Hypo's

musiclover58

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have had hypo's before but in comparison I guess they have been mild in that I recovered quite quickly but I had one earlier which was caused ( stupidly I know) because I forgot to eat lunch this isn't something I normally do I do usually eat regularly but nevertheless I had a hypo at 6.20pm this evening whilst cooking dinner I had 2 lucazade sweets and a biscuit followed by my dinner I delayed taking my meds till levels were raised but I still feel shaky and not quite right if this makes sense so I am asking is this normal? Can the affects of a hypo last this long I took bs 20 mins ago and it was 10.2

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey!

I'm new to all of this (6 weeks), but I've had a lot of hypos so far. I'm type 1, & I went through the honeymoon period a couple of weeks ago & I'm now having what my dsn described as a "mini" honeymoon period!.

Hypos that I have had (that were between 3 & 1.8) have felt like I have the worlds worst hangover afterwards & it'll last the rest of the day! All I want to do is sleep & the glucose that I consumed to treat my hypo usually makes me feel sick also.

I'm not sure if it is normal, because I've always felt like that after a hypo but it tends to ease off.

What I do is continue to monitor my bg and as long is it is in a safe range, I feel happy to handle the "hypo hangover" as I like to call it lol!

Take care!

abs

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
It's normal to take a while to recover from a hypo however it's important to stick to your routine with insulin. If I have had a few bad hypos in a day it can take me a week to fully recover.

h5eks62

Hi all,new to forum,I am T1 have been for 9 years,just had heart bye pass,readings now all over,had first bad hypo last night , reading 2.1 , took wife some time to get it back upto 6, but hour later back down to 2.5, now reading 12.8,just can not get good reading,any advice please

Lucie75

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
How are you treating the hypo? Are you having a longer acting snack as well as lucozade/something sugary? If you only have the quick acting sugary food/drink your blood sugar will rise but will quickly fall again. You also need to eat a biscuit/banana or have some milk to maintain stable glucose levels and keep testing. Try not to correct any subsequent high readings - these are largely caused by your liver dumping glucose into your blood to correct the low blood sugar which is quickly absorbed again. If you correct you may well end up going hypo again. Hope this helps.