Walking

broads

I know that everyone is recommended to walk 10,000 steps a day if possible. I am 62 and wondered if this amount of steps is still advisable for someone my age. Ok, if I can achieve this then brilliant. Does anyone know of a steps number that it will be good for me to achieve every day therefore giving me some incentive No way can I do 10,000 every day. I am quite fit and can walk quickly. Sorry that was rather garbled.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Get yourself a pedometer ,Broads,you'll be surprised just how many steps you do anyway in the course of a day.Then you can always increase your 'milage' as you feel.

broads

That's the other problem. I would not have time to do 7 mile as I still work.
Any idea how I can get more exercise? I park at the other end of car parks, I run up the stairs, often 5 or 6 times without stopping at home, which I pride myself on as my two best friends who are roughly the same age as me just amble up. When I do go for a walk I really go at a good speed and keep it up till I get home. I usually have to go walking by myself as my friends couldn't keep up with me. I stick my ipod in my ears, my phone and a couple of pounds just in case, in my pocket and off I happily go. Sometimes I drag my husband with me. That's quite a hard walk as I really have to work to keep up with him. He reckons that he's not walking quickly BUT I argue that his legs are a lot longer than mine.
I must admit I do like my step meter as it gives me some concrete figure to work towards which is why I was wondering if there was a suggested no of steps for a 62 year old.
Ther are two things that I do not want to do. 1- Get a dog to take walking with me as we go away too much and 2- attend a gym. I have hated the thought of them since I was a little girl.

broads

sugarless sue said:
Get yourself a pedometer ,Broads,you'll be surprised just how many steps you do anyway in the course of a day.Then you can always increase your 'milage' as you feel.
I have one which is why I wondered about suggested number of steps for a 62 year old. Yesterday was brilliant I actually did 14,500. I work in a school in the mornings I walked the kids, to the swimming pool, meter read 6,500 when I returned to school. Then I took myself for a walk in the afternoon.

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
How many steps do you do in a day just working? I work nights and on an average night can clock up about 6 miles just working!!

broads

Not sure of distance in miles but I think unless I do anything extra my daily steps are about 4,500 - 5,000. I need to put my step length into my pedometer

Trinkwasser

broads said:
sugarless sue said:
I have one which is why I wondered about suggested number of steps for a 62 year old. Yesterday was brilliant I actually did 14,500. I work in a school in the mornings I walked the kids, to the swimming pool, meter read 6,500 when I returned to school. Then I took myself for a walk in the afternoon.

Soon adds up doesn't it?

When mother was 60 she started walking three miles a day. Now she's 93 and we don't know where the hell she is (old joke)

she only began to slow down once she reached 90 so you've got a way to go yet

hanadr

Expert
Dislikes
soaps on telly and people talking about the characters as if they were real.
H Broads
I shall be 62 in 2 weeks time and I walk. I try for 10,000 per day and get there most days, my best is 28,000 in a day. I walk in groups and use walking as my main means of getting around. That and the bus. :lol: From next week I shall be looking after my grandaughter on Wednesdays and am looking forward to walking with the pram. I have it planned. We'll go to a local cafe, about a mile away and share a cappuccino. I get the coffee and Amelie will get the foam and the chocolate sprinkle. I also do water aerobics, which is huge fun. I go in a group of oldies, so don't mind being seen in my cossie. There's a lot going on in Reading for over 50s. During the day, the sports centre has only oldies and young mums with pre- schoolers.
I am now slimmer and fitter than I was at 40. I can walk up Streatley hill, which is STEEEP!

broads

Another 30 years of walking, Phew!!
I have just got back from a walk and saw my neighbour as I got home. He commented how healthy I looked. I've had three people this week asking if I had lost weight. I hope the compliments keep coming. They sure do make me feel good.

sixfoot

OI Come on you lot !!!!!!1

All you healthy types are giving Diabetics a bad name - have a heart :D

Taking it in my stride
Dave P

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Think of it this way,Dave,at sixfoot the length of your stride must be twice mine so you would need half the amount of steps.

broads

Sorry Sixfoot but as newly diagnosed last September and yet to see the dietician, have my eyes screened etc. it was so good to hear these comments. I've been battling away by myself with a few cookbooks, the tremendous wealth of info on this site, lots of walking and loads of determination. Best wishes to you.

sixfoot

Sorry sue forgot abooooot the wee scots lassies, the bonnie wee things och aye :D

Im off to joing wieght watchers, whats the point of being diabetic and healthy it aint natural i tell you !!!

Anyone know any Unfitness Classes???

Dave P

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
sixfoot said:
:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: OUCH !!!

I was including myself in that one as well!! :lol: :lol:

gillyh

Dislikes
arrogant drivers/people, ill mannered people, cruelty to people and animals, condescention
Me too Sue. I sit in front of a computer 7 1/2 hours a day and 5 or 6 days a week. Besides a numb bum the weight settles down around the numb area and stomach. Boredom sets in and i get the munchies. Doesn't help working in such a huge office as there's always somebody bringing something 'naughty but nice' in. Then there's the bacon sarnies at the local cafe 2 minutes walk away!!! :(

Trinkwasser

Yes I've also been doing too much on the computers and printers and not enough in the outside world. I'm having a Testing Day today and so far all my numbers have been about 0.5 above "normal" :(

I thought I might have made up for it with a high speed dash down and around town yesterday but it obviously wasn't enough yet. Looking forward to the longer warmer brighter days to kickstart me.