Insulin pump? Anyone shed some light

jaade88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi was just looking at some posts about insulin pumps? Is it only certain types of diabetics that can get it? I'm on insulin 5 times a day already aged 22 and have had diabetes for 15 years? Can anyone shed some light?

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Many factors see considered prior ti a dsn/consultant issuing a pump. Frequent hypos,morning highs, exercise problems, etc
Also, usually need to do a dafne course prior.
If you think u would like one, spe as k to your dsn/consultant.

Reactions: 2 people

jaade88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
What is a dafne course? After all I haven't really looked into it all that much. Does it reduce the number of times you need to take insulin?

mrman

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
What is a dafne course? After all I haven't really looked into it all that much. Does it reduce the number of times you need to take insulin?

Dose adjusting for normal eating. Basically a course to learn how to carb count, adjust for excercise,illness, get basal correct through testing. Same amount of injections.
Even.people who are used to.the above need to officially attend this before qualifying for a pump. Not always but most of time

Reactions: 2 people

jaade88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
A dnt really think I would benefit from it my average blood sugar is sitting at 8.9 and on 5 injections a day but it's good to know the option is there

Thanks for replying :)