Other
Treatment type
I do not have diabetes

victoria__1986

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
I suppose anything that makes it any easier and stops fingers getting hard and battered from all the testing is a good thing. But contact lenses??? I dont think I'd be able to handle them!

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I was always advised as a diabetic type 1 that needed glasses that I should NOT have contact lenses. This has been my advice from HCP's all my diabetic life. I think they will not be affordable on prescription, and most HCP's will advise against them.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

iHs

I wore soft contact lenses when I was in my 20's and 30's and was never told by my optician that I shouldnt as my bg levels were fairly well controlled. I didnt wear them every day though as I couldnt afford to do so. For me it was to do with vanity. I was ok but did need to use lubricant drops as smokey atmosphere caused irritation but other than that I was fine.

Regarding contact lenses being used to monitor glucose......... I would imagine that these would be made from a very very thin material so as to not cause any irritation

donnellysdogs

Master
Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Dislikes
People that can't listen to other people's opinions.
People that can't say sorry.
I got told it was because diabetics were at an increased risk of damage to eyes. I tried to persuade one optician just to give mr blue tinted ones for special occasions of going out...big no. I guess there will be many people that will have had contacts and type 1, but I will keep to my blood sticks.