Touring Australia for 12 months

JWomo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi all, I'm going touring around Australia for 12 months in July can anyone recommend how I go on regarding obtaining Insulin etc

JWomo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Many thanks I'm doing that and also seeking experiences .....

bluntneedle

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Hi ,
done that.

I took all my Insulin with me and of course a letter from my Doctor just in case it all got stolen. If your Touring ? and that means in a car, you will need one of those Car fridges. The Insulin must be kept cool. You will also need a Coolpack Wallet for your daily use. It can reach up to 48°c and thats in the shade. I cooked my breakfast eggs on a stone while I was there. Also you will need a spare Test machine, they can play up when it's hot. The test strips have to be really sealed. I was suddenly getting Low readings in Queensland where it is very humid. I ate three Mars bars after each other and I was still Low. Yes something was wrong. I went into a chemist and they kindly tested my bood. The only time I was that High was when I was diagnosed. Anyway it was the test strips. It was expensive to pay the whole price for new strips. So beware! Hope that helps a bit if you need more info just ask.

JWomo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi ,
done that.

I took all my Insulin with me and of course a letter from my Doctor just in case it all got stolen. If your Touring ? and that means in a car, you will need one of those Car fridges. The Insulin must be kept cool. You will also need a Coolpack Wallet for your daily use. It can reach up to 48°c and thats in the shade. I cooked my breakfast eggs on a stone while I was there. Also you will need a spare Test machine, they can play up when it's hot. The test strips have to be really sealed. I was suddenly getting Low readings in Queensland where it is very humid. I ate three Mars bars after each other and I was still Low. Yes something was wrong. I went into a chemist and they kindly tested my bood. The only time I was that High was when I was diagnosed. Anyway it was the test strips. It was expensive to pay the whole price for new strips. So beware! Hope that helps a bit if you need more info just ask.
Many thanks some great suggestions

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello guys.. can you share your experience while exploring Australia for 1 year here?

Would love to know any experience related to type 1 diabetes in Australia

Thanks

EllieM

Staff Member
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
forum bugs
If you're from the UK you should be able to get a medicare card, which covers you for essential medical care and prescription medicines. You'll need to pay a small fee to get a prescription filled and may also need to pay a fee to the GP (some "bulk bill" and don't charge patients, others in busy areas charge a top up fee for their services). If you're eligible to join NDSS (not 100% sure about this) then you can get highly subsidised testing strips, needles, etc.

https://www.humanservices.gov.au/individuals/enablers/rhca-medical-care-visitors-australia

https://www.ndss.com.au/