Ketoacidosis

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I had a horrible episode of DKA start on Sunday which landed me in hospital for two night :(

It all started in the early hours of Sunday morning - I had been out for a few drinks for a friends birthday but drank my usual amount, stuck to the same drink with a diet mixer, checking sugars etc (joys of a diabetic night out!) when i had returned home I was sick once and went to bed, put it down to the alcohol but it was unusual as I am rarely sick after drinking! I woke up and felt a bit queasy, checked my bloods and they were ok, around 8 but a few hours later I was sick again. I didn't eat the whole day and just injected a couple of units of insulin to keep my sugars stable but it had got to about 10pm, I still hadn't eaten a thing and was throwing up every 5 minutes without fail. I then developed a temperature and my blood sugars reached 27 (yikes) so luckily my mum called an ambulance and they rushed me to A and E where I was given treatment for DKA.
This was the first time in my diabetic life this had happened (type 1 for 11 years) and although I have fully recovered its something I never wish to experience again!!

Anyone else had a similiar story?

Miklo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I worked with a girl who was always in hospital with her diabetes during a night out due to lack of prep of what the night might bring. I always start with my normal tea and a full pint of milk before commencing at 7pm sharp especting a 2am finish during this time I may down around 15 bottles of strong lager. Many a time I become hypo mid evening to counter this I order a glass of orange with my lager also. I only carry glucose tabs and all money is spent on beer hence the 3 mile walk home and some night I have been low on carbs. I test when I get home and sometime like you if I have got things wrong or ill it maybe a test of 20+ but I inject fast acting as well as my nightime when I get home the walkorrun home usually works of any excess carbs. it is normal to feel ill with these high readings. I make a point of not testing on nights out as years ago I learnt reeadings are distorted and can drop very fast when alcohol is involved. In summary nights out with drink are trickly at the best of times but with care can easily be managed so you fit in with the crowd its all experience get to know your drinks and carb values.

Good Luck Next time you go out

cferry88

Yeah simklar story but it was complete opposite with sugar levels. Was boozing with mates. Went to bed and work up outside with an ambulance on scene...blood sugar was 0.9. Scaryiest thing thats ever happened me.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Yeah simklar story but it was complete opposite with sugar levels. Was boozing with mates. Went to bed and work up outside with an ambulance on scene...blood sugar was 0.9. Scaryiest thing thats ever happened me.

I've had that too...but luckily not while drinking!
I've decided to cut out ALL alcohol for 3 months and see how it goes!

este

I had a very similar experience to yours, I went for a night out and ate and drank sensibly, I was only tipsy and actually only drunk water once we got to the club as it was cheaper! Once I got home I was fine, but when I woke up in the morning I was feeling very sick and by 11 or 12 I was being sick constantly. I had a nap and felt better for a while and my blood sugars were normal, however by the evening I was vomiting every few minutes and was hallucinating and nearly unconscious. I ended up in recus and in hospital for two nights, I was very upset as it seems like such a kick in the teeth when you look after yourself well but I have learned from the experience. Glad you're feeling better :)

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
I'm glad someone can relate to me! (Well not glad you were ill but you know lol!)
I do not know ANYONE who is diabetic and I had friends and people I know asking me "oh are you sure you wernt ill with a really bad hangover?" and "why did your mum call an ambulance?!"
It's hard sometimes trying to do 'normal' things and being diabetic too and i'm glad I can talk to people here who understand!

jaade88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A lot of people don't know that alcohol can lower blood sugar levels even though there is sugar in it. I had my first experience of DKA when I was 12 but not for drink related reasons. I have been in and out with DKA in my teenage years several times but now aged 22 I have been teetotal for 2 and a half years and haven't been in since x

Cleggsta

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes.
Ok Im new whats DKA ?
Can anyone tell me whats the best way to handle alcohol , if I go out the most I would drink would be 3 pints and a short or 2 ?