Margarine on the way out?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
When I was a child and butter came off rationing, a favourite sandwich, but not allowed in our house, was bread, thickly spread with butter and sprinkled with sugar! :)

Earliest memory, was my grandma feeding me butter and sugar mixed in my pram!

Reactions: 4 people

paul-1976

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Dishonesty
If I wanted to be confrontational, I'd point out the latest
ADA study
http://care.diabetesjournals.org/content/36/Supplement_1/S11.full.pdf

states

"Saturated fat intake should be ,<7% of
total calories."

page S22

but I don't tonight, so I won't.

Obviously your definition of confrontational is different to mine-i was merely asking a question,anyway,I have only anecdotal evidence of the benefits of what a low carb high fat diet has done for me-before knocking it-have you tried it for 3 months solid to see what results you achieve with your weight,BG numbers and lipids?

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
douglas if someone said it got dark at night you would give them an argument.

FB

You'd probably be in the artic circle in summer, showing me a picture of antarctica to prove it should be true there as well.

fatbird

"'Ere we go again !!!!! This sort of stuff really does kill a thread !"

Too right Mo. I was reporting how butter sales are on the up and how Unilever was putting butter in marg and we are told sugar is being put into the likes of quality butter. Complete tosh as far as the UK and Kerrygold etc is concerned.

FB

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Obviously your definition of confrontational is different to mine-i was merely asking a question,anyway,I have only anecdotal evidence of the benefits of what a low carb high fat diet has done for me-before knocking it-have you tried it for 3 months solid to see what results you achieve with your weight,BG numbers and lipids?

No, I've decided, based on reading as many studies as I can, and the recent ADA report I'm liked to seems to agree, not to go for high saturated fats.
Low fat works for me, the carbs I eat work for me, my bloods seem reasonable, so I don't particularly want to increase saturated fats.
As the ADA advise, up to 7%, may be when I want to maintain weight, and like yourself, in combination with unsaturated fats, but always with at least 130g of carbs in my diet, if not more, but again, good carbs.

Still thought it was funny adding sugar to butter though, and only that.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
"'Ere we go again !!!!! This sort of stuff really does kill a thread !"

Too right Mo. I was reporting how butter sales are on the up and how Unilever was putting butter in marg and we are told sugar is being put into the likes of quality butter. Complete tosh as far as the UK and Kerrygold etc is concerned.

FB

Get a sense of humour!
And stop being so precious about low carb high fat.

fatbird

"Get a sense of humour!" diabetes seems to be some sort of joke to you-not for me.But hey-we are all different eh.

FB

A

AnnieC

I was a WW2 child living in London so remember real margarine which was still available long after the war was over.With only two ration books my mother and I had really small rations so our butter allowance was only about 1/4lb a week and we only had that on Sundays on bread and jam the rest of the week we ate and cooked with margarine.The margarine of those days was nothing like the spreads we get today it was a very hard bright yellow block not a particulary nice taste but people got used to it and we still used it for a long time after the war was over as butter was still somewhat expensive for ordinary families. The spreads of today can't really be compared to the old margarine. I use olive spreads but I do however have butter on my veggies add it to scrambled egg and cook omlettes in it.

Reactions: 2 people

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Sugar butties ! I had forgotten about them they were a sweet treat when there were no sweets as sweets were one of the last things to come off rationing .We used to suck them so that the sugar melted in the butter it sounds vile now but times have changed !!!
CAROL

lessci

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I don't like butter spread on anything:( although I do use it for baking

Giverny

Admin
Administrator
Type of diabetes
Friend
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes
Dislikes
Dishonest people, pessimism, spiders, mushrooms.
Ewwww sugar sandwiches :depressed: another not so great concoction from the days of yore!

C

catherinecherub

Ewwww sugar sandwiches :depressed: another not so great concoction from the days of yore!

War time rations were very small.
I know from relatives that pepper sandwiches, sauce sandwiches and sugar sandwiches were the norm and if you had jam then you did not have butter on the sandwich.
I think you had to be inventive with what you had.