How often do you change your needle?

SamJB

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Pump
Great post Jonty. I too have adjusted my habits. Especially since a potential 0.9% decrease in HbA1c is up up for grabs. Anyone know of any similar research on lancet reuse?

Alasdair

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well you'll be glad to know that I've definitley changed my habits and now changing the needle on my pens and blood tester every day. I love a sharp needle, even if it is a little bit inconvenient :)

Thanks for everyone's responses, confirmed what I thought I should be doing but never have. Also seems it sparked quite a debate but that's the beauty of forums!

picklebean

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Well I'm very happy to see people are taking enough interest in caring for themselves that they're willing to research and consider changes! This can only be a good thing!

One thing I would add about the pain - in fact I think someone else mentioned it too - often when you get the lumps from blunt needles it is those spots that end up being your 'favourite' spots to inject because they don't hurt so much... And it becomes a vicious circle where you're using blunt needles in spots that don't hurt but are getting more and more damaged....

Sarahg

I use a new needle everytime I inject! Was told by doctors in.hospital this was best thing to do :)

Sent from my GT-S5360 using DCUK Forum mobile app

superdom

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Being told I can't have this and that
JontyW said:
I use Lantus SoloStar / Humalog Kwickpen pens and only change the needles when I change the pens. I have always done this for the past 30+ years and have never found any problems with infection or pain etc. When you quote that .. "they are designed for single use", I'm not sure where that came from since it is quite clear that they can be used multiple times with absolutely no problems providing you are careful in handling them. Obviously in surgery and hospital use it has to be "use only once" .....

One advantage of multiple usage is that, in order to clear any air bubbles, you only have to do that once when the needle is added, so this ensures good dose accuracy with no chance of bubbles reducing the dose. On average I use about 3 to 4 needles per month and the last box of 100 needles lasted me over 2 years. Same with finger pricking lancets .. I only change it about once/month (~ 200 uses) and have never had any problems what so ever :) But I appreciate no everyone may have the same experience.

I am the same as JontyW. Been doing at least 4 injections a day for over 20 years.

Average 9 units of Novorapid 3 times a day therefore over 30 injections with the same needle, plus
Average 19 units of Lantus Solostar before bed therefore 15 injections with the same needle.
I have 8 injection sites on my body. They get used fairly equally. I have had the odd bruise, but don't think I have ever felt the insulin I am using is not working, so therefore will continue to max out on my single needle use.

I don't think I have changed my finger pricking lancet at all this year. That is 5-7 blood tests a day therefore over 500 pricks. No scarring, no pain, no issues. Though I don't profess to be doing "the right thing"

I have heard all the discussions and believe that everyone is right for their own circumstances.

Thundercat

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
As someone who has reused needles (not lancets) for nearly 3 decades the opinions stated in this thread have changed my thinking. It is handier and more convenient but now when I inject I can't help wondering about bacteria entering my blood stream. The new and unused needles are sterile and I guess there is a reason for that. Anyhoo, As of my next injection ( in the morning) I will be a one use only advocate

Sent from the Diabetes Forum App

Dillinger

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Celery.
I know this is an old thread; but I've been thinking about this very topic and having read the posts on here I'm going to change my needle for each injection going forwards.

I never used to worry about it really and would change only intermittently; probably when I changed the insulin cartridge in my pen.

I'm not worried about infections I'm worried about scarring/lipodystrophy and that link showing a possible 0.9 Hba1C improvement is a great encouragement.

So, thank you all for this; there's always something new to learn isn't there?

Best

Dillinger

Reactions: 2 people

kerrygrant26

Type of diabetes
Type 1
Treatment type
Insulin
Dislikes
Brown rice, all the negative attention diabetics get from the media
I change my needles at every injection and always click my lancets round for finger pricking, I can't imagine the pain of using a blunt needle :arghh: it's bad enough using Lantus with a fresh needle lol

Reactions: 2 people