourite though was the dark diabetic chocolate bars made by Cadbury. Much more bitter than Bournville but I loved them.

Bill