grapes

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
why are grapes not good for diabetes.
Last year someone on the forum described grapes as sugar in skin bags! ......a perfect description, they are high on the GI too. I can't eat them, they spike my blood glucose way too much and it stays up for hours. You might get away with a couple but to be sure, best to test beforehand and again two hours later. Fruit isn't necessarily quite the healthy option we as diabetics, are led to believe.

Reactions: 2 people

Samanthacxo

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I'm type 1 & I eat grapes everyday as part of my healthy diet, I test two hours after eating a handful & my bg is still within a good range :)

I know that everybody is different but my dsn said I was safe to eat them in moderation & the fact that diabetics can't eat grapes, isn't true :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Beachbag

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Filling in forms! ;)
I'm type 1 & I eat grapes everyday as part of my healthy diet, I test two hours after eating a handful & my bg is still within a good range :)

I know that everybody is different but my dsn said I was safe to eat them in moderation & the fact that diabetics can't eat grapes, isn't true :)

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App
That's why I said op should test. As a type one you can probably eat stuff that I, as a type two can't, even though I'm insulin dependant.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
It depends on how many grapes you eat of course but, to make wine, you need lots of sugar and grapes do just that.

sugarmog

I've been having 4 or 5 grapes on my breakfast cereal recently. Left them off as an experiment this morning - no difference to my 2 hour reading

phoenix

Expert
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
It depends on how many grapes you eat of course but, to make wine, you need lots of sugar and grapes do just that.
Sacre Bleu, adding sugar! you'd start a riot if you said that round here. In fact it did back in 1907 and resulted in serveral deaths when vignerons protested about the production of 'artificial wines'.
(actually they do add in some of the cooler regions of France now and they do in the colder countries like Germany, the UK and US but other countries ban the practice.)
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Chaptalization

Last edited by a moderator:

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
Calm down Pheonix, I'm sure he wasn't suggesting you ADD sugars, merely that the wine-making process involves saccharomyces acting on the sugars within the grape.
No sugars = no fementation.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
Calm down Pheonix, I'm sure he wasn't suggesting you ADD sugars, merely that the wine-making process involves saccharomyces acting on the sugars within the grape.
No sugars = no fementation.

LOL, it wouldn't be the first time that the french adulterated some fine burgundies with the addition of some algerian plonk.

It is true though that sugar from sugar beet was added to the wine fermentation, illegally, because chromatography could not distinguish between alcohol made from grape sugars and alcohol made from beet sugars. There were several years where the alcoholic strengths simply did not match the cool summers and, less sweet grapes. I think the deaths phoenix refers to was the adulteration of wines with industrial alcohols.

carty

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Phoenix if you are having trouble finding out if the wine is suitable for you ,if you send it to me I will test it for you ;)
CAROL

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
LOL, it wouldn't be the first time that the french adulterated some fine burgundies with the addition of some algerian plonk.

It is true though that sugar from sugar beet was added to the wine fermentation, illegally, because chromatography could not distinguish between alcohol made from grape sugars and alcohol made from beet sugars. There were several years where the alcoholic strengths simply did not match the cool summers and, less sweet grapes. I think the deaths phoenix refers to was the adulteration of wines with industrial alcohols.

>> I have a horrible recollection it may actually have been anti-freeze and I do think there were resultant deaths :(

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I think it was a reference to the revolt in the depression, troops fired on the protestors, and killed several.

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
>> I have a horrible recollection it may actually have been anti-freeze and I do think there were resultant deaths :(

Yes, it's usually diethylene glycol which is the main constituent of anti freeze.

The first scandal was in Austria, then a few years after the french discovered that some of their producers were doing it.

1985 diethylene glycol wine scandal

The deaths were in Italy in 1986, same product adulteration.

http://www.theguardian.com/theguardian/2011/apr/05/1986-deadly-adulterated-italian-wine

squeezelouise400

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
I used to know a lady on insulin who would treat her hypos with grapes, they bring you round like lightening!
Grapes are nice on cereal with yogurt but I stopped having them due to my blood sugars running away with me.