More confusion ahead for Cholesterol?

C

catherinecherub

Just ben reading this article about HDL cholesterol

It would seem that in some of us the good cholesterol can start to behave badly.

Studies have suggested that a form of so-called good cholesterol can become dysfunctional and instead of protecting against heart disease becomes a promotor of it, actually clogging up and hardening the arteries.
http://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/271751.php
Any thoughts?

noblehead

Guru
Retired Moderator
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
Disrespectful people

It would seem that in some of us the good cholesterol can start to behave badly.

Studies have suggested that a form of so-called good cholesterol can become dysfunctional and instead of protecting against heart disease becomes a promotor of it, actually clogging up and hardening the arteries.
Any thoughts?

Yeah just the one Catherine.................oh dear:confused:

robert72

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
The researchers suggest their findings highlight some new possible targets for drugs that might prevent formation of dysfunctional HDL and thus block its promotion of atherosclerosis.

Yep... so we need more drugs :eek:

Yorksman

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Diet only
If something goes wrong with your blood chemistry, it might be bad for you.

Who could have ever imagined such a thing?

What next? "Old age maybe detrimental to your health."

Reactions: 6 people

Randy L

Type of diabetes
Family member
Treatment type
Insulin

Any thoughts?
I've got Great news catherinecherub, check out Dr. Perlmutter's book "Grain Brain" (or for free search "Dr Perlmutter on YouTube and check out the one that's Underground Wellness podcast #230) it will get rid of any current or future questions about All Cholesterol. Dr Perlmutter is a Neurologist, and has a degree in Nutrition also. AWESOME INFO that totally changes how you will look at cholesterol. The book and podcast also address the misinformation on the role that fats, carbs., and sugars play in our brain and total body.
Ps- I don't get any money from this. I'm just Very Excited about this new information.

Reactions: 4 people

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I've got Great news catherinecherub, check out Dr. Perlmutter's book "Grain Brain" (or for free search "Dr Perlmutter on YouTube and check out the one that's Underground Wellness podcast #230) it will get rid of any current or future questions about All Cholesterol. Dr Perlmutter is a Neurologist, and has a degree in Nutrition also. AWESOME INFO that totally changes how you will look at cholesterol. The book and podcast also address the misinformation on the role that fats, carbs., and sugars play in our brain and total body.
Ps- I don't get any money from this. I'm just Very Excited about this new information.

So, high blood sugar is directly related to Alzheimer’s, and all our brains will shrink?

http://articles.mercola.com/sites/articles/archive/2013/09/29/dr-perlmutter-gluten.aspx

That's something that should have been noticed by diabetics by now really, as yet another complication.

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other

Any thoughts?

Does it say what alters the cholesterol?

Andy12345

Expert
Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Doctors
coincidentally or not my mums mum was diabetic and also had alzheimers

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
Hey Douglass99, Dr Perlmutter, in his book "Grain Brain" tells how all cholesterol is GOOD, it's when it binds with Glucose, that problems occur.

I was thinking more of the study to be honest.

As to good or not, no idea.
However, it's not good if bg is high, so maybe low cholesterol, and low bs is the way to go if you're diabetic, then there's less cholesterol there to oxidise.

Last edited by a moderator:

douglas99

Type of diabetes
I reversed my Type 2
Treatment type
Other
I'd be very interested to know who sponsored the study,

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

"Grants from the National Institutes of Health (NIH) helped to finance the study."
The National Institutes of Health (NIH), a part of the U.S. Department of Health and Human Services ,

But one things for sure, like this forum, if anyone publishes a study, there will be ten others going through it with a fine tooth comb, so if anything is out of place, it'll be seen.

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)

Any thoughts?

>>Interesting. On top of that I was told by my doctor recently that some of the medication (particularly BP related medication) can actually supress the Healthy (HDL) cholesterol so although they give you targets they may not be achievable. Slightly disappointing after 3 years as type 2 to find out I may be chasing the impossible dream. J

CollieBoy

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Diet only
Dislikes
Hi carb Foods
>>Interesting. On top of that I was told by my doctor recently that some of the medication (particularly BP related medication) can actually supress the Healthy (HDL) cholesterol so although they give you targets they may not be achievable. Slightly disappointing after 3 years as type 2 to find out I may be chasing the impossible dream. J
Have you any links to which drugs these are please

jinstone

Type of diabetes
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
Dislikes
Not being able to eat deserts :)
Have you any links to which drugs these are please

>> I was put on blood pressure tablets after I blew 193/116 at the docs and was initially put on Losatran Potassium then in Natrilix Indapamide. I'm sorry but I can't remember which was the potential cause but I was advised that whilst my cholesterol levels were good it was likely that due to the blood pressure mediation I was unlikely hit the good targets for the HDL. I'm seeing the diabetic nurse on Wednesday I will try and remember to ask whether it is one, the other or both that cause the side effect. Just had a browse and it looks like it is the Indapamide but conflicting messages with some suggesting 5-7% increase and others reductions so can't guarantee which it was. Sorry

>> Having reviewed some of the posts on the internet I think it is the Indapamide by the looks of it that keeps your HDL lower i.e not hitting the target you expect, BUT as always check with your doctor or nurse.

Last edited by a moderator:

mpe

Any thoughts?

The actual issue here is with damaged lipoproteins. In this case the damage is to the protein component so the "cholesterol" bit probably comes from a reporter who dosn't know the difference between lipoproteins and steroids!

Even when damage to a lipoprotein is due to oxidation or glycation of cholesterol in the structural lipid layer this has nothing to do with the amount of cholesterol (or cholesterol esters) being carried inside the lipoprotein as "cargo".