One for the Ladies (Newly diagnosed type 1)

Willow85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Hey all,

So this is my first post. I'm 27 and I was diagnosed with Type 1 at the end of August, so it is still early days and have a lot more to learn. I am so far managing my levels but am finding that I have other issues which are stress related.

The timing hasn't been great as I just started my teacher training for a year (PGCE). I have found that I am loosing quite a lot of hair when I'm in the shower (Is this normal?) and wanted some advice on how to treat this. I have had some blood tests just to rule anything else out and they all came back clear. One suggestion has been to take multivitamins.

Another issue I have faced is that my periods have pretty much stopped. I might get the odd symptom of a tummy pains but then there is hardly any blood. Is this normal?

Would really appreciate some advice. I have found being diabetic quite a lonely process. It is hard to explain to 'non-diabetic' people what I'm going through.

clifton90

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Hello!!
I am 23 started my PGCE this year too and was diagnosed with type 1 last October.

Don't feel alone because you are not! There are more people with it than you think, I met 2 other irks on my course with type 1 and that has helped me start to realise that I shouldn't be ashamed or embarrassed as they were so open with it.

And tha hair thing I understand is a big worry when you are a girl especially! When I was diagnosed I noticed the exact same thing, so so much hair falling out on the shower and when brushing. It stopped but has come back again now but I think it may be to do with the weather? Rest assured I still have a full head of hair so I wouldn't worry too much! So many annoying things come with diabetes.

How are you coping with doing a pgce and managing levels? I'm trying to run my levels a bit higher than I normal like, between 7-8, so I don't drop low when I'm midway through teaching a lesson!

Willow85

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Heya, thanks for your response. It definitely makes it easier when you can speak to someone who is type 1. I am in a lucky position that my tutor has type 1 diabetes and he has said that he is happy to answer any questions I might have about it, so that's good.

In regards to my PGCE, I am finding it pretty tough and stressful. It's so full on, but I am finally on my first placement which is what I have been waiting for, so hopefully I can just enjoy this moment and it will remind me why I am doing the course.

Before being diagnosed with diabetes I tended to be quite a negative person, but find I am even worse now. I always think the worse and often find that I am feeling sorry for myself and am very sensitive. Still trying to get to grips with it all.

My levels have been alright, although I have experienced a few hypos. (Tends to be because I have left it too long between meals) My levels are anything between 4 and 9. Recently I had my 3 month blood check and I've gone from being 146 to 51 so good progress has been made.

Would like to get on a carb counting course, the next one is in February and involves 3 Mondays, which I don't think will work with my PGCE timetable.

Ideally I could do with a year out to get use to being diabetic and researching it in detail, but I am determined to carry on my life as normal as possible and focus on my teacher training.

victry77

The hair thing is called Telogen Effluvium. I had the exact same thing happen to me a couple of months after diagnosis.

What you have to remember is that your body has been under a high level of physical stress due to high sugar levels, and it's this stress that causes the hair shedding. However due to hair growth cycles, you don't actually notice the shedding until approx 2-3 months after the stress/trauma has occurred. It will eventually calm down.

Same with periods. Our periods are sensitive to emotional and physical stress and react by getting all out of whack. Again, I'm sure this will settle down.

I was diagnosed 6yrs ago with T1 at age 30. I'm doing great. My best advice, try to keep positive. Honestly, it really does help. Best of luck :thumbup:

DonnaC-T

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
My periods stopped about four months before I was diagnosed and returned again about the same time after. My doctor said it was perfectly normal x

Susan1974

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Do the DAFNE course. It will show you how you can miss meals etc providing your background insulin is correct for you and then you won't need to worry about typos when teaching. Good luck with it all and keep well. Keep good control because the alternatives are not good!