DAFNE Course

Jubblyjo1601

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hello all :)

I may be attending the DAFNE course in a weeks time as a place has become available and wondered if anyone has had experience of this and also experience of asking employers for time off? Where do we stand with regards to having to take the week as holiday etc?

Any advice greatly appreciated! Thanks! :) xxx

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

inhil1982

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi jubbly

Going to the dafne course is a good I idea, I went in september and I learned so much on full control of my diabetes its unreal. Problem with work was I had to use a full week holiday due to needing the money. I had the letter from the course and showed the big boss man at work used it as proof really.
Hope it goes well for you.

Ian :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Daibell

Master
Type of diabetes
LADA
Treatment type
Insulin
Hi. I've seen both good and bad reports about DAFNE. The main negative one I saw recently was the course ignoring the effect of carbs on blood sugar and suggesting matching insulin to any amount of carbs rather than controlling carbs and then matching the insulin. Hopefully you will be aware of these things from the forum and take the good on the course and ignore any bad. I hope you have a considerate employer

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people
If you type 'DAFNE' in the forum search facility you'll find 100's of posts from members who are DAFNE graduates, I did it 4 years ago and like most people found it extremely helpful.

As for time-off, you can ask the DAFNE team for a letter to give to your employer which explains why you need the time off and a brief summary of the benefits of the course, your employer can refuse the time off and doesn't necessarily have have to pay you, if they agree, some people are lucky and get the time off without taking holidays and others not so lucky.

Hope you enjoy the course!