Exercise - supplements/diet

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Hi all

I am a type two and I am 6ft and 82 kilos and quite fit I have never really been over weight last Hba1c 6.9 after 5 years currently taking 4 metformin a day.

I am thinking of upping my exercise and have seen a lot re having the right diet and also re taking supplements (shakes and the like). What do people think re the supplements or should I just use "normal" food? I would like to build up but am not into being one of those goliaths types eg I prefer to be toned/muscular to help my condition.

By the way since swapping from a very stressfull job to one which is far less stressfull I dropped my sugars from a spike of 7.5 to its current state so I guess that is an indication of what to avoid if possible.

WaG

Reactions: 2 people

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I'm a bit sceptical about shakes unless you do really vigorous exercise. I often see people making up shakes in the gym and I wonder how much of it is marketing over substance? I would go for a 'normal' diet assuming it contains a mix of proteins, fat and enough carbs. You might want to take some carbs just before the exercise such as a banana or whatever?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
hi, ive never had shakes, so speaking from a position of no experience but i dont see the need for them, with a healthy diet i think you body gets everything it needs and believe it is indeed just marketing, i dont think you need to eat carbs either but lets not go there :) best of luck

Thommothebear

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
The only reason I use them is that I actually find it too hard to eat enough protein to hit both my target calories and the target protein percentage. i just can't bring myself to eat what feels like half a turkey every day :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

WaG

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Many thanks to every one I think that I will try the food route its just that a lot of the trainers at my gym seems to be walking around with these protein shake, mind you I do belivev that many of them have large quantities of sugar in them so those are a definite no no for me.

Looking forward to the nicer weather when I can do more cycling to and from work so that should help all round (yes I am a fair weather cyclist) right I am off to buy shares in a turkey farm!

Reactions: 2 people