GlucoRx Nexus Blood Glucose Meter

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
GlucoRx Nexus Blood Glucose Meter I have been using this meter for the past 2 weeks and today just before my lunch I tested as forgot the 2 hour after breakfast test bs is 18.5 and a ? beside ketones but I don't know what this means can anyone help.all I had for breakfast was 2 Weetabix with milk and a banana and a decaf coffee both with a little sweetener the test was done about 3 hrs after eating

Engineer88

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
well to start with thats aa whole bunch of carbs! what waas your bg before breakfast?

the ? next to ketones is questioning if you have them (serous bad news for type 1) but i believe as your type 2 you cant get them. someone should be along shortly to confirm.

25 for wheatabix (2)
20 for banana
15 for milk

thats 60g of carbs - thats more than a full fat 500ml bottle of coke. each 10g of carb raises your bg 2-3m/mol

nymple

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I have the same metre. I believe if you get a reading higher than 16 it pops up with "Keytone?" As a suggestion to test for them as your BG level is high.

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
didn't test before breakfast as I was told not to only 2 hrs after im normally anywhere between 7-10 recently and have never been told what or what not to eat got appointment next week re diet

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
ok never been told abut keytones or how to test for them what should I do what are the symptoms. due to check bloods again at 2.30

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
If you are type 2, then keytones are probably not going to be a problem. Just make a mental note that there are too many carbs in that breakfast and not to have it again. Many Type 2's avoid bananas like the plague. If you want fruit then berries or underipe apples or pears are better. A good place to start with what to eat is http://www.dietdoctor.com/lchf - this may conflict with what they say at your appointment, but many (type 2) people on this forum eat this way as cutting carbs is the best way to lower your blood sugar levels.

Reactions: 3 people

teddybear74

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
im type 2 meltus been diet controlled for a year until after Christmas when my diabetes was turned on its head im now medicated with gliclazide 40mg twice a day and test 2 hrs after each meal

))Denise((

Type of diabetes
Type 2
Treatment type
Tablets (oral)
I take gliclazide too (40mg once a day). It seems a little strange the testing strategy you have. How are you going to know how particular foods affect you, if you don't test before meals and then two hours afterwards. You will never know what foods to avoid because you won't have a baseline.

Gliclazide can cause hypos but to me that seems to be the least of your problems.