Need a questions answered

yvonne1310

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
High blood suger
Hi I'm type 1 diabetic before I go to bed I inject my back ground insuline I test and I'm reading 7.5 !! But when I get up in the morning I'm reading 11.2 ..... I havnt eaten or drank y does it raise like this ????

Miss90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Diabetes
Mine does that sometimes... last night I went to bed with a reading of 9 and woke up with 17!!!!! I wish I knew why also as it's starting to worry me

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
its called a liver dump, our liver produces glucose over night because we dont eat, it decides we will need some glucose for when we wake, its perfectly normal

Louwalker71

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Also, it depends what has been eaten during the day, if you have had a lot of slow releasing carbs it could just be the ongoing effect from these!

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Or it could be dawn phenomenon. Or your basal not being right (night hypos?) you might not even be aware your having a hypo. Have you done basal testing?

Reactions: 2 people

inhil1982

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Half of the time it is down to too much background insulin. Try test you sugar level at 1am and then at 4am, if this is the case your sugar levels are dropping at bedtime you need to lower your background insulin. Hope this helps :)

leahkian

You should contact your local clinic and see what they think. It is very hard to control depending on how many injections you have. At the minute am on a insulin pump and that means a constant flow of insulin. If you keep having hi BM on a morning over a period of time they may alter your insulin dose. Good luck