Tbird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anyone harming animals
Hi All

I have just taken my first metformin tablet :-( Is there anything i should look out for please , I am off work tommorrow , just incase of any nasty side effects.

Thanks for all your support already.

Theresa

Montana

Dislikes
Anyone moody negative or judgemental
Hi Tbird welcome you our word lol I began metformin a year ago and found it is not as scary as i thought I was in hospital at the time and had access to the diabetic team who were wonderful. The best advice they gave me was to always take the tablet in between each mouthful of food. Since then I've never had any problems whereas I've heard of many people who are experiencing feeling ill after taking it. Other than that I wish you all the best and good luck.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Madbazoo

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Hi All

I have just taken my first metformin tablet :-( Is there anything i should look out for please , I am off work tommorrow , just incase of any nasty side effects.

Thanks for all your support already.

Theresa
For many people there are no significant side effects so hope you are one of them. Some people feel a little light headed but this usually passes in a few days. Some people have stomach problems resulting in an urgent need to go to the toilet. Again this usually passes after a short while. If it persists then ask your GP if he can prescribe the slow release version of Metformin which can resolve the problem.

Keep reading the forum and asking questions. Good Luck

lorac2608

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Politicians
Hi, I started Metformin just before Xmas and am now up to 3 a day, the only side affect has been a funny taste in my mouth which comes and goes but it's getting better. Hope yours goes well, good luck.

Father Jack

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have been taking Metformin since July (2x500mg daily). At first I experienced light-headedness and occasional bouts of stomach cramps and diarrohea. Curiously I am now left with mild constipation. I think that the Metformin has assisted me with weight loss.

Jack

Sunhat

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
I started Metformin a year ago now, apart from severe windy stomach that sounded like a blocked drain for a week or so no other problems!!

Toriana

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Rude people, Liars, And people who think diabetes type 2 is not serious and that it's because we eat cake and chips !
Hi Tbird, one thing I have found is that if I don't eat a meal but just have my metformin with a snack I get a bit constipated, and if I eat a huge meal it upsets my tummy within two hours, so regular meals and smaller portions and you should be absolutely fine, it's a good drug that works well, Good Luck xx

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Stacey H

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
I started glucophage a month ago. I found that it helps if I take it with a meal. I eat 1/2 of my meal take glucophage and eat the rest. I take it with gas x (simethicone I would just double check with your doctor) and that helped for gas.

HazelD

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hot weather
I started with Metformin last April, am a lucky one, had NO ill effects whatsoever.

Osidge

Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Bullies.
My experience of metformin since 1998 has always been good.

Regards

Doug

Tbird

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Anyone harming animals
Thank you all been on it nearly 10 days mows and apart from a bad tummy all is ok, thank u all for your support x

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I've been on Metformin for about 10 years now. I remember the first weeks feeling nauseous but it passed. That first year I would sometimes have an urgent need to go to the loo and was caught out a couple of times at other peoples houses or perhaps at the hairdressers! Overall my constitution is strong though and there has been no need to take it in between mouthfuls of food or indeed any food at all sometimes. I take 2x 500g twice a day.
I have to say that the positive thing is I never need to take laxatives. Lol. Steph

tasha232

i think ive been one of the unlucky ones, i take 2000mg of metformin and its been horrid, vomiting, diarrhea,stomatch bloating and cramps, also on tablets to control the diarrhea as i wouldn't be able to leave the house for very long. With that been said i have lost 9lbs

Beshlie

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I am like you, Tasha, and it can more or less make you housebound! Although my BS levels are coming down and I'm losing weight I do find Metformin a difficult drug to take. I couldn't tolerate the ordinary type and was given the slow release. For about 10 days I took 1 x 500 at night and wasn't too bad, but since increasing to 2 a day my stomach is awful. I felt quite ill this morning so am trying just the 1 tablet at night for a few days and see how I go. I find eating or preparing food difficult when feeling so sick and being afraid to leave the house, well, it's no life really. I was put straight onto Metformin with no suggestion of trying diet and exercise first, and as my BS wasn't through the roof I believe it was wrong not to give me a chance.

mrs gimli

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Racists or hatred. Disrespect for people.
I've not had major probs but yesterday as I had increased the dosage I had upset tum but other than that ..good luck