First HBA1C since diagnosis....

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
6.8% down from 10.8%....said if i was under 7.0 she'd let me remain off meds :D

Blood sugar was 6.2 fasting which is high side of normal but a major improvement on the 15.1 i got last time out :shock:

Cholesterol was 4 which doc said was high?? perhaps she meant good cholesterol was low?

Biggest change was in triglycerides though which have consistently been 6+ for about 5 years now....1.87, which pleased me most for some reason.

Now to the question...a few weeks ago a battered pork fillet supper out the chinese was giving me a 10+ 2 hour post-prandial, this past friday got a 4.9....checked it straight way coz i thought it must be wrong and got a 5.1....is this a consequence of overall blood sugars lowering?

saz1

congrats on the results! I wish I can do something similar on my next results too! Sounds like your diet changes have worked wonders and insulin resistance has reduced and your insulin levels are probably much steadier too. Have you reduced your carbs? What else have you changed? Obviously its working nonetheless! :D

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Thanks, but am hoping they will be lower again at next test :)

Perhaps the biggest change has been stopping drinking two [and sometimes four] bottles of a fortified tonic wine at the weekends...replaced it with guinness & vodka/water, and stopping eating sweets/chocolate during the day.

I am certainly more aware of carbohydrate contents and have also cut back big time on bread and milk intake.

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
congratulations on the hba1c love that's BRILL!

as to the battered burger, did you still test at 2 hours or when you say straight away, do you mean literally after you ate it? if that was the case (immediately after eating) then it's because it didn't get into your system yet. if it was at your usual post prandial (1 or 2 hours, whicever you test at) then it might be because the carbs were acting slowly, OR you'd begun the meal with lower sugars OR you'd run a half marathon OR you'd downed 14 vodkas ... you see where I'm going with this? lol ... there's a number of reasons you may have had a different result and if it was because in general your blood sugar is lower to begin with - then *yay*!

all the best, J/x

Dennis

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Non-insulin injectable medication (incretin mimetics)
Dislikes
People who join web forums to be agressive and cause trouble
Hi Hooly,
That's a great result, but you might want to re-think your drinking some more. Certainly tonic wine is an absolute no-no for any diabetic because it has an extremely high sugar content, but Guiness is not far behind! A pint of Guiness has 33g carbs. If you are on a reduced carb diet of say 100g carbs per day, then that pint of Guiness is a third of your daily allowance. The vodka or any other spirit won't spike your sugars as long as any mixers are the diet sort.

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Hi Jem and thanks. My readings are all 2 hour post and generally i am less than 5.0 prior to evening meal.

Whatabout those triglycerides though :)

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Thanks Dennis. I havent really went low-carb just tried to cut back on them a bit.

Given the fact that theres no history of diabetes in my family and that my lifestyle/diet was abysmal prior to diagnosis, then if i maintain the changes i've made this past three months I should hopefully see readings continue to drop? I know the guinness is carby, but touch wood it doesn't seem to be adversely affecting my readings. The tonic wine is definitely kicked into touch :)

Jem

Dislikes
People that feel just because diabates is a life-threatening "illness" it should be treated with kid gloves and nobody is allowed to have a laugh. My humour got me through abuse, near death experiences, serious and debilitating illnesses and lifelong pain and deformity - why give up the thing that works??
hmmm interesting :) - maybe you were more active and had lower preprandial readings and had a vodka and the fat helped the carbs digest more slowly - and perhaps it all added up! who knows, it might be worth checking at 2 and 4 hours pp next time to see if you continue to rise?

as to trigs - sorry beyond my area of experience I'm afraid ... trink knows stuff about that! me? no, me sorry!

xxx

totsy

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
liars, animal cruelty
well done and keep up the good work :D :D

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad
Thanks all, but I feel a bit of a fraud because most of you have a condition about which you can do little, whilst my problems basically arose out of self-abuse. Something these test results have proven without a doubt. Hopefully it was the kick up the ass I badly needed :)

Trinkwasser

hoolyuk said:
Thanks all, but I feel a bit of a fraud because most of you have a condition about which you can do little, whilst my problems basically arose out of self-abuse. Something these test results have proven without a doubt. Hopefully it was the kick up the ass I badly needed :)

It's more complicated than that, many people "abuse themselves" much worse without ever developing diabetes.

Whatever, stupendous results so far! Changes of this magnitude are not supposed to happen according to The Authorities but are not uncommon.

Now try doing some 1 hour postprandial tests (or whenever your BG peaks after eating), see if you can't bring your numbers down even more by the next tests.

I suspect you've hammered your insulin resistance into touch and the trigs would indicate this. What's your HDL?

hoolyuk

Dislikes
Salad

To be honest i was too gobsmacked when the doc gave me the results to get many details over the phone, will try to ring the nurse tomorrow see if she can give me a more detailed cholesterol breakdown.

The doc was actually in the process of warning me about my high 6.8% till i pointed out my previous had been 10.8....had obviously read my notes [not] :?

Trinkwasser

hoolyuk said:
The doc was actually in the process of warning me about my high 6.8% till i pointed out my previous had been 10.8....had obviously read my notes [not] :?

Due to the unexpectedly high demand we need to pre-order your chair in the 5% Club. When do you want it delivered? <G>

Jem

Dislikes
oi!

where's my chair?!?!

ok I'm at 6 at the mo *sniff* but it WAS 5.6 last time!

Jem

Dislikes
you cheeky blighter!

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
I wish i could say the same for my figures!! I was 9.8 in november when i was first diagnosed and i have cut down on the obvious carbs, still eat a little bread, about 2 slices a day. My BG levels are getting better starting to get 4's and 5's on post prandials but fastings are 7's and 8's. still occasional spike if i eat something that perhaps i shouldn't. My hba1c taken on 28/01 came back as 8.8 and GP rang me up and said i should start to take 5 Metformin instead of three as he wants to see my BG down a lot more, i see him in two weeks to discuss this further. I am still fiddling around with foods as when cut out carbs completely i am still hungry within short time so eat more and apparently the practice nurse says that portions are the problem. i don't exercise apart from walking the dog and from the car park when i get to work and my weight isn't too bad, 6 foot and 14 stone, although GP says that needs to come down after BG levels sorted out. I do all the cooking, etc as wife not well so that is why i don't have time to exercise as much as i should. question is where do i go from here? GP wants me to have a nother test done in 3/4 weeks time to see if BG comes down any further , so do i make more effort diet wise or try to exercise more somehow. any ideas, any body?

sugarless sue

Master
Dislikes
Rude people! Not being able to do the things I want to do.
Looks like you may have to further refine diet,I had the same problem to start with and have cut down on carbs even more.However i very rarely feel hungry so you may need to keep a food diary and see what exactly you are eating.Do you have a carb counter book so that you can check what you are putting in your meals?

Manogwent

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
carling lager
Hi, Sugarless, no carb counter yet, i keep food diary and write it all in but nothing about weights , carbs, protein etc. i test more on weekends as have the time and the place to do it , weekdays test about 4 times a day more when i have time off.Think i need to get one of those scales you can put a plate on and weigh out your food as can quite easily eat 1.5 lbs at a sitting. i can't eat small and regular meals every few hours. i have breakfast 05.30 am which is 2 boiled eggs and slice wholegrain toast. lunch at 13.00 which banana, few grapes and 5 slices cooked meat, get home 6'ish and cook dinner. have cut out pots and pasta and only have a very small portion basmati rice when i do curries. still use root vegetables but not all the time. problem is that i still have foods around from before i was diagnosed so still trying not to waste those. so we eat dinner around 7/8 pm and then nothing until next am when i get up for work. :!: